If we direct connect over 5G, what will SAFE look like?

Imagine local 5G connections with a latency lower than 1 ms. Imagine people gathered in schools and theater’s or walking down the street. I don’t know what the max distance for direct connections will be, but it could be quite amazing. Android is based on Linux and with the Android NDK (native development kit) and the coming phones using Snapdragons and other fast CPU’s quite some amazing things could happen! 5G is actually designed to support P2P applications. This stuff could be huge.

D2D communication enables the exchange of data traffic directly between user equipment without the use of base stations or the core network other than for assistance in setting up direct connections. D2D communication supports new usage models based on the proximity of users, including social networking applications, peer-to-peer content sharing, and public safety communications in the absence of network coverage.

4G is essentially 10 times faster than 3G, clocking in at a delightful 10 megabits per second on a good day. 5G will exist in a range spanning between 100 and 1,000 times the speed of 4G.

10 Likes

I wonder about the battery performance…

I wonder about the battery performance…

Yes, although I expect leaps in battery capacity before long do it might be more about your phone busting into flames unable to dissipate the heat!

2 Likes

I just hope they quickly develop the perovskite-based photovoltaic solar cells, so they can be applied on the phone and charge them with sunlight…

2 Likes

VR is a bigger problem when it comes to heat. Google has quite some restrictions when it comes to making phones Daydream ready. They will launch the platform in Android Nougat this fall. They say: phones that are Daydream certified must be able to deliver VR for several hours without running hot. And SAFE will use way less power than a GPU going wild. Look at your CPU usage in Linux or Windows. SAFE is doing great so far. So I expect no problems with heat or batteries. Modern SOC’s like the Snapdragon 820 are quite amazing when it comes to high performance delivery. They run SAFE without any trouble is my guess.

4 Likes

My concern isn’t processing heat generation but communications. Mobile devices can use a lot of power maintaining tx power levels, especially when the connection is always on (as opposed to when needed).

1 Like

This would be the ultimate safe network, destination reached I think.
I think first there will come wireless router meshes spanning large areas of cities where users connect p2p. The vault routers will be run by to people like you and me so no more middle man able to collect the full message stream to different vaults.

2 Likes

This is a main focus of 5G as they want this network to work for IoT as well.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same. Vaults & nodes scattered across the world still have the same lag.

The < 1mSec figure is just from you phone thru the phone company’s tower routers. You then still have the distance between there and the rest of the nodes around the world.

Dunno if you could mesh with 5G seeing that 5G uses/travels over a controlled frequency. Mesh likely still will need wifi

The 100-1000 times faster than 4G is talking of the data rate not the latency.

tl;dr

• latency will be similar to any other node, the 1mSec is nothing in the scheme of things
  • the additional speed will be great for vaults on SAFE
  • battery??
  • Phone company’s data caps could still be the big killer
2 Likes

what I’ve done for years now is always have around 2-4 backup batteries for most of the appliances I use (cell phone, laptop, etc) that I leave charging at night / in a dock during the day time and so I NEVER NEED TO CHARGE my things.

I just switch out batteries.

I wish this was more common, and that phone manufacturers weren’t discouraging this by locking the backs of the new Samsung / iPhone models etc. No good! (they want you to always have the battery inside so they can use your microphone etc even when it’s off, at least that’s what I’ve heard?)

Anyway, it’s a great solution that makes people’s worries about battery problems / handheld charger things totally not apply to me. Hope to see it spread!

You can get a solar charger for reletively cheap. I’d imagine that if networking on SAFE became an issue for battery performance then that would mean longer battery life phones would become more popular as would solar chargers that you could stick in your pack or whatever.

I hadn’t heard that before, that is radical. IOT iself needs to be SAFE strong, but some senior members here said at least in early form it won’t be up to the task. Recognizing that Pcell is centralized with a back channel its still 5G type tech and its in the 1mw with good distance between its nodes and an amazing ability to track to less than a cubic centimeter and handle tight proximity and connect with phones right on top of each other.

1 Like

But 5G is meant also to allow us to bypass the ISP. And sub1ms node to node is still pretty good even if it adds up. Increasing themax distance between nodes but remaining power efficient is vital. Apple’s multipeer so far has been something like 150 ft but phone to phone at 5 miles would go a long way toward cutting ISPs out of the loop. Steve Jobs was said to be pursuing this with Apple. It seems quite plausible that a varient of PCell could be adapted without the ISP back channel. Apparently the opinion of the pros is IOT will not run through the phone company toll road due to expense but rather through a fused array of mesh standards in each device , get latency down and range up and add in LiFi and solar support.

3 Likes

Which brings up the question of what adverse health effects, if any, will 5G networks pose?