Introducing... JAMS! [Demo] Alpha 2

Cracking stuff! Great to see the webid stuff being used. :smiley:

9 Likes

Still need to code it up on the back end and may or may not be available for the Alpha version but the “experimental” features are top priority, along with new data types, and mobile. Dedicated to the vision!

9 Likes

Cool looks like it at least works on mobile, if you want any help making it fit better on smaller screens I’d be happy to.

Would be great to make music libraries on mobile

4 Likes

Would be cool but I think there are limitations currently authenticating web apps in the mobile browser, at least that’s what I think I’d read.

Also I have my eyes set on a mobile app lib using Flutter but that also means we won’t be able to use the Xamarin csharp wrapper for safe_app because Flutter doesn’t play nice with (or at all) with Xamarin making cross platform mobile builds. So we’ve got some things to look into there. The web app is coming along nicely but still quite a ways to go really and once we get in a comfortable place we’ll see if it will also work out on mobile.

Most importantly though we’re thinking it will be best for us personally to focus on getting done with front end fully, then focus on back end using the upcoming API’s using new data types so we can have something solid to demo for Fleming :slightly_smiling_face:

Then hopefully we can be available on the SAFE Network App aka ‘SNAPP’ (or SAFE Launchpad, whichever it ends up being called). I personally prefer SNAPP @maidsafe :wink: it’s a good acronym, implies it’s quick and easy, or a snap to gain access and manage apps. Very cool and trendy name imo.

9 Likes

Can’t wait to SNAPP into that :relaxed:

But what is it? I might have missed an update. Is it for web apps on mobile? Or just web apps in general.

Guess you’re right about the web apps not authenticating on mobile. I’ve seen that when browsing a few of them.

Is it an issue with the mobile browser? Or the mobile Authenticator?

1 Like

Basically a desktop access point to the network. Unobtrusively in the upper right of the desktop :desktop_computer: where you can download and manage apps, SAFEID’s, and access to your wallet. It’s been mentioned a few times by @JimCollinsonin in the UX threads that he had posted a few weeks back but here’s a link and even a reference to the TODO card to make it available for mobile. I’ve been lurking and have even found some beautiful UI but I don’t want to spoil their surprises so I’ll leave it at that.

I’m not really sure but the mobile team is so fast I’m sure they’ll get it licked in no time at all. We all need to catch up anyways :yum:

9 Likes

Hey folks! Expect to see some updates in the not too distant future :smiley:

At the very least I will be writing up a post sharing some screenshots and progress of the native mobile application and some of the web app, as well as the long term goals that JAMS hopes to achieve.

It’s been an absolute pleasure seeing the intense progress of Phantom and I think it’s time we add to the excitement @Shane has been bringing.

If folks would be so kind to add translations in this public wiki to help us reach a global audience for a global network, it would be much appreciated! Thank you

17 Likes

It’s been a long time! I have screen shots of a current demo I could share but I recently had someone I highly respect review the demo and so it is going through some changes.

I also have some outlines for JAMStand that I’ll share in due course and I hope we can all discuss @Antifragile’s great idea of “plug-ins” more at some point, where elders could run some clear net operations and computations to feed into Safe Network and receive some sort of rewards or payment. That would be a HUGE resource.

When the time is right then I’ll probably create a new and updated topic but why I’m here now is to ask some folks opinions.

I’m wondering if anyone here is opposed to the gamification of apps. If I was to pursue it, it would be opt-in as I think that stuff is annoying, to me personally but I know many people like it and it would be a rewarding way to increase engagement.

I’m also trying to shy away from colors or triggers that can purposefully influence people’s behavior as a design choice. In the case of gamification if it is opt-in, I feel like that is a choice and exception.

You could potentially get “rewards” for

• Broadening your musical horizons/genres
  • Sharing music
  • Minting an NFT
  • Earning revenue
  • Growing your personal Library
  • Referring friends to JAMS

I’m thinking when you first enter the app you could choose whether you want to make your experience more “fun” and earn bonuses/rewards or if you like a straightforward experience.

What do you all think?

14 Likes

go for it - full gamifcation.

4 Likes

Graffiti and all?!

1 Like

grafitti?
What am I missing here?

3 Likes

Some will like it some won’t, but I think if you were to do this @Nigel everyone would like it :wink:

4 Likes

A lot of apps are doing that now when you reach a milestone or successfully try out a new feature etc. You’ll hear a :boom: POP :boom: and then :confetti_ball::tada: graffiti will fall down the screen. Aside from actual rewards, like a currency, it is to provide a sense of celebration in succeeding a task or milestone.

I think it’s effective to an extent. Some people like it. I’m not super fond of it. Could just be rewards without all the flashiness too but I’m seeing this applied across the board and it seems well received.

1 Like

Too kind, too kind! Thank you Mark. Any other additional input is also appreciated.

1 Like

I confess I’m not familiar with that kind of gamification (graffiti, sound etc) and would be turned off by it. I think of Stackoverflow then I hear the word, rather than turning an app into a game.

I just think it has to be done right and if annoying stuff can be turned off, that’s fine.

1 Like

The meta mask mobile app is a great example of what I mention above. Agree it can be annoying but I’m glad you think as long as it’s not default and optional that it is acceptable.

2 Likes

I’d make that optional.
My limited experience with it suggests that its OK but can rapidly become overkill.

It will be fine if it’s all done in the best possible taste

2 Likes

Again, what am I missing?
All I see that is “decoration” in MetaMask is the fox looking at the cursor until I enter the password.

How about a gamification of sorts by integrating a simple synthesizer to the app so that you could tap some drumbeats or play some tunes on top of the song you are listening? Maybe later adding rec and share functions? Or even sing a long karaoke type of things? A scratching pad? It is about jamming after all!

Swipe to the left and there you have a keyboard!

1 Like

Really? On mobile?
Unless I am misremembering I had that experience not too long ago. It might have been mostly on account set up on mobile too so perhaps I’m extending the idea.

I believe Robinhood trading app does similar though I’m not a robinhood user.