Join the NEW Community Test Network (Running Now): "community1"

I HAVE REBOOTED THIS TOPIC AS A NEW TOPIC [HERE]("community1" Test Network is Alive, Join Us! "HERE) SINCE THIS ONE IS SO BURIED IN OUT-DATED INFO. PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION ON THE NEW TOPIC.

OUTDATED INFO BELOW (DISREGARD):
This is a fork of the “Community-run testnet Info!” thread, devoted to just this instance of a test network.

To join the very first ever SAFE Network Community Network (TM, Tadaa!), please get the redistributable for your system, unzip it and replace the contents of the safe_vault.crust.config with this, run it, and post your results here. No other steps necessary just to run a vault.

Then replace the text in the config of your launcher with the same text below, and run the launcher. You will probably have to create a new account, with new credentials. When you are logged in then run the demo app and upload some content.

For viewing other users’ websites on the test network, you will need to set your browser’s proxy. The two alternative methods are:

1. The most secure proxy method, for the paranoid (like me). However, you will need to turn it off to get back to the Internet.

2. The much less secure method. This is probably OK for these tests, just to see the *.safenet websites, and if you don’t care who knows that you have simply looked at the test safenet (like me). This method has the advantage of allowing you to access both *.safenet websites (after running the launcher) and the regular Internet.

{
  "hard_coded_contacts": [
    {
      "tcp_acceptors": [
        "91.121.173.204:5483",
        "88.19.209.226:5483",
        "207.172.241.242:5483"
      ],
      "tcp_mapper_servers": []
    }
  ],
  "tcp_acceptor_port": 5483,
  "service_discovery_port": null,
  "bootstrap_cache_name": null,
}

EDIT: Updated to add more IPs. Use the same config for launcher.

12 Likes

Only let it sit for for a few minutes so far, but just says “running listener”, not connections yet.

edit: yes I replaced safe_vault.crust.config

I now see three in my table.

suweet! restarted it and it fired right up. 2 in the routing table so far.

Tried starting up the launcher with normal config file as well as one with this edited IP address, neither work so far. Anyone else?

1 Like

I’m not having much luck with the Windows launcher. I edited its config to include only the seed vault and this is what I’m getting:

That’s with:

{
    {
        "91.121.173.204:5483"
      ],
    },
  ]
  "tcp_acceptor_port": null,
  "tcp_mapper_servers": [
  ]
}

As well as with:

{
    {
      ],
    },
  ]
  "tcp_acceptor_port": null,
}

This is exciting! Will jump in over the weekend

Why not just post this info to the main thread?

That’s exactly what it’s for

Because a moderator thought it was a mess there.

1 Like

With the Linux launcher, and edited config, I get these errors:

WARN 02:17:09.265474890 [w_result lib.rs:288] Failed to find an IGD gateway on network interface eth0 192.168.10.14. igd::search_gateway_from_timeout returned an error: IO error: Resource temporarily unavailable (os error 11)
WARN 02:17:10.335184063 [w_result lib.rs:288] Error deserialising a response from mapping server at address 91.121.173.204:5483: Deserialise error: IoError: failed to fill whole buffer. Response: “”. Are you sure you’ve connected to a mapping server?
WARN 02:17:10.386899036 [routing::core core.rs:1327] Connection failed: Proxy node needs a larger routing table to accept clients.
WARN 02:17:16.389437006 [w_result lib.rs:288] Failed to find an IGD gateway on network interface eth0 192.168.10.14. igd::search_gateway_from_timeout returned an error: IO error: Resource temporarily unavailable (os error 11)
WARN 02:17:17.460909549 [w_result lib.rs:288] Error deserialising a response from mapping server at address 91.121.173.204:5483: Deserialise error: IoError: failed to fill whole buffer. Response: “”. Are you sure you’ve connected to a mapping server?
WARN 02:17:17.513629466 [routing::core core.rs:1327] Connection failed: Proxy node needs a larger routing table to accept clients.

Taking the mapping server entry out, I get this:

WARN 02:20:43.898829224 [routing::core core.rs:1327] Connection failed: Proxy node needs a larger routing table to accept clients.
WARN 02:20:49.901465004 [w_result lib.rs:288] Failed to find an IGD gateway on network interface eth0 192.168.10.14. igd::search_gateway_from_timeout returned an error: IO error: Resource temporarily unavailable (os error 11)
WARN 02:20:51.052228985 [routing::core core.rs:1327] Connection failed: Proxy node needs a larger routing table to accept clients.
WARN 02:20:57.053446004 [w_result lib.rs:288] Failed to find an IGD gateway on network interface eth0 192.168.10.14. igd::search_gateway_from_timeout returned an error: IO error: Resource temporarily unavailable (os error 11)
WARN 02:20:58.172603966 [routing::core core.rs:1327] Connection failed: Proxy node needs a larger routing table to accept clients.

Maybe you were a little early in doing this topic. Well I guess get the problems sorted and update the original post were needed to reflect the correct info.

Or if you feel it will take time then maybe we merge the two topics and you start the new one with the bugs ironed out (when you are ready)

I’ve gone as far as I can for tonight.

We can get vaults talking, no problem, as we had 11 of them early on, with only one seed in the config.

The launcher won’t work unless it has enough entries in its config, as the error above shows. (At least the Linux error is much more informative than the Windows one).

I don’t know what the minimum number of entries is. I suppose I could start multiple vaults on the one host, each listening on a different port, each with its own entry in the config, and the launcher will think they’re all different. But that’s getting a bit ridiculous in terms of time to configure.

What is required for launcher use on the test net is for some minimum of participants to configure themselves as seed nodes as I described on the original thread. At least. And I still don’t know what tcp mapper nodes are.

You will need more than 8 vaults to be running. You only need one in the launcher config though that is accessible.

6 Likes

Actually, not so ridiculous in human labor: just a few minutes for each. I’m not sure about 8 nodes on one Celeron host with 2GB of RAM.

I’ll look at it again after I sleep on it.

This is what it is doing right, and iIll leave it running for now…

I have 7 vault running right now, with @bluebird that makes 8, and my launcher says “connected to safe network” whereas before it said “trying to connect”… So… Test network is live!

registered an account and everything.

4 Likes

www.wes.safenet is live! Anyone else able to connect? I know its almost all running on my computer, but it will still get put through the routing and crust as it would if it were fully distributed.

3 Likes

Well done @bluebird

I’ve got a connection for the vault - I did have three but reduced to just one… but then the launcher is unsuccessful, perhaps because the network is at its limit.

WARN 03:55:40.488457195 [crust::connection connection.rs:162] TCP direct connect failed: Connection refused (os error 111)
WARN 03:55:40.488586820 [crust::bootstrap bootstrap.rs:119] Error connecting to bootstrap peer: Connection refused (os error 111)

Might try again later today but expect we’ve broken the back of this now and with more nodes, should be able to maintain a community network on the next pass.

did you change the crust.config file for the launcher as well? Needs to be the same as the modified vault config.

Yes, I see it! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks wes that’s great!

www.hello.safenet :smiley:

1 Like