Is there a complete idiots guide to buying maidsafecoin?

Buy Bitcoin go to exchange and exchange for Maidsafecoin :slight_smile:

Fees are not an issue. They are literally cents on the dollar.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks for the help Neo. And obviously I’d use the private key that starts with 5 at the bottom left hand corner of the Wallet Details page for my omniwallet. Right?

1 Like

only use the private key when you want to spend or transfer the coins… to view your balance you use the public key with “add watch only address” that way they stay safe and offline.

2 Likes

Yes. For omniwallet

As @Josh says the private key is only needed to send funds (coins) from that address. To view the balance do as @Josh says and use omniwallet.org front page and enter the address to see the values without creating a wallet or create one and use the “watch only address” feature of omniwallet, where you only need to use the address to keep an eye on your coins.

1 Like

Learned alot in this thread THANKS!

So you can store MAID in a paper bitcoin wallet?

Can you store other alt currencies in a bitcoin wallet?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, or any bitcoin wallet for which you have the private key.

2 Likes

I have just made some private keys but none start with a number 5, would it still be ok to store by maidsafe in the public key and send them from there in the future ok?

You will need the corresponding private keys if you want to make a future transaction. If you send your MaidSafe coins (or bitcoins) to another address (ie public key) you are basically running a programme saying that you give the person who owns the private key to that address the right to spend them.

If this all seems a bit too complicated then I can recommend coinpayments.net. They give you the option of being able to store MaidSafe coins in a vault, which means there’s a time delay before being able to spend and adds to security.

I’ve read through this thread, and have a few questions. If there are links to answer my questions, I’m fine just reading those as well if you can show me where the information is at.

Will I see a balance when I send the MAID coins to the BTC address? I guess I’m a bit confused how the BTC wallet is able to hold this particular crypto.

Also, I’ve read that there will be a 1 to 1 conversion of MAID to SAFE once this goes live, but it was only someone posting it on a forum. Is there anything to read about how that is going to work out? I am very interested in this, but I don’t want to just throw money away on something too early if I’m buying in too early.

You can see your MAID coins (which are OMNI protocol tokens) by using a block explorer that knows how to interpret the OMNI protocol. https://omniexplorer.info/

The MAID to SAFE conversion isn’t defined yet, but it is to be 1:1, and I suspect would involve sending MAID to a burn address along with a desired SAFE address at which to receive the SAFE coins.

I gather you have the public address & private key for each address

If you go to bitaddress.org and select the “Wallet Details” page you can enter the private key and see all the forms it can take. All the different forms are the same key, just encoded differently. At the moment omniwallet.org prefers to or only works with private key encoding starting with “5”

When sending to an address you use the public address and you must have the private key to that address otherwise you cannot use the funds in that address later on.

Also when using bitaddess.org it is suggested to be offline, so goto the page then go offline.

1 Like

I stored a very small amount of MAID in a bitadress.org wallet.

Maybe a dumb question, but how do i get USD/EUR again.

I think something like this:

• Import my private key to a other wallet.
  • Send this to a bittrex adres
  • exchange for bitcoin
  • Sell bitcoin for USD/EUR

Am i in the right direction?

Thanks!

1 Like

That’s correct, plus:

• you need a small amount of bitcoin at the same address as your maid, which will be used to pay the maid transfer fee
  • the only wallet I know that can move maid at this time is Omniwallet.org
3 Likes

I just send a small amount of MAID to a publich BTC adress and tried to check the balance on omniwallet and omniexplorer but only a BTC balance shows up.
A friend told me that I should see Token 3 or something along this. What went wrong?
Thanks!

Sometimes it takes some time to show up. There are a few places that are experiencing long delays with all the btc activity. How long ago did you send?

Thanks for your reply. Wasn’t too long ago. I’ll check again later.

Has taken 24 hours or so. Sometimes within 20 minutes and other times hours.

Thanks for the great info everyone. I’ve followed the instructions and have an interesting issue.

1. Bought 600 MAID on Poloniex.
  2. Created BTC Address pairing offline using bitaddress.org.
  3. Sent 600 MAID from Poloniex to my new public bitcoin address. Poloniex gives confirmation and TX number (87a79c64ea43614523d3003e02e473fb33eee968d4e4c147676d523842a6f8ab).
  4. I’ve now been to Bitcoinexplorer.org to check that the coin has been transferred to the offline wallet.

Result: 12 confirmations BUT I get an “Unparsed Address” error. Coin was not transferred.

Clearly I’ve screwed up…any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance for your time.

The coins are there.
Use omni explorer
http://omnichest.info/lookuptx.aspx?txid=87a79c64ea43614523d3003e02e473fb33eee968d4e4c147676d523842a6f8ab

1 Like