I'm in a dilemma with docker/podman containers and node_connection_info.config

The short question:

Can I move either node_connection_info.config to another default location?

So here’s the issue:

1. I run one first root node inside a container.
  2. I run another node inside a container and connect to the main node.
  3. In order to connect the other nodes with the first node I need the root node’s genesis’ key.
  4. The node’s genesis key, if I am correct, is generated in ~/.safe/node/node_connection_info_config. In this folder one can also find the binary file sn_node and secret reward keys from the root_dir, whatever those are.
  5. The solution for that, if I’m correct, is to do what Storj has done, is to create a volume for this. This volumes retain data even after the containers have been destroyed.
  6. I’m not sure when these volumes start as empty, I assume after the build, as so far I’ve found it impossible to build without first destroying the downloaded sn_node, leaving my container unable to run.

So I can’t assign my volume to ~/.safe/node
and I don’t know how to move the location where node_connection.info.config is created.

Does anyone know a best solution to this dilemma?

[update]

Now that I’m thinking about it again. I could also just have them share client data.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about volumes for that dir, but aye, I’d just copy the config across to the new container and you should be good to go?

2 Likes

When my containers run, they run the node at entrypoint, so the node_connection_info.config file of the root node would have to be available immediately, especially it’s genesis key.
I’ll create a shared cli volume and that should do the trick.

[update]

So far it’s not working because my second container is not having it’s volume shared, despite being called like this:

bash command

podman run \
--name test_joinnode-ipv4 \
--restart unless-stopped \
--publish $JOIN_IP:$JOIN_PORT:$JOIN_PORT/tcp \
--publish $JOIN_IP:$JOIN_PORT:$JOIN_PORT/udp \
--env JOINNODE_IP=$JOIN_IP \
--env JOINNODE_PORT=$JOIN_PORT \
--env NETWORK_NAME=$NETWORK_NAME \
--mount type=bind,source=$CLI_DIR,destination=/home/admin/.safe/cli/ \
-d localhost/joinnode-ipv4_test

Dockerfile

# Assign volume
VOLUME /home/admin/.safe/cli

# Launch safe join node
ENTRYPOINT safe networks switch $NETWORK_NAME && RUST_LOG=safe_network=info,qp2p=info ~/.safe/node/sn_node --skip-igd
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.