Is the community getting tired of maidsafe

Too many variables to be able to say this with more than 1% confidence. There was a significant amount of bug fix & development during alpha 1

I am not saying it will be this year, but your assumption is not accurate. It is possible you are right that beta will be next year, but it is definitely possible beta will be this year. The dev team is growing, the new features are now less per alpha and once MDs are implemented testSAFEcoin will be on the radar.

We are going to have wait and see.

8 Likes

As per Nick in the recent podcast with John, Alphas should take progressively less time… hopefully.

So alpha 1 suffered a huge delay and created a lot of work with disjoint sections. We’re all praying that alpha 2 will indeed be much shorter and alpha 3 will evolve to beta.

Of course there’s no way to know how long they’ll take. But Alpha 2 should not take as long as Alpha 1 did, so your reason for taking a stab at guessing times falls at the first hurdle.

The project has also been running for 11 years. There have been a lot more than 3 delays. I’d say it was prudent to expect more. I try not to have too many expectations for timing, but I have very very high expectations for results.

8 Likes

Say what you want, but I’m ready for full network launch tomorrow :smiley: :smiley: optimist

4 Likes

Also remember the exponential progress of information technology. As Ray Kurzweil says, timing is crucial. The SAFE network needs to start not too soon nor too late, even though I hope there will be a Beta release in 2017.

4 Likes

TOR has around 1,5 to 2 million users.

TOR:

• Browse the main internet in a more secure way.
  • Browser hidden .onion websites using the TOR Browser.
  • Quite hard to create hidden website as you need a online server.

SAFE:

• Browse SAFE websites using the SAFE Browser.
  • Create an account that’s used for mail, chats and more.
  • Quite easy to upload a website, no server needed.

These 2 technologies complement each other. I expect a load more attention when we’re moving to the SAFE Browser with Authenticator.

13 Likes

As I said before, I rather seeing the SafeNetwork first validated as a nice secure enterprise application rather than generating the first impression that it is a nastier “deep web”.

5 Likes

"Is the community getting tired of maidsafe? I am and so are others like me, but even so I regularly check the updates hoping a final general public release is near. It’s almost three years since I invested in the ICO and been interested by Maidafe and I’ve profited quite a lot from it, but going through old maidsafe threads since 2010 it looks like the speech was always the same: release is near if no bugs are found in this iteration we’ll go public etc etc. but things were never finalized. I really wish the team best of luck and make 2017 be the release of Maidsafe to the entire world hoping 10+ years of effort were not in vain

4 Likes

You made your money. Stop whining.

It Isn’t all about the $$ amigo

1 Like

I don’t get your point in complaining. I would have understood if you complained last year or the one before, but complaining now doesn’t make sense. The team is making tangible advances every week.

4 Likes

Yeah, I sympathise with the frustration and disappointment in having to wait so long for something so cool. It’s a bit like being a kid and your parents keep postponing xmas until you start to think it will never come.

But as Piluso says, we’ve seen them bringing in the xmas tree and sticking up the first decorations. It isn’t xmas day yet, it probably isn’t even xmas eve if we’re talking ‘live’ launch, but it certainly feels more like it is on top of us now.

I think we all share some of your feelings of frustration, but none more so than the team themselves I’d wager.

The painful wait will just make the big reveal all the sweeter.

Patience is a virtue and it will be rewarded by keeping us off the naughty-list and santa’s sack will be overflowing with the most amazing gifts of freedom, security, utility, money etc.

:innocent:

12 Likes

Indeed, so why make a big deal about it?

I may have missed it, but your username did not show up too often when we were getting on with actually testing the various testnet iterations.
What have you actually contributed in here? We know you boasted about making money off your speculation on the coin. Thought about giving something back? How about chucking back some of your gains in renting a few AWS instances when the time is right?
A little testing time and effort perhaps? Its not a particularly high technical barrier to entry. A wee bit RTFM and ask some questions, you’ll get plenty help. Hell if I can do it…

If you are tired of the project, stop posting in here. We are all (well nearly all) perfectly realistic in here about timescales and the chance of eventual success and can live without your negativity.

1 Like

I’m getting tired of all the moaning.

2 Likes

Stop moaning… :smile:
I didn’t personally read @sfcoin’s post as moaning and complaining tbh, just stating the history. He also wished the team all the best…maybe being a bit harsh and a little over protective here ladies… …just sayin’ :wink:

5 Likes

@Southside: I contributed to the first iterations of testnets but as things got more and more complicated I left the stage. I don’t have the time or the knowledge to be a tester/developer for every project I am involved in and also I don’t understand this rhetoric: why do the maniac Maidsafe fans always put the “how did you help” card in everyone else’s face? The company got our money from the ICO so THEY should be able deliver not ask for help, money again and again every couple of years. Just look outside of this forum, try being a part of another projects and how professionally they deliver and/or fail.

@piluso: I just shared my frustrations because this thread is called “Is the community getting tired of maidsafe?” and because I think some negative critique from time to time is constructive

8 Likes

Yeah, let me know if asking “are we there yet?” 200 times or complaining about how long is the trip, will make your dad drive faster.

Btw, your comment reflects that either you barely understand the progress that is being made, otherwise you wouldn’t be equating this year’s productivity with the previous year’s apparent stall during the refactoring which was quite frustrating.

If people are unhappy, they should sell their maidsafecoin, likely at a large profit, then leave. There is no need to try to poison the well for others too.

2 Likes

I’m not getting how @sfcoin is “trying to poison the well” - this is ascribing a malicious motive where there is no evidence to substantiate such a claim.

If your dad said “We are just popping round the corner”, then drove from Land’s end to John’o’Groats, then I think it is understandable that the kids complain of getting a square arse… :smile:
Slapping the kids about the head for pointing out they were told it would be a short trip isn’t the most constructive thing to do either tbh.

This, to me is a perfectly rational position to take. If you pay a builder up front to build your kitchen extention and are told it will cost X amount and take X amount of time, then who exactly would buy these kind of arguments years later when you’re left with just the foundations built?
Q: “What did you do to help build it ?”
A: " Bugger all, I paid you to do it"
“These things are complicated and timescales can’t be provided.”
A: You provided one at the start of the job when you wanted paying.
Now, is everyone here seriously saying that the customer has no grounds for complaint here. There may be very good reasons why the project has taken longer than expected, but the one thing you can’t get away from is that people were initially told “It’s just round the corner” so to speak.
In order to buy any of these excuses, you’d have to believe that none of this was foreseeable even after around 10 years of research into what was likely involved.
Personally, I take the view that completing the project and getting funding to do so was the primary concern - understandable really - think of the incentive and importance of making a “Turing machine” for example - I’m sure Alan Turing may have said “Yes, it will cost 5 quid and I’ll have it done in a jiffy”…misleading, forgiveable? You take your pick. Was the intention to rip people off for personal gain, or create something of great importance for everyone?
I know what I think having observed @dirvine’s actions so far - they seem far from self serving.
We all essentially bought into the vision and whatever it takes to get there. I’m not saying this is what definitely happened, but it’s the thing that makes most sense to me.
People will have legitimate complaints and how we as a community deal with these will reflect on us as a community. Let’s not turn this into a cult and make people afraid to speak their minds. We can present ourselves better than this to forum visitors and deal with this sort of thing in a more reasonable way… :smile:

6 Likes

I never mentioned sfcoin, nor replied to him. It is a general comment.

3 Likes

Well, this is a bit different since this is a liquid proposition that is up by 10x in the last year. You can’t sell the half done work to your house for 10x profit. If it’s liquid then you’re not tied to it, so you can just exercise freedom and sell, as @Traktion says. Also, this is software development that has a scary amount of innovation so unlike building estimates for a house, times were always going to be very sketchy.

This I agree with. I’m probably quite guilty of it too. I guess it depends on the who and why as to how we should react, but having fanatical devotion probably doesn’t do SAFE many favours in terms of the impression given to suspicious lurkers. It’s hard not to be a bit defensive though when you see how hard the team are working, what they working for and why.

3 Likes