Isn't maid safe just a more expensive version of the internet?

i was aware that certain information was accessible but i though bank accounts/credit card numbers were not

And aren’t medical notes private?

Every time you purchase something online your credit card number is sent to the company you bought it from.

They store this info on their servers which can then be hacked. This data can also be grabbed during transmission.

This year alone tens of millions of people had their personal data and banking information stolen from websites and servers.

The SAFE Network can prevent this by encrypting data and not storing it at one central point like a server.

1 Like

1 Like

I didn’t think companies were allowed to store payment info like this for these reasons…

i also thought payment info was already encrypted but that this wasn’t a bullet proof way of ensuring that a hacker couldn’t de-crypt it…

I agree privacy is not important to many people until it gets abused and you find yourself being blackmailed, because your whole life is on the internet.
A good hacker can find out everything about you and your family, you maybe at work and get a message that your mothers house is going be threatened at this time.
So maid safe have an option you may want to use for peace of mind.
For myself to have websites to put up with no servers or hosting with yearly subscriptions or having to pay $15 for domain name is valuable and knowing the data is very safe and secure is a nice feature.

So I think people have many different reason using the safe network, some reason maybe not so obvious now.

2 Likes

All sorts. As people are becoming more aware of what is collected, by whom, how easily it can get into the hands of people they don’t want to have it, and the many ways this creates problems, people are shifting from mostly saying they don’t mind to they do mind. For example, see:

2 Likes

…well maybe in the beginning…as the network grows I expect it to become more and more attractive for a diversified number of reasons, even casual browsing and reading (uncensored) news etc., that is after years of delivering exceptionally and being endorsed and having gained a critical mass of course :smile:

1 Like

A HUGE POINT here is that services will also come out on SAFE that are similar to the “free” Facebooks and Googles like you’re talking about.

People will create apps on it, and get mega rich (like FB & G did on the clearnet), and they will no doubt use some of that billions in profit to create apps to allow people to upload photos etc for free.

Why? Because it will create more customers, more word-of-mouth, and more business.

When that happens, SAFE will have the best of both and be far superior in every single way.

Security and privacy by default. It IMHO should be your choice when to relinquish them. The current system has tremendous flaws. One of the greatest being centralization. In this case, a malicious person knows where to look for targeted data. SAFE avoids this by not only by hiding and locking your files but by breaking it into small pieces that together make the whole. A malicious ass mouth (i.e. hacker) would be highly inconvenienced by this. To take it further, SAFE doesn’t allow for a person to probe for data. Any such attempts would be detected and would cause the ass mouth to be disconnected. There are also at least 4 copies of each piece your data on the network to guarantee that it will not be lost in the case of a computer failure of those who hold it.

Permanence, security, and censorship resistance is IMO the reason to choose SAFE above the rest. As Seneca stated before, because of the cost, garbage data like pictures of the dump a person took every day of the week will likely not contaminate SAFE as much as it would the current internet. Quality over quantity.:wink: Needing to spend a few cents here and there will likely not deter those who wish to PUT things on the network of relatively great importance.:smile:

1 Like

Also this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge reason we need PtP!!!

So that you can make a return (SafeCoin profit) off the traffic from the data you upload.

So every photo / vid, content, etc you submit to the world is like an investment that can have an ROI. Much better than clearnet

1. Dropbox users pay - if not with real money in case of a premium plan, they pay with their data.
  2. Enterprises like Dropbox and Facebook of course PAY for their infrastructure. They COULD do the same with SAFE, but it is unlikely to happen even though some people expect tat to happen.

The truth is: many modern enterprises make money by “selling” user data. That´s the backbone of a whole economy. With SAFE this is unlikely to happen. I don´t see people getting rich, because the users are not anymore prompted to sell the data.

So yeah, SAFE is not more expensive, it´s just a different currency. If you sold all your data and don´t really care doing so, you are most likely not a SAFE-person.

1 Like

Thanks for all your in depth responses - i hope this will help others who are interested in maidsafe potential.

2 Likes

Yes, so people may want to farm more than use the SAFE network. With farming users earn safecoins. Storing data costs safecoins. This may potentially produce too few users actually using the SAFE network for storing data resulting in a too weak network effect which causes the whole network to collapse. And this risk prevents people from counting on the SAFE network as a safe storage solution. A vicious circle.

Nope. Messaging/email produces enough PUT and GET frequency to allow for continued farming and thus persistence. SAFE is designed to be self sustainable even with the lowest level of activity. Beautiful isn’t she?!:blush:

1 Like

It’s just that @Anders really want to have free PUTs and uses every opportunity to claim that elsewise the project won’t have success #crystalball

2 Likes

If the messaging and mail services are free then that might work. Tough to compete with ordinary email though.

!!!:confused:

Dude do more research. I too was without understanding at one point. It gets better. No shame.:wink: Check the related RFC’s. Good stuff. Almost titillating.:yum:

2 Likes