Is the Safecoin Economy Deflationary and would it be better with Inflation built in?

Just how much do you think it will take? If there are millions of computers sharing the load, only a few packets are going to be stored on your machine, and of those only a few will be retrieved frequently.

I don’t think the load will be that heavy or the system will not work… You are going to pay for bandwidth either way…

Even if the farming software requires only little computing resources (I have my doubts about that), in order to farm effectively my computer would have to keep running 24/7. I would need a separate computer for that.

Wouldn’t that also mean very few safecoins earned? And wouldn’t my computer have to be running 24/7 in order for my farm to gain and maintain a high enough rank?

Their is a difference between the average user and a commercial farmer. You only need to keep it on 24/7 to maximize your profits. The average user will only have it on when they are using it, to make just enough to use the network. A commercial farmer will have better hardware and not have an issue running 24/7.

Once again, commercial versus average farmers.

Unlike bitcoin, the SAFE Network will not require expensive machines to compete.

Unlike bitcoin mining SAFE farming only works when there is work to do - not for the sake of work itself…

But you can do as you like… If you want to buy an extra machine, it’s your investment and your risk. My bet is that you will lose to all the people that don’t. The incentive rewards won’t pay extra for your system over all of the other people who are contributing without additional investment.

I don’t think the network requires dedicated farmers. It is happy either way. I suspect there will always be an abundance.

3 Likes

I think the farming node has to be running 24/7 in order to gain and maintain a high enough rank. Otherwise there would hardly be any safecoins farmed at all, or?

There you go assuming again without any facts.

Edit: I know trumps I think every time.

Many people probably have one or more old computers they could set up as farming equipment. So I think there is a lot of farming capacity available. It’s just that the farming reward needs to be high enough I believe.

Once again, where are you getting your facts?

1 Like

Ok - to address the non-divisibility (@anon81773980)

Safecoin itself won’t be divisable, but there can be e.g. SafeCents introduced (1 SC consisting of 4.3 billion SCt)
as soon as devisibility is needed it will be there :slight_smile: if you want to know details just search for safecoin divisibility in the forum :open_mouth: i’m confident you will find the answer you are looking for

3 Likes

It’s similar to bitcoin mining. The miners would stop mining if the reward was too small. It will be much easier to farm for safecoins, but it’s still about having enough reward. And that’s why I propose a flat inflation rate, so that farmers can keep on being rewarded a lot. And free data storage. To make the network grow. I strongly doubt that the network will grow enough if there is a cost for storing data.

This is discussed in great length by the devs and forum members and is a excellent way to create divisibility with Safecoin.

2 Likes

This goes back to basic economics. The SAFE Network accounts for supply and demand and rewards farmers accordingly. Unlike bitcoin witch rewards miners at a fixed rate.

Edit: So, is different than Bitcoin mining.

2 Likes

@betterthantrav @Anders :smiley: and I really was afraid I had to read 140 posts to be able to comment not too foolish on deflationary economics topic xD

it was mentioned somewhere that the farming algorithm is aimed to be in a way that after half an hour running or so your score should be high enough to get coins … of course with 24/7 the reward would be higher … but running costs too …

4 Likes

…and I don’t think free storage is a good idea … it’s like an invite to break the system…

hahaha oooooh therefore you want inflation xD now i get it … sorry slow in my head … nobody pais for storage but farmers get paid :open_mouth: … a storage-maintanance-token that doesn’t maintain storage :wink:

3 Likes

Only %20 higher ifi Denver correctly. Erich only gives a slight advantage. Giving the little guy the ability to compete and keeping the SAFE Network decentralized.

@Anders your statements about farming are either based on misunderstanding the current approach, or betray a set of circumstances/aims which are very particular to you.

So it is wildly misleading to say that farming

• will use a lot of CPU or bandwidth
  • requires a machine to be on all the time
    etc.

For some farmers, this will be the case, but not for many. The aim is for as many people as possible to farm, using very basic devices, including mobile phones.

So you almost certainly will be able to farm in the background using your existing machine. How much this is worth to you, obviously no-one can say, but you’ll have a good opportunity to find out by joining in the testing before real farming starts, and then you and others can decide whether to dedicate a machine to it, whether to leave it on all the time etc.

4 Likes

It is funny how pesky basic economics ruins your plans for free stuff.

2 Likes

Why do you discard my arguement that it is different than bitcoin mining? Seems like you answer without reading?

3 Likes