Ind.ie Pulse

It looks like the Ind.ie Project has jumped on syncthing as their data network.

From the syncthing forum, Aral writes:

Our ultimate goal with Ind.ie is to create a consumer product that can compete on user experience with the likes of a Google Nexus phone or an Apple iPhone. In order to do that, though, we first need to create the core platform. This platform has to be distributed. And it has to be simple. So you can see why I was hugely excited when I stumbled upon Syncthing.

Needless to say, Jakob instinctively gets simplicity and user experience. You can see it in every aspect of Syncthing. It is one of the most accessible developer-oriented projects I’ve come across in my career. It solves a hard problem in a simple manner. It was love at first sight and I decided Syncthing would become the core of our platform.

Syncthing is becoming Ind.ie Pulse. Pulse replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralised. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party, and how it’s transmitted over the Internet.

Docs that may be of interest:

Secure & Private

Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere other than on your devices. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.

Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS.
The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.

Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.

Easy to Use

Pulse is still in development, although a large number of features have already been implemented:

Web GUI: Configure and monitor Pulse via a responsive and powerful interface accessible via your browser.

Portable: Works on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris. Run it on your desktop computers and synchronise them with your server for backup.

Simple: Pulse doesn’t need IP addresses or advanced configuration. It just works, over LAN and over the Internet. Every machine is identified by an ID. Just give your ID to you friends, share a folder, and watch.

Powerful

Synchronise as many folders as you need with different people.

3 Likes

Apparently Aral (of Ind.ie) thought SAFE was blockchain technology, so they obv haven’t evaluated their options fully. Am educating him on twitter.

3 Likes

Go Mark :smiley: well done.

3 Likes

Thats odd, I emailed him 14th July with the main video and received a reply:

Hey Chris,

Thanks. Looked; couldn’t find any examples in the examples project. Let me know when there’s something I can play with and I’ll take another look. Best of luck with it :slight_smile:

After David Irvine said he had met Aral, I assumed he knew the basics…apparently not.

Would be hard to do an about face now, I would think…awkward

2 Likes