IPFS and now Chia, crypto data storage solutions

IPFS and now Chia are two separate crypto data storage solutions that sound eerily similar to SAFE. They “farm” a term that was first seen used by Maidsafe, use a proof of resource that they slightly changed to proof of space/time (IPFS) and proof of time (Chia). I’m glad to see other solutions arise but am perturbed by their lack of innovation and originality. Mainly I wanted to bring this to others attention and open discussion/share opinions on the matter.

Here is a link to an article on Chia as I haven’t found an official site BitTorrent's Brad Cohen Starts Chia Network, A Eco-Friendly Cryptocurrency
There are other threads relating to IPFS on this forum if you are interested.

3 Likes

Not sure about Chia (new one on me, will look it up) but IPFS is a peer-to-peer replacement for HTTP. As far as I know (and this may be out of date now) it’s not anonymous and it’s not as secure as the data is not encrypted by the network. However, as IPFS it only replaces one layer (HTTP) rather than the top 4 layers as SAFE does it is a much simpler project and is therefore already operational.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve read that the creator of BitTorrent is behind Chia.

1 Like

I agree John, and you are correct. SAFE is achieving a much larger technical feet and that also has its many advantages. What I find disconcerting is the marketing and or terminology used in these other projects that will confuse the layman. The positive side is the Network will speak for itself and these other projects if not actually solving someone’s problems, at least raise awareness in this space.

1 Like

I think “the creator of BitTorrent” should part of the Maidsafe team.