If I'm not mistaken the current net neutrality issue that's gone viral X 1000 online is a great way to introduce people to Maidsafe

I think focusing on the SAFE aspect is more important than net neutrality.

But if so know that net neutrality does not exsit right now. The large players like facebook, google, etc, already have fast lanes, with peer connections, which they pay for.

They need them because they have acquired, and control, a huge portion of all the internet traffic. There is no even playing feild right now. SAFE will change this.

The problem is not so much net neutrality, but App and ISP monopolies that are becoming way to big and powerful.

The great news is that SAFE offers more than just an encrypted network that fools the gate keepers, it will also play a big roll in breaking the monopolies. Cheers

3 Likes

This whole net neutrality thing is a USA ruling.

If the USA decides to go all communist on internet rulings, and shoot themselves in the foot, and block SAFE (essentially the entire internet, in the future :slight_smile: ) then the outcomes will make their whole economy come to a halt.

SAFE forces countries to choose between an internet done correctly, or no internet at all, since nobody will use the censored Google versions of things once a truly open platform exists.

It’s kinda like north Korea vs Wikipedia :stuck_out_tongue:

Net neutrality doesn’t exist, but now they are getting more clear, and arrogantly scraping it out of the book. Already most of the big fives on the internet, like google, facebook, amazon etc has centralized the users’ data and bluntly manipulating the system . Maidsafe is the future and we should all stand by to help, promote and propel the noble cause.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, @roger

I would also like to think that this trend to destroy net neutrality stays quarantined to the US so why not just let them go ahead and shoot themselves in the foot. However I suspect it might be US leading the way again and a sign of things to come, especially for Europe. First see all the “Normalising” (aka race to the bottom) between trading blocks done via the opaque closed door trade agreement deals. One example: Europe has been quite willing to drop hormone-damaging/endocrine disrupting pesticide restriction laws due to US pressure over the TTIP trade deal. So, killing and maiming children among others is not a red line for the European power elites. Striking net neutrality off the books is nothing compared to this.

Andreas Antonopoulos eloquently reiterated in his recent talk at Internetdagarna that the internet of money/crypto-currencies are coming for the banks. In this context, the best indication that anti-Net neutrality laws are coming for Europe can be seen in in academic and former finance minister for Greece Yanis Varoufakis excellent book “Adults in the room” which gives a sobering account of just how far European power elites have gone to preserve their power structures that depend and ride on the back of the banks. Throwing the entire nation of Greece under the bus and launching a third of the population into abject poverty is not a red line for them. Striking net neutrality off the books is nothing compared to this.

When Ajit Pai says the FCC want it to be legal for an ISP to block the BitTorrent protocol, I suspect what they are really thinking about is blocking Bitcoin and other crypto currency protocols, setting the money revolution back decades or more to protect their main source of power - the banks.

Pluggable transports would make it near impossible or as painful as possible to block the Safe Network protocol for an ISP, and adding a myriad of different transport plugins would best be done by the community. However the low level API to accept the plugins would need to be in place which could be a very tall order for the beta release. The earlier it is planned for though the easier it will be to implement later on.

2 Likes

Forget it’s worth I think the EU are much less susceptible to lobbying from Internet service providers (these are more diversified, more country specific for the time being), is particularly robust wrt global corporatism (big cases ongoing against Google and Apple on various fronts for example) , and is blazing a trail on data protection laws to the extent that the USA is having to follow EU rules - and this is set to get much stricter and give much more protection to individuals through GDPR. Mucho good stuff on consent, rights to delete etc, though I’m not fully up to speed in it myself.

Not saying we should be complacent, but I really doubt the EU will do anything to undermine net neutrality. A post EU Britain is a different matter - because the UK would be forced to accept all kinds of humiliating and backwards facing reductions in standards and regulations in order to get a quick trade deal, or any significant trade deal with the USA.

3 Likes

And some countries have no concept of net neutrality as part of their networks. Australia doesn’t. But other laws prevent the worse of not having it. But ISPs have and some still do throttle Bit-torrent traffic. My ISP used to throttle NNTP traffic, till that is those using it just went to other ports like 443 and they stopped because it cost more than it saved.

Netflix in AU has installed boxes into some ISPs POPs so that they get the fastest service above other AU streaming services. Talk about favoring a supplier.

No thats the influence of the movie/media companies who see bit torrent as the major source of “pirating” you know the thing causing people to stop buying their increasingly crappy movies

1 Like

True, probably a little too early for the banks to start demanding crypto currency protocols are blocked - still in the denial phase. Once they start losing serious ground then we will see the knives come out.