Introducing SAFE Wallet app

I finally had some time to migrate the SAFE Wallet webapp to make use of the latest DOM API exposed by SAFE Browser (Peruse v0.7.0), which I just published (v0.0.12) on the Alpha-2 network at safe://safewallet.wow.

Likewise, I also updated the SAFE Faucet webapp and published it at safe://safefaucet.wow.

I’m introducing a new feature with these new versions of the webapps, probably an small one, but I think it’s an important one.
You may already be aware of WebIDs and how they can be used on the SAFE Network, as per the PoC prepared for and presented at the past Decentralised Web Summit 20018 by MaidSafe. With WebIDs we can have decentralised user identities on the SAFE Network, which can also contain links to other type of information and services, e.g. the Patter social app allows users to post messages and link them to any WebID.

Now, with this new SAFE Wallet and SAFE Faucet, you can also create a link from a WebID to a ThanksCoin wallet, and you can transfer ThanksCoins using either the recipient’s wallet Public Key (as before), or a WebID provided by the recipient which contains a link to a ThanksCoin wallet.

For those who never used these applications before, in this old post you can find some details, but as a summary, and to update it with the extra step needed to optionally create your WebID/s, the following steps are what it’s needed to be able to get some free ThanksCoins and transfer them among different wallets using WebIDs:

1. Create you own WebID/s as explained in this post
  2. Connect to the SAFE Wallet (safe://safewallet.wow), create a new ‘ThanksCoin Wallet’ item, set its label, private and public keys, select a WebID to link it to, and a pin number. I recommend to switch the toggle to allow the app to store the transactions history as it’s a nice feature to see in action when transferring coins.
  3. Open the SAFE Faucet (safe://safefaucet.wow), provide your feedback, enter the wallet’s public key, or the WebID linked to your ThanksCoin wallet, click the ‘Get free ThanksCoins!’ button, and wait for a few seconds until a confirmation message is displayed. Go back to the SAFE Wallet to verify that the coins were successfully transferred to your ThanksCoin wallet.
  4. Create other ThanksCoins wallets so you can transfer coins among them.

Please note that these ThanksCoins have absolutely no value in any market, and they are not listed in any exchange even that there could be some other coins out there with the same name. These ThanksCoins are only useful to play with the SAFE Wallet app.

Lastly, an additional feature in this version of the SAFE Faucet is that the feedback is now being posted as messages to the safe://feedback.thankscoin#me WebID, so they are public and can be seen using Patter webapp.

For curious devs, source code for the safe-faucet webapp and safe-coins-wallet package.

I hope you find it fun to transfer some ThanksCoins around, using WebIDs, on the SAFE Network!!!

31 Likes