Is SAFE still a theory?

Hello, I don’t mean to intrude. I recently noticed this project there is a lot of buzz going on. Then I asked engineers who work with me “have you guys been looking at maidsafe?” They take a look at the codes, and reply to me “Yes it looks like there is yet a long way to go”.

The reply I get says to me that the implementation is infantile. And leading to my question to the group or developers. Is this safe network concept fully thought out, or does it still need to be invented.

Then, do I buy this coin or how do I get involved? Is there anything to get involved with? Should I check back next year?

If there is a fork, who will enforce maidsafecoin? Why not make a fork, without maidsafecoins?

Yes, please come back next year, we are not ready for you yet Hans.

2 Likes

Taking your questions from last to first:

Anyone can fork Git, but github.com has an enormous first-comer and network-effect advantage, so much so that, according to @dirvine, Maidsafe is consolidating their development there because the alternatives haven’t had enough uptake.

I expect there will be forks with their own coin, but they will be analogous to alt-coins versus Bitcoin. If they are straight clones then hardly anyone will use them except for testing (and, indeed, Bitcoin does have a testing branch with “faucet” dispensed coin). So there’s real-world precedent for that.

If you have to ask whether you buy the coin, then you haven’t done much research at all. Safecoin does not exist yet. Maidsafecoin is a colored Bitcoin that is a token that is promised to be exchangeable for Safecoin when it comes. Maidsafecoin was issued in a crowdsale and there was no secret pre-mining; @dirvine donated his to a charitable foundation that owns such IP as there is.

Yes, check back next year, next month, or tomorrow, whatever your level of interest. But if you’re a speculator, don’t come back.

The concept is extensible, so there will be a lot of development beyond the MVP. However, the preliminary testing seems to indicate that the network fundamentals do work as expected.

You don’t say what sort of engineers you spoke to. Most engineers, like most people, are rote workers, who don’t build anything entirely new, and only recognize things once they exist.

7 Likes

We tested the network 2 days ago with about 500 nodes connected. People were able to register a URL in a decentralized DNS. Upload their “Safesite” and some personal files as well. People could even log in on a decentralized network. So yes, it’s thought out quite well :thumbsup: it actually already works. If I were you I would check this forum on a daily basis to see the action. We’re seeing new tests in the comings days.

10 Likes

The latest test was the first time of everything really coming together, all worked ok.

The question that remains is if the network can maintain performance and stability even when under heavy load/churn and abuse.

3 Likes

Hi @hans, those are understandable questions but impossible to answer, and nobody can judge a project like this so easily. It is complex and frankly we don’t know if it will work or when that will be, but there are quite a few people on this forum who have been following this project for two years or more, and checking back anything from daily to every few months. Personally I’ve been here most days in that time. You won’t get why that is until you’ve poked about a bit (in the founder’s words). Some don’t get it and don’t come back, but plenty do.

All I can say is that for many it is a very worthwhile project to get to know. So read up when you get the time and ask questions and we’ll answer as best we can. This is a friendly and knowledgeable community and has the help of a dedicated and exceptionally informed and considerate group of moderators - so you are not intruding, but welcome and I hope will find something that interests you enough to bring you back again, and again, and again… :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Maybe “They” could explain to you why “…it looks like there is yet a long way to go” Im thinking maybe they wouldnt be able to explain that to you because “They” have not completely understood the concept or the code.

Please offer up your engineers qualifications so that their opinions can be rated.

Two things are certain, Maid is in it’s infancy and your engineers need more study time.

Yes this is a big one.

I’d like to know how many testnets your engineers ran with the current code, how many libraries they tested, and how deeply into it they read and understood before saying “it has a long way to go.”

Could you answer this for me please?

Only doing all of that (and possibly more) could give one the information they need to answer the question

Appreciate your reply Happybeing, very honest. It’s the kind of answer I was hoping to receive, alas here it is. Thank you.

Whiteoutmashups, if you had a real answer to these questions it would have been you showing me your test of the libraries and refuting my questions. There are not much of libraries to test anyhow.

Are there definitive explanations and code that we did not see? So far I see many arbitrary explanations, and incomplete code. Yes I see the test that took place, and also read that it is not complete either. Is there a fear that a fork would happen, or do the developers simply not know the answers?

There is some code that is doing something, not as described I’m afraid.

1 Like

You didn’t test the software and there’s some code that does something :nerd:? like I replied before, a decentralized DNS, the ability to store and retrieve your .safesite with a browser. Self encryption, Self Authentication. Name me one other project that does this. Looks like you want to build your own binaries or something. Well, try it out. The code base used to be over 500K lines of C++ but in Rust the same thing is possible under 30K lines of code.

1 Like

Hi @hans, welcome to the forum.

Are there specific questions you would like the answers to and we can try and help?

Regards the fork question. It is of course a possibility, however, our engineering team has been working on decentralised networks for a considerable amount of time and while we certainly don’t proclaim to have the most talented developers in the world, we certainly can claim to have a lot of skill, experience and dedication in this niche area. I believe we are in a strong position moving forward, but the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

5 Likes

All is not what it seems with Mr. @hans .

What are your motives? No indication they are aligned with the community or the team.

Sorry dude. I trust my gut.

3 Likes

I don’t know what you have seen, but it doesn’t sound like you’ve looked at the system as it currently stands. You need to give more detailed information about what you’ve seen for me to answer that.

I have no particular questions. Thanks. I just see a whole group of people here trusting this, and seem to be about this network. It is a shame that it is not reaching a beginning any time soon. Wish all the best, Bye.

See you in a year :slight_smile:

Trolls seldom do. That fake ESL is hilarious.

3 Likes

Well I would be a proclaimer for the most talented SafeNetwork developers in the world…talk em up Nick.

For those here rambling on about forks, please go and fork right now and we’ll see how you go. But you wont of course, because you will wait until all the testing has been done all the hard work has been done and then you will leech off that hard work and still fail, because all you have is the ability to copy…no innovation.

6 Likes

Very very well said.

This thought has always rang so loudly in my head whenever any of those guys says “I’ll go make a fork without PtP.”

They can’t, they won’t, and even if they did, it would be unbalanced and die.

You need to have the true, all-encompassing vision, like MaidSafe does, to succeed in such a huge way as this. We should help their efforts as best we can

5 Likes

@polpolrene and @reivanen almost said it all in their first posts. The network is working in tests, but the performance still has to be measured and tweaked. The most important part still missing is safecoin, and regarding the question, safecoin is an important part of a functioning network, because it gives nodes the incentive to reliably stay online, and this isimportant for the network to be well functioning and well performing.

1 Like

He should stay because, as the saying goes, “many Hans make light work.” (groan)

2 Likes