IPFS and Filecoin

They seem to be more driven to a centralised model. I suppose that might help with performance, the centralised providers will have great infrastructure. It doesn’t really seem like it would do much to unlock all of the spare capacity we have in the world though.

If we look ahead a few years it seems likely that our 5G connections and crazy spec devices will dwarf the spare capacity we have now, so I don’t see their centralisation as much of an edge…

Filecoin doesn’t have any utility, just monetary value. No one will bother farming filecoins for a few pennies a week imo. People might be willing to leave their machine or phone on for SAFEcoins they ‘need’ though, particularly if they would otherwise have to ‘buy’ them to get access.

I dunno, I just don’t really find it very compelling. I think Maidsafe have spoiled me a bit, I expect more from big ideas now and filecoin doesn’t excite me on the same level.

I’m sure it will probably shoot to a billion+ cap before it even gets out of the gate - I don’t fancy its chances of being around in 5-10 years though myself, even with a $200M+ budget. I guess time will tell.

9 Likes