Internet of things

How would they enforce this?

Intelligence services collect metadata on the communication of all citizens.
Politicians would have us believe that this data doesn’t say all that
much. A reader of De Correspondent put this to the test and demonstrated
otherwise: metadata reveals a lot more about your life than you think.

2 Likes

Ok and if you don’t use a smartphone?

Well, what I was trying to get at is your choice of phone and software. First of all, a basic dumbphone doesn’t have GPS and software that can track you. You can use a fork of Android that is modified and focused on privacy (can’t remember the name of it right now). And you definitely won’t have to use Facebook, Google, or other services that you don’t trust. All I’m saying is that the options are there if you want them.

They can triangulate your position from your connection strength at the nearest base stations.
Of course they can’t track your software because you don’t have one, but they can track your location and monitor your calls, messages, and copy your phone photos.
The privacy battle has largely been lost.

They can start charging people per MB of traffic transferred. That’s the easiest approach and doesn’t even have to single out entry/exit nodes.

Sure they can, but that’s just going down the route of paranoia, IMO. If you don’t want to be tracked, you simply shouldn’t be using the internet at all, whether it’s on a phone or on your PC. I just don’t think it’s a rational reason not to have a cell phone nowadays.

I don’t dispute that - like I said at this point resistance is futile.
Unfortunately we did reach the “get over it” stage that Larry Ellison declared years ago.

Erm, oh yes it can. Tracking information is recorded by the telecoms provider - essentially a log of all the phone towers your phone connects to, with the ability to triangulate to some degree of accuracy.

It is very hard not to be tracked these days. Use a payment card (credit/debit/travel - e.g. Oyster). Use a cashpoint. Pass a CCTV camera (increasingly accessible through image/face/movement recognition). Drive (number plate recognisers all over the UK). Etc.

Even my boat is tracked. There are “wardens” who travel the canals logging the location and registration of every boat, ostensibly to ensure you are abiding by the terms of your license.

Since I’ve come back from re-education camp, stories like these give me a real boost. It really is true… ‘everything is awesome’ :blush:

1 Like

I was told that in the UK even gas stations have a great feature that does optical recognition of registration plates and disables the pump for vehicles that didn’t pay some government tax (or insurance or whatever). That’s wonderful!

Yip now fitted on police cars and overhead bridges to. A lot of garages record number plates by default. All that data man, all that data, who needs phones to be tracked these days.

It’s probably fairly simple to rig a James Bond style license/number plate cover. :wink:

Wow this is great news, soon I can start the journey of fully enslaving myself via IOT

Paul Brody, the head of mobile and internet with IBM, is proposing a system called Adept, which will use three distinct technologies to solve what he sees as both technical and economic issues for the internet of things. The Adept platform is not an official IBM product, but was created by researchers at IBM’s Institute for Business Value (IBV). Adept will be released on Github as open-source software. The platform consists of three parts:

Block chain: As mentioned above, block chain is the distributed transaction processing engine that keeps track of Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies. The beauty of block chain is that it can be used for many purposes. Basically it’s a technology that allows data to be stored in a variety of different places while tracking the relationship between different parties to that data.

So when it comes to the internet of things, Brody envisions it as a way for devices to understand what other devices do and the instructions and permissions different users have around these devices.In practice this can mean tracking relationships between devices, between a user and a device and even between two devices with the consent of a user.

This means your smartphone could securely communicate with your door lock or that you could approve someone else to communicate with the door lock. Those relationships would be stored on the locks, your phones and come together as needed to ensure the right people had access to your home without having to go back to the cloud.

Telehash: It’s one thing for devices to use block chain to understand contracts and capabilities, but they also need to communicate it, which is why Adept is using Telehash, a private messaging protocol that was built using JSON to share distributed information.

It’s creator Jeremie Miller says at its simplest telehash is a “very simple and secure end-to-end encryption library that any application can build on, with the whole point being that an “end” can be a device, browser, or mobile app.” He added, “Perhaps, you can think of it as a combination of SSL+PGP that is designed for devices and apps to connect with each other and create a secure private mesh?” A new version of the software is expected soon.

BitTorrent: And finally, to move all this data around, especially because not everything has a robust connection to each other — especially if they are using a low data rate connection like Bluetooth or Zigbee, Adept uses file sharing protocol BitTorrent to move data around keeping with the decentralized ethos of Adept.

Tyranny of the code.

Good thing Maidsafe will be released before this crap. :wink:

2 Likes

That is true. I originally commented on someone who said they didn’t have a cellphone because they don’t want to be tracked, and I assumed by companies like Google/Apple. I ignored the phone tower tracking since that’s something only the government would do, and they’ve got a lot of other ways to do it if they wanted to (and they’d do it only if they actually wanted to). If you don’t want to be tracked by the government, then you should not use the internet and live in an RV :smile: IMO it’s not a good enough reason not to get a cell phone.

Even my boat is tracked. There are “wardens” who travel the canals
logging the location and registration of every boat, ostensibly to
ensure you are abiding by the terms of your license.

That’s nuts haha. But of course it’s for our protection :wink:

1 Like