Is the community getting tired of maidsafe

Well at least it can be entertaining. This reminds me of the smurfs: Is it much farther Papa Smurf? - YouTube.

2 Likes

[quote=“Jabba, post:164, topic:12159”]
Well, this is a bit different since this is a liquid proposition that is up by 10x in the last year. You can’t sell the half done work to your house for 10x profit. If it’s liquid then you’re not tied to it, so you can just exercise freedom and sell, as @Traktion says. [quote=“Jabba, post:164, topic:12159”]

Yes, of course, I was going to suggest giving this kind of answer to complaining investors./speculators rather than jumping all over them and I agree @Traktion is correct here.
This only applies to those who are complaining from an investor perspective though - what about those who actually wanted a kitchen building and have been left with nowhere to cook? Or those who wanted to eat the meals cooked in the kitchen?These would be the app developers and those wishing to use the apps. Would these not have legitimate complaint?

This is the part |I take issue with. If this is true and was known, then it should have been stated at the start - you can’t use this excuse retrospectively. .

1 Like

yes fair enough. [quote=“Al_Kafir, post:166, topic:12159”]
This is the part |I take issue with. If this is true and was known, then it should have been stated at the start
[/quote]

probably true too, but understandable and forgivable. It might have been hard and felt insincere to say - ‘we have no idea how long it will take’. They thought they had some idea. So I’m going to go ahead and forgive them for it retrospectively. I think it’s a mistake anyone could have made.

I don’t disagree with you that people have the right to moan, they do. I also agree that we should take it on the chin and own it (I think maidsafe do a fair job of that).

I’m not entirely sure what I do disagree with. I guess that the moaning is really helpful. I want the product and I’m happy that my notional balance is up, I’m disappointed that it has taken so long, but I appreciate how hard they are working and why. Most of all I just want a digital universe where we can be free of dominion. At the end of the day that’s way more important than my utility or profit margin. This project is trying to do something profoundly good and important. I guess perhaps that’s why many of us are so passionate and defensive.

3 Likes

My exact words…lol[quote=“Jabba, post:167, topic:12159”]
I also agree that we should take it on the chin and own it (I think maidsafe do a fair job of that).
[/quote]

Me too…making excuses just makes us look bad, I totally agree with the rest of your post and how people’s defensive reactions are perfectly understandable. Like you say, passions run high with those of us who have more than money invested in Maidsafe’s vision. It’s all good guys… kissy kissy :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Just wanted to point out that there are now 166 posts to a thread claiming to expose waning interest in Maidsafe. Sort of the opposite of, “That restaurant’s so crowded no one goes to it anymore.”

FWIW I’m one of the many (I assume) who know little about the tech, so doesn’t weigh in often, but who reads these threads religiously. I don’t know for certain what will happen, but I trust the intelligence and tenacity of the team to give the project the best chance of success.

I’m also an investor in MAID, because I’d feel like a damn fool if this project succeeded and I didn’t get in at the ground floor (and yes, anything under 1b is still very much the ground floor imo).

13 Likes

SAFE is like knowing you could have peace instead of war if you could just get the SAFE stuff. Or maybe if you got it fast enough you could avoid global war or extinction. Its a waiting for the ambulance situation. The quality of laws and whether we can address climate change in time and everthing else seem to depend on getting the promise of the internet back. Its a: how long can you hold your breath before you pass out situation. Its not the arms race I used to think it was, no its needing a threshold type advantage right now, its survival. Its having the gun in your hand but not knowing if you can get the magazine in quick enough to keep from getting a bullet in the head. To me SAFE could replace the news narrative almost over night with the kind of stuff wikileaks does. It could break the public’s trance, the public has to be startled awake from its slumber at the wheel before it slams the car into a wall. Its like knowing there is a intruder in the house in the middle of the night and not knowing if you can rouse people in time for any kind of acceptable outcome.

SAFE will raise human conciousness.

Here is a devestating ad that shows how needed it is:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DhUeyqLTsGJs&ved=0ahUKEwiiqtu104bTAhUBTGMKHZYQCZAQwqsBCCUwAg&usg=AFQjCNG4yAZU5mCc0rI1JIBvghPTy9Jl7w&sig2=mZoRfgZGjKMJrYrhqG40KA

8 Likes

The team was very careful about giving out predictions and deadlines, that was a constant struggle that was persistent in the forum with the newcomers.
The MaidSafe team has always were realistic about it, they knew they couldn’t give any deadlines, and it is understandable considering that they were building something never tried before from the ground up testing out unexplored territory. Giving out any kind of prediction would be at best tentative.

Using your analogy about the construction worker, it is absolutely unfair to compare between a typical building which any architect or construction worker might be able to estimate based on previous experience on similar projects, to an experimental design that was never tested before.
The level of uncertainty and lack of existing standards, it becomes a genuine experimental journey where you are the one setting up the standards to even begin fabricating the components, inventing processes that doesn’t exist and stress testing them before even initiating the construction.

You can’t compare the estimation of someone who gets assigned to design this:

To someone who gets the contracts to building this:

In any case, the biggest uncertain hurdle was passed last year, and now we are entering a much more predictable territory. If these users can’t see it, well I hope they short their MaidSafeCoins because I am buying them aggressively every time it dips.

Comparing the development of MaidSafe with other blockchain based forks, it’s comparing apples and shit. Honestly, any implication that the MaidSafe team is anything less professional than the wannabes shitcoins out there is insulting and plain ignorant.

You are just using the argumentum ad populum because you don’t seem to have the technical understanding to tell the qualitative difference between all these projects.

5 Likes

quote=“piluso, post:171, topic:12159”]
The team was very careful about giving out predictions and deadlines
[/quote]

Sorry to do this, but it is necessary to put this line to bed so we can move on.

"It’s a short hop from here to full capability, we just need to test carefuly and then release it to the world. Then we can watch as things change and this network evolves."

David Irvine Nov 2013

I think it is reasonable for people to have been left with the impression that launch was close - not 4 years away. You can argue all day long about how carefully worded things have been, but that doesn’t help anything. we have to accept legitimate complaints, not argue them away in a mealy-mouthed manner.

8 Likes

Of course, Blockchain< Maidsafe, the same tiresome argument about how great Maidsafe is even though nothing really works yet and how s**t everything else outside it is :joy::joy:. Even David stated that he looks forward to collaborate with other open source projects but neah fanboys aren’t fanboys if they don’t sacrifice on the altar
I won’t try to convince you of anything else because you are clearly one sided here, but I’ll tell you this, Maidafe ICO was before Ethereum and the expectation was that it will rock the world and poop on the Ethereum VM. Look where we are now…:+1:

1 Like

I invested in maidsafe over ethereum. Was I wrong? I don’t hear a fat lady singing yet.

6 Likes

Dude, why the hell did you even invest in MaidSafe?
“Nothing really works”? Really? What a joke.
As I said before, you can’t even tell what are the technical differences between projects to have an educated own opinion.
You are just following hypes and checking who says what about this or that.

If you can’t clearly tell why MaidSafe is superior to blockchain based technologies, and what areas blockchains will be superior to MaidSafe, you haven’t really invested, you just played the lottery.

Really? You do have selective memory. Ethereum had endless delays to the point that I remember Nick Szabo sharing his exasperation because it was also suffering endless delays. This is expected for projects doing something for the first time.
And because of the pressures of the public Ethereum was launched half-baked and what happened then?
First it has attacked with DoS, then fuckin DAO happened, and auto-DoS, then reversing transactions on a hard fork, and then more DoS.
You can’t afford to have a Dao type of fuckups in MaidSafe.

@Al_Kafir now go to the search when David decided to refactor to Rust and see if there is any other prediction about timelines.

3 Likes

It was all sunshine and time lines until Rust entered the picture.

2 Likes

@Al_Kafir would know this if he wasn’t banned, by the mods, from the forum for the last decade.

Lol, too soon?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Actually there was much said that could have been taken a number of ways depending on ones mind set.

As an engineer myself and involved in R&D projects at various times over the last 4 decades, I saw the positive words for what they were and so did many others like yourself. BUT for many others the words said something different. So while they may not have been predictions they did convey “(very) soon” to many others and nothing critical about their perception, its just different people takes things differently. Definitely agree though that after RUST the actual predictions reduced to basically none.

Keep moderation issues for meta please. Also you are wrong. Anyone can read the forums anytime. Needless to say that was a bit below the belt and should not be said.

6 Likes

Why I(everyone?) invested in Maidsafe? Because I believed the project had potential.I profited from it, I still think it has potential if it gets released for mass usage sometime and I still trade the coin

Ethereum bugs and failures they were there and still are, but even so we look at a mcap of $4 billion+ vs a project that might run out of funds again this year :joy:

Joke or no joke, I won’t continue this argument, my main idea is that we should cut the Maidsafe cult bulls**t and look at things how they are, a permanently delayed project for 10 years that MIGHT be released at some pint if and if. I hope it succeeds though :wink:

4 Likes

Yeach but that was necessary for use with a browser right?

Actually this is a great analogy. I remember watching a show recently on how they designed and built one of the BIG stadiums in China for the Olympics. Basically they had to change a critical part of the design once they already had the structure. It delayed them but it worked in the end and it worked well, like really well. It was the Beijing National Aquatics Centre - Wikipedia AKA Bubble Stadium.

2 Likes

Great comparison, and it’s like whenever someone does one of these comparisons It’s like ‘yeah and thats one’. SAFE can be compared to the clear web, TOR, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Freenet etc etc etc …

1 Like