IBM Watson API

Here’s the link. Not much info but seemed interesting

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/developercloud/services-catalog.html

1 Like

- YouTube has a more detailed overview of its capabilities and applications that startups and established organizations are working on with Watson.

3 Likes

Thank you @janitor

1 Like

Broken link in earlier post try this

This isn’t a detailed video but watching it makes you think of what could be done on maidsafe. Could you port Watson to maidsafe? i have some reading to do.

2 Likes

Thanks @janitor
4 sharing

1 Like

Looks like a better search front end or the future search

, I put an edit- notice also that we wouldn’t want sponsors or ads in this kind of higher search as they would be like bribery, lies, contamination, propaganda. We’d want honest search and the end of skewed search or info enclosure.

3 Likes

Very interesting, but ultimately I find myself very anti-

The demo is very impressive.

Buts:

• it reminds me of the reliance humans now have on calculators. Few people can now do basic maths, so they can’t check the calculations are accurate even if they wanted to. It takes a lot of human time and energy to do what Watson did “effortlessly” (without human effort) in about thirty seconds, so humans will - being lazy - always prefer to ask Watson (or Apple-debater, or Google-debater or Shell-debater or GOP-oracle etc) than do the work themselves.

I think the ability to research reasoned decisions is already all too rare and poorly practised. This will concentrate those abilities even more sparsely, while at the same time creating a massive opportunity for the machines to be knobbled, and to provide results that favour their controllers, or those willing to “sponsor” and pay those in control.

I’m feeling very luddit over this. Hand me that pickaxe now! :slight_smile:

The difference is that calculators would easily be found out (for example, bridges would collapse) if they gave “biased” results. This deceit will be easy to insert and easy to hide, at least in any proprietory tech. Roll on MaidSafe-debater!

3 Likes

@Warren I couldn’t agree more. I’ve noticed the Scifi author community, even the pro AI people, have the same concern.

I am wondering about a post business, post owner (George Carlin context ChristFostertv’s post) era. Some years back John Galbraith made the suggestion that technocrats and technocratic rule or power was coming to the fore or was at the forefront. I just don’t think business thinkers have adequate intelligence, or awareness, or even the right type of intelligence or awareness to address needed changes. I also think they’ve glorified abject weakness and have arrogance beyond measure. 911 is the kind of stuff the business community comes up with. They need to sit out the foreseeable future.

http://watson-um-demo.mybluemix.net/?reset=true

This is neat you can paste in text and see the results of analysis.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good to me. This is what watson has to say about @dirvine and his Language of the Network blog post.

[quote]You are shrewd and skeptical.

You are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are proud: you hold yourself in high regard, satisfied with who you are.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of efficiency.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.
[/quote]

1 Like

I put in the Donald’s major speech 6600 plus words:

result:

You are social, boisterous and can be perceived as shortsighted.

You are unconcerned with art: you are less concerned with artistic or creative activities than most people who participated in our surveys. You are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups. And you are intermittent: you have a hard time sticking with difficult tasks for a long period of time.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of efficiency.

You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you. You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done.

And Andy Weir’s The Egg entered in 4x to get the minimum statistical feed or cheat it:

You are social, somewhat dependent and can be perceived as shortsighted.

You are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups. You are respectful of authority: you prefer following with tradition in order to maintain a sense of stability. And you are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life.

Your choices are driven by a desire for well-being.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you.

*Compared to most people