Integration between Duplicati and Safe

Duplicati is one of the biggest open-source and free back up utilities. Can Safe be used as back end for Duplicati?

1 Like

Do you mean using our network to store the data rather than say a traditional cloud?

If so.
Can’t see why not, would no doubt require some code to bridge the two though.

Yes, Storj and Sia are integrated with it…

1 Like

I don’t get why? Unless a marketing thing. Duplicati seem to say it works on <lots of cloud services> so adding an integration (it’s open source) for Safe Network should be easy, I cannot see why a network that means you don’t need backups any more would provide an integration for a backup program? Perhaps it’s the ability of some backup programs to go back in time/history for older files that is the drive here, but in safe that’s all handled. So I am not sure what it would mean for users, except an unneeded layer.

I may be missing an important point though.

3 Likes

People and businesses have built systems for work. If they can just switch the back end to the Safe network, any integration will be of great benefit to us. It is not reasonable to expect people to change things they have been using for years…

I understand that, but this is weird. So a backup system will use various indexing for data. Like a big database plus content. That database will be gargantuan and if using a grandfather type scheme then also incremental backups. Anyway a backup backend is generally based on the fact tapes/sites etc. can fail so the backup allows protraction against that via duplication, so save same thing in multiple tapes/sites etc.

I would imagine we would instead provide the front-end and not a back end as we already are a back end. Although the world is strange and it might be reasonable that until safe is proven then folk would want an backed up back end?

1 Like

As a former owner of a Telecom, I can say with great certainty that the business uses modified solutions based on open source software. If you have such solution integrated in your system, you do not change it for something better, because the costs of possible problems are unjustified. You use what you know works.

Any integration we can do with such open source systems will benefit us. Sia and Storj are not stupid for working in this direction …

I 100% hear what you are saying and I have been involved in designing such systems for very large corporates including 3 international telecom companies (2 USA 1 UK all merged into 1). I am not speaking from a position of zero knowledge in this area, I don’t assume you are either.

If we imagine Safe works and data is permanent then it will fly in the face of these kinds of systems. So we have 2 periods here

1. Unproven

Early days of network, folk may wish to duplicate hopefully secured backups across more than one medium. This is where an alternative backend to such a system is beneficial. [edit Although I don’t see corporate orgs in this space, due to what you said about change]

1. Proven

Here traditional backup systems are wholly unnecessary. FUSE type filesystems can host all a companies data, securely.

So there is a conflict there and perhaps that conflict can be made into a route to freedom. It’s just not always as simple as add an integration to X. So here X is a backup system, if used in a corporate then who has access to the security of that? then who has access to the security of the medium, are they the same folk? how to sync those as folk change and so on. Do you even sync them or consider each medium security level a different process etc.

Much easier if you are a user, then you probably control both security levels, but then you can use the real network easier.

So proven/unproven/corporate/individual all do make a difference.

I am not sure that

is the case when we present something like Safe as it is such a massive change. i.e. Internet archive, do we integrate with it or provide it, same with Wikipedia, integrate or provide. Then all the links with clearnet/Safe network, integrations back to Facebook/google etc. via open-source plugins.

Luckily though, this is where OSS is great if somebody thinks it’s a good idea they can try it.

Interesting Sat morn convo though :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. With Duplicati you can back up your information. In the Duplicati software, you can specify where to store the backup - locally, in the cloud or on a decentralized cloud such as Sia or Storj. My question was whether it is possible when you use this software to choose a storage space in the Safe Network instead of Storj or Sia.

Yes, very easily if anyone provides an integration. I cannot see MaidSafe supplying it, but of course it would be possible :wink:

If we (the community plus maidsafe) do get the FUSE integration out then it’s almost invisible as you just point this software to a seemingly local directory.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply David. That was my question - is such integration technically possible :dragon:

4 Likes

As dirvine said, providing the OS with a FUSE based Safe Drive that is posix compliant makes most things possible.

1 Like

rsync! It’s everywhere you want to be.

I’m going to be laughing all night about that phrasing.

1 Like