Introducing the SAFEthing Framework: Secure Access For Everything

Hello,

I notice this too: probably something with the ‘%’-chars in the url that are automatically expanded, so that the link doesn’t work anymore.
The PDF file is reachable from here ( → gRPC in Rust - Liu Tang & DongXu Huang, PingCAP → on the bottom of the page).

1 Like

Since it was shared here, I think it’s fair I share that I was researching the WebThnigs gateway and API last weekend, and it looks like it will fit very nicely with the SAFEthing.
One of the things we will eventually need is a gateway for devices that may not be able to connect directly to the SAFE network but can use a REST API, so the WoT REST API is aiming at supporting exactly this. Even if we don’t need that, we will definitely need a dashboard where we can manage them nicely. Thus, I’m planning to implement two things to see if this evolves as I am imagining:
1- An addon for the Mozilla WoT Gateway so we get a nice dashboard and GUI for managing SAFEthings, either locally within a LAN and/or through current internet as suppoted by the gateway already, or through the SAFE Network as we would prefer :slight_smile: . The gateway UI could even be eventually published as a SAFE webapp :wink:
2- Supporting the SAFEthings to (optionally) expose the WoT REST API by simply passing a flag to the SAFEthing framework API. In this way, a SAFEthing can be managed with the gateway locally (or with HTTPS and Mozilla VPN if whished).

9 Likes

I would like to ask about your IoT project which you have introduced here https://github.com/bochaco/safe_thing/blob/master/README.md
because I am very interested in the subject of communication between devices and I am working on the concept of such a network.

At what stage is the project now and is it possible to continue this project after the changes that have taken place in the SafeNet?
My guess is that you are now focusing on the work of starting the SN, but I would be obliged if you could answer and bring your project a little closer. Thank you!

3 Likes

Yes, I put that on hold till new data types (CRDT based now) and their public APIs are ready to be used with an stable testnet. But yes, it can be adapted once that’s available, I’ll just need to think how the devices’ data can be stored and managed using CRDT data types. I’m still planning to do that once things settle on SAFE testnets, but not just yet.

11 Likes

Thank you for the answer, I thought so too. It is important, that the project can be continued on the new data types.

1 Like