If the internet falls, Safe Network can still be used?

Theoretically it can scale.

What is wrong with it?

You can’t tunnel tcp over tcp (you “can”, it just might brake or hang and cause other issues), it breaks the assumptions of the inner tcp over the underlying network. eg: Home Page - Olaf Titz

1 Like

Did not tested it with massive packet drops (like in your article), but with my constantly 100% used connection Yggdrasil works relatively good.
Also TCP over TCP is used in SOCKS, Tor, I2P. This is not a rare choice.

What do you mean by that? I do not see a relevance here for SOCKS? it’s just a protocol that uses tcp, where is the tcp-in-tcp-encapsulation going on? Tor uses tcp for the connection between their servers, but they do not tunnel tcp. i2p might be tunneling tcp over tcp in some configurations, as far as i know (???).

Ok, I was wrong about it.

3 Likes

You linked to something a year old.

I don’t follow the project, but you can now buy a few different miners ( hotspots ) designed by a few different companies that are officially approved.

You can use these to participate in the mesh and earn helium.

I dont have one but they have a map of hotspots and there are a cpl in my city already.

So yes, afaik they have a mesh in place and actively working, but maybe I’ve just seen good marketing designed to sell the equipment.

https://www.helium.com/

Theres a few hotspots in Prestwick but none in Troon or Ayr

I think the misunderstanding was that there’s a daemon running on your computer (for example tor) and you’re connecting to that daemon via tcp and are sending the data over that connection. But that daemon takes that data and sends it through another tcp connection. It’s merely unpacking the data from the control tcp connection and forwarding it to the other connection. There are no actual tcp packets sent via the second connection, just the data from the first connection.

1 Like

I just love it when somebody simply admits to having made a mistake (about anything). Respect, @Vort!

4 Likes