Is Maidsafe-drive dead?

Maidsafe-drive is a project to use FUSE to make maidsafe accessible directly on your OS via a virtual drive.

Since the project has not been updated since 2 years ago, I’m wondering if the project is dead, or has just been put aside for later?

5 Likes

The network comes first. Drive will move up the priorities as other things are completed, but it is also a candidate for the community as a CEP or as an independent project/app.

3 Likes

I was working on a FUSE implementation here: GitHub - traktion/safenet-java-fuse: Safenet Java/FUSE interface

I got it to the point where read only access worked, but it needs a lot more work. I put it in ice when the talk of native FFI bindings replacing the REST service kicked off. I expect to pick it up again when things have crystallised further and I have some more free time again.

12 Likes

I worked on a FUSE implementation in Rust as well but I it was more of a proof of concept. I got something that could make and list directories then I was in over my head

2 Likes

I’d also be interested in something where I could keep a (gasp!) locally synchronized copy of selected files or directories. This could come in handy on long flights, if I wanted to watch a few episodes from my favorite anime :joy_cat: Or, shame on me, read a book or two.

Joke aside, it’s a well established component for all similar software, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and the like.

1 Like

See also this guy’s new SAFE-VFS!

Wayne, if your are willing to share this code I’d love to see it and have a play. Also, might you be interested in help getting that going again (as a Rust version)?

1 Like