Ideas for a new SAFE browser icon

Anthropomorphic cute ants would be cool as a mascot, but I don’t see it as a logo for a browser.

Btw there has been several threads about mascots

1 Like

I wouldn’t use ants at all to be honest. Not only is it hard to make them visually appealing, but the whole ant meme is to do with the way the network works, and end users (aside from developers) shouldn’t have to care about that side of things at all. Instead it should be about making security and performance simple.

7 Likes

The quid is not about difficulty, it is actually not hard at all to make it cute especially for those who are in the field of design and arts.

Beastie is a demon and it looks cute, mice is horrifying for most people and yet a mouse it is the symbol for an animation empire for kids.

My favourite cartoon when I was a kid was the Atom Ant, and it’s been probably done over and over since the invention of the pencil.

But a mascot is a mascot and a logo is a logo.

3 Likes

I like the brain storming. I’m sure it’ll be useful for Jim whenever they get around to this down the road. The ideas so far are great. I definitely think that navigation, traversal, discovery, historical, archival, (any other good words?) should be central to the theme of a simple icon design. I really like the helm one but like was said earlier the small details get lost in an icon.

Keep them coming! I can still tinker in my spare time to get some kind of rough idea of a direction.

Lol at @Nigel ripping off Safari and @tobbetj innocuously pointing out it looks familiar :rofl:

3 Likes

A surf board is another option.

1 Like

The RDF graphs will really form a world wide web. Maybe something related to spiders / spider webs? Spider doing navigation…

How about a safe combination lock wheel?

3 Likes

That looks like a good icon for the vault application

6 Likes

I realize some people don’t favor the ant idea but I was thinking something like this. It incorporates the hexagonal aspect of the SAFE Network logo and has a futuristic feel to it. Would look sweet inside another larger hexagon or ring.

2 Likes

I like it. The folks at PostgreSQL may not be so happy, though…

Trivial fact, my mother has over 500 elephant ornaments.

3 Likes

Haha, ours would be way cooler.

500! That is beyond a hobby.

2 Likes

I knew it was overtly similar (rip off) but was more to spark conversation and inspiration but I’m glad people are engaging so it can hopefully develop into something of its own down the road. :slightly_smiling_face: If I was getting paid for this and that one was even a first draft that was hired work THEN I would be upset at me :joy:

3 Likes

I had a similar thought of a vault wheel which is similar to a helm but have the combination lock in the center inside instead of the compass but I had the same concern as @drehb of confusing the browser with the vault.

Don’t forget Evernote.

1 Like

I would like to echo your opinion of using the elephant. When the first bridge was built over the Mississippi River in the 1800’s, the builders decided to throw an event that included an Elephant leading the way across the bridge for the first time. People were afraid the bridge would not be strong enough because of its vast span but the tale was always told that an elephant would never step on or cross anything that wasn’t safe and stable. This act of marketing showed the bridges strength, stability and safety as all the people followed behind the elephant.

2 Likes

I am not sure if Hannibal would have associated Elephants with safety/reliability at the end of his life…
Elephant armor below is from India.

I dont think it matters as long as another browser does not have a similar icon.

1 Like

Something simple with “S” which will attract attention:

1 Like

The compass and then the wheel remind me of Netscape Navigator.

I think we should inspire freedom, expansiveness, privacy of personal communication, openness of public communication and lack of boundaries.

2 Likes