Ideas for a new SAFE browser icon

Was messing around with an idea for a new safe browser icon since a lot of us don’t care for the current one. I think a Jim has mentioned they plan on redoing it at some point but of course it’s very low priority right now so this is just for fun on my part and throw an idea out there/brain storm.

When you think of browsing or navigation it usually incites a compass, this may be too resemblant of the Apple safari browser icon but again, just an idea. There is also an opaque “perpetual motion machine” design in the background because I thought it was funny and fitting for a perpetual web. I used colors from the .tech site because, well they’re amazing.
Let me know what you think.

11 Likes

Not intuitive or known with a lot of people where English is the 2nd language, but apparently a browser is also an animal that eats leaves, fruits of high-growing woody plants, soft shoots and shrubs. Like a goat or a deer. Maybe a goat as background? You have also G.O.A.T (Greatest of all time) :goat:.

10 Likes

But of course, Goats are synonymous with web browsing. :joy: I’ve never heard that. This forum is always educational, never disappoints.

9 Likes

I absolutely support the goat as a symbol for the browser. Chickens and goats FTW!

8 Likes

Like the art style. To me the compass looks a little too familiar, don’t know why. But it got me thinking of older ways to navigate the seas, like the sextant.

Yes, now it becomes clear why I felt the icon was similar to something I have seen before. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I think a geometric ant head or geometric logo resembling the head of an ant would be pretty rad.

6 Likes

Speaking of ants, I spotted this in London the other day.

16 Likes

I’m not in favour of the Safari reference.

11 Likes

In general I feel like apple can’t just co-opt something so general as a compass for navigating the web. Also the safari logo changes often when they revamp design so looks really nothing like past ones but this does look too similar to the current one, so I agree.

I really like the sextant idea and I’m glad it’s getting people’s juices flowing. Nice to have ideas floating about.

6 Likes

I liked the idea of a sextant and might mess with it. That sea navigation theme is rather fitting for many reason including the fact that David used to be in the coast guard? I believe that’s the case. So anyways here’s another idea in the same vein integrating a helm and compass that doesn’t look so similar the safari icon. Again thoughts welcome and hope this isn’t considered a hijacking of the thread. In that case if any other ideas come up I can make a separate thread.

9 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: (20 characters…)

2 Likes

I think a separate thread would be good.

2 Likes

Like what you are doing here @Nigel. I find that the compass immediately makes me think Safari.
I know swathes of people love all things apple but there are also people who kinda dont.
So I think we should explore more unique ideas too.
Any one of the images below instantly says browser without neccesarily having squat to do with navigation.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/1/130125-5-amazing-animal-navigators/

5 Likes

A blast from the past!

netscape

7 Likes

Simple is always great.So simple S symbol is great for a browser symbol. Maybe not this exact but something like that.

I like Nigels boat theme icon but maybe to much going on (to many details) remember that the icon will be small so you wont notice the small details like the safe logo or the small minute dots.

4 Likes

To me the elephant ticks many boxes.
Excellent navigators, excellent memory (perpetual web), about as much of a symbol of “safe” as it gets

14 Likes

I find that both the ant :ant: and “safari” exploring ideas are good findings as inspiration sources.
Indeed both “concepts” could be represented into our logo by the ”explorer” ant , the one that spends time discovering new paths for the prosperity of its colony

4 Likes

the logo is cool, but i dont see any reason to search for metaphor symbols. if the browser is to be used worldwide and by non crypto users, the icon should be simple and slick. No ant or other animals makes sense. Believe me there are still persons who will evaluate the icon to decide if they want to install the app. Simple S symbol in a modern font is enough i believe , Nigels icon is also cool, but with less details - and it does look a bit like the safari browser icon though (too many similarities to other well know browsers is not the best path).

I was thinking about the below icon but i think this is to narrow audience focused and also might feel like a dark web or something.

1 Like

I’m not keen on using ants. Unless they can be made to look cute/anthropomorphic I think it would put off as many people as it attracted with those mandibles and antennae. Plus it looks a bit like the universal symbol for software bug

7 Likes

You may be correct about that. For now it is just about a stew of ideas though. Throw it all out there and see what sticks.

2 Likes