It is time for ERC20 MAID!

You’re right and I don’t think the Safe Network can solve all the problems. But it can help some people, and when that part of the people start acting in the ways that David describes, they will help their local communities even more.

I hope you and David will be right and that the future will be better for all.

Sadly the future from the trend I see is not so positive right know. Planet becomes hotter, the use of resources pushes eco-systems to the limit. The goals of reducing emissions and resources is countered by an ever growing world population and more people getting access to a higher standard of living. I hope to see some positive trend and attempts and they need to happen soon, preferably yesterday.

1 Like

Another reason to avoid blockchain :smiley:

3 Likes

Man, we live in a time when the Safe Network is being developed and we will see its birth. It’s like we were alive when the first people discovered the fire :fire:

4 Likes

Please make it happen soon, :slightly_smiling_face::wink: my apartment have been hotter than hell for the last three summers.

That will for sure give hope for a better future.

Hah, one more off-topic point I want to make, is that it is hard to even think about the difficulties people face in different conditions.

One example from Mozambique is that there is a shop that sells, amongst other things, plastic buckets, that are normal buckets BUT they have a small hole in the bottom. No one knows why there is this hole. Maybe some second class products that are “destroyed” by boring a hole there, but then some clever businessman decides to sell them to Africa anyway.

Now in western part of the world you wouldn’t even consider checking carefully if the plastic bucket you are buying is in working condition. But in Mozambique (and I guess in many African countries), you can buy all kinds of shit you wouldn’t even imagine can exist. So it is really no wonder if trust is a scarce resource there.

Ok, I just wanted to share this kind of funny anekdote, but to try to make this even a bit on-topic: “something to trust” could be one appeal of SAFE in many parts of the world.

2 Likes

I would sell 90% of my MAID holdings if I could. At any price to be honest. I dont think the price would go up if we became tradable on a DEX. Look at the pattern. Old coins dump, new projects rise when it comes to altcoins. If it can be done without losing time I guess I would benefit from it. But I would sell 90% of my holdings right away. We could go so close to zero that the fee wont cover the affair. Do it only, if it does not cost us any time before we have a working net. The best bet for any of the investors in MAID is a working product now.

2 Likes

I am interested. Write me a private message, I’m sure we find a way.

4 Likes

News about SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet service:

Results from Ookla’s Speedtests shared on [Reddit] and noted by *[Ars Technica] show the constellation is currently offering download speeds of between 35 and 60 megabits per second, upload speeds of between five and 18 megabits per second, and response times of between 31 and 94 milliseconds.

And that’s only in the test phase. Projected speeds at launch are gigabit down, 30Mbps up with a latency of about 30ms, good enough for gaming, for about $80 a month. You only need electricity and the small uplink antenna, a “UFO on a stick” pointed at the open sky (purchased for about $100-$300 or rented). These prices will still leave some priced out of the market but it is a good start.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!!!

2 Likes

In a sense, I don’t think there’s too much discrepancy between this and what Dimitar is saying. Even an initiative such as what is described above requires capital (i.e. money). At the end of the day—as most of us no longer barter but use monetary currency as the medium of exchange—money has become a central mediator in our lives. I think we must distinguish between love and utilization. While “the love (or pursuit for pursuit’s sake) of money is the root of all evil”, the utilization (or employment to create value) of money is the mechanism by which we survive in hopes to thrive.

To achieve both what David illustrates and Dimitar proposes will require a thriving SAFE economy (I.e. strong price performance, healthy Network adoption, convenient SAFE:fiat access/exit ramps, etc.). The question is how we get to that thriving economy. To bring it back to this thread’s topic: I still don’t think ERC20.SAFE is the answer; however, I can see the benefit ERC20.MAID (when paired with broader exchange access) could pose today in setting up a thriving SAFE ecosystem tomorrow.

Also, this might provide some food for thought on the way crypto (which for all practical intents and purposes SAFE is) can help facilitate economic exchange and commerce in countries with weaker economic infrastructure. For any crypto currency to play such a role, it must have a thriving economy as described above:

1 Like

I mostly agree, but the real poor will barter and possibly not have money at all. It’s a deep issue. SAFE will help many more than today, but alone it will not help all. I cannot remember the number of unbanked in the world but it is a lot (well over 1 billion). SAFE or money may not help, there is probably a huge relief effort to get some basic infrastructure in place etc.

The slightly better off that have basic infrastructure and can get folk to take gold/dollars etc. in exchange for food can possibly use a cryptocurrency, possibly. They are arguably more likely to make use of information.

Then the slightly better off again are likely within the reach of data and money.

I think the problems are massive that are being discussed and well funded charities and gov level aid packages are in the billions and still, they starve. It’s not so simple as saying shoot some cash at these people, there is a ton to do and getting past their governments is likely a massive job. WE say btc gets past borders, but the other side of the border needs basic infrastructure. I think we miss that a lot.

So the target minimum infrastructure/resource requirements are real and hard to break down. They do exist though.

3 Likes

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think charity perpetuates the problem because it does exactly that—simply shoots some cash into the system rather than building the (sociocultural) economic infrastructure that will catalyze self-sustaining growth. Giving people money will (almost) never lift them out of poverty; providing people with a mechanism to make and a vision for how to deploy money can.

I’ll contrast the US and Nigeria as an example. I have an uncle who studied computer science and an aunt who studied microbiology in Nigeria. Neither one was able to use their degrees in any meaningful way b/c Nigeria for (sociocultural) economic reasons lacks the infrastructure to make and deploy money in a constructive way. Had they been in the US, they would have had an easier time plugging into the existing infrastructure to find jobs aligned to their areas of study. Charity or (unstructured and ineffective fiscal policy) just leads to more people with more degrees that they can’t use.

4 Likes

I 100% agree, same with state aid, I recall a person, possibly Nigerian saying stop sending us money, the Gov takes it and buys guns etc. Instead he called for education and access to the world (I read it as data).

9 Likes

Agreed. NGOs dumping grain, destroy markets for local farmers in the name of charity.
They also have eliminated the job of the tailor by dumping clothing from the West on them. I suppose this job would have disappeared anyway but these folk don’t need NGOs accelerating the process.

1 Like

Does it not? Several experiments show that people who actually get cash unconditionally use them to benefit their lives. They know best what they need. They fix their leaking roof. They buy tools to farm. They buy a goat. There is a misconception that poor people can’t take care of themselves and therefore shouldn’t be trusted to handle money.

2 Likes

Corruption in the charity industry is rife and well-documented. That charity as practiced today (and which is often a front for money laundering and tax evasion) doesn’t work is also well documented. This is not to say that we should not help our fellow man. However, it is to say that there are no quick fixes, people are seldom as altruistic as they present themselves to be (I.e. there are often ulterior motives), and simply throwing money at a problem doesn’t fix it. The underlying root causes must be addressed. Better than writing a check or even building a school (so that kids can graduate and have no where to work), help build the economic infrastructure and industry necessary to catalyze self-sustaining development (e.g. build a company, hire the locals, pay them well).

In the US, Nigerians are the most educated foreign nationals. We are here because there aren’t opportunities in Nigeria. Nigeria would be better off if we built business there rather than just sending checks back to our families who could not leave.

5 Likes

30 posts were split to a new topic: Inarticulate/incorrect descriptions of what SAFE is or isn’t

I am curious about the direction we are moving into from here with the ERC20 token. Is there a knowledgable group in charge that is discussing how we will proceed with the offer that was made?

I have seen this conversation drift into all kinds of directions, floating away from the subject.

I think we should embrace the option.

3 Likes

Well…

And…

So, I think moving forward is likely contingent upon:

• @SwissPrivateBanker’s continued interest
  • MaidSafe hiring someone (or someone technical from the community volunteering) to help set this up
4 Likes