Ideas for a new SAFE application

Hey guys,

I’m new to the SAFE Network as I only just recently found out about it. I’m a developer with 4 years Erlang experience + 4 years other languages experience and have recently gotten into Rust. What application can I develop to help you guys out? I just checked out the maidsafe repos and am trying to see how things work but thought I’d ask what people really want to see out there.

12 Likes

Hi, quite a bit to go through, but here is a thread where people have expressed their desires:

5 Likes

Thanks Kafir I hadn’t seen this thread.

4 Likes

Any libs you see where tests can be examined / improved would be a great help. I am really looking to have tests be very accurate and worth running. We are finalising the routing lib just now with a new ci-test that will be very good. Then we will tie in utp from crust (with hole punching). So vaults will get a quick run through again to confirm all is well there.

Then we will add in messaging and safecoin (you can see the rfc’s for that) which will get us nicely up and running. There was an issue with utp in crust and routing code itself that is now thought to be resolved.

Just after the break I think there will be a sprint for messaging and safecoin, but with a running network. The network will be all remote on Linodes or similar (Digital Ocean) or able to be run from home (via utp/hole punching) all going well integrating that part (tcp hole punching will follow, for max penetration of home NAT devices).

So getting familiar via tests would be great and then getting into the sprint will be a fantastic way of helping out. The launcher will take on a more rpc type RESTful interface as well so the client apps will become even simpler to use.

I hope this helps a bit.

17 Likes

Thanks dirvine actually this helps a lot. Referring to sprints, is there a place that I can monitor in order to see where along a timeline the sprint currently is or when it begins in order to get involved? As for the tests, do you suggest I begin with the launcher? It would help if there was reference documentation which gave a global overview of how the systems interconnect in order to do an end-to-end test and see how the system functions from there. Also I have seen some issues which are raised in github, I assume this is the sole place the developers of these repositories monitor their issues or is there somewhere else which details which issues are currently prioritised?

3 Likes

@et4te …you may want to check https://maidsafe.atlassian.net/secure/Dashboard.jspa and http://systemdocs.maidsafe.net/ for some additional info.

cheers.

3 Likes

I’m just looking at the OnHolePunched trying to get a gist of what needs to be implemented + tracking Atlassian, very useful thank you.

3 Likes

The current Atlassian traking are outdated. Better go and check Maidsafe Github.

2 Likes

Yes Atlassian is mostly for sprints, github for all else. The last few weeks have been head down code manipulation /. re-factoring (tech talk for fixing mistakes in this instance). So for now Atlassian seems bare but it will be used again more frequently in sprint mode in the new year.

Cheers for chipping in here again, nice one.

2 Likes

Cool thanks for the info I will check the githubs until I can make meaningful contributions and Atlassian when a sprint is detected.

4 Likes

I thought there weren’t supposed to be Dev Updates for a while?

lol

1 Like

Also @et4te if you want some app ideas for further down the line, I wrote about a few at www.tiny.cc/appsite

1 Like

Those are really cool logos thanks for sharing. :smiley:

1 Like

If you click on any one of them they take you to its own page with info so you can read up on the ideas there

1 Like

I was thinking a Bitcoin wallet in SAFE Network would be handy. Would that qualify as an “app”?

4 Likes

As per: https://safenetwork.wiki/en/Wallets_(How_it_works), there will be a safecoin wallet in place when the network launches as part of the core codebase. You could develop a frontend to this wallet which allows users to view how many safecoins they currently have + does conversion rates between BTC etc. You could also extend the existing wallet to support multiple currencies, though I think this would be classed more as ‘core development’ than app development.

1 Like