IBM and Samsung Demonstrate ADEPT p2p

Just as long as it’s marketing and not advertising! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So long as its not scaled using wealth, only according to value, its fine, so you have to do it all yourself OK!? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds good, I’ll do it with the Ride of the Valkyries playing in the background :wink:

5 Likes

For anyone who’s unsure, ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ is the one which goes:

Duur dur dur duuuur duuur, duur dur dur duuuur duur, duur dur dur duuuur duuur, duuur duur dur duuur!

5 Likes

lol…

oh ok thx

Does this fall under MAID SAFE’s GPL?

What is “this”?

MAID SAFE has patented the concept of a distributed network under the GNU General Public License v.3

Does this patent require project ADEPT to be open source?

Patents aren’t patented “under a license”. A patent is a patent.

From your link:

this invention comprises a system of self healing data, secure messaging and a voting system to allow users to dictate the direction of development of the network, whereby adoption or denial of proposed add-ons to the network will be decided

The anonymity comes from an overlay on top of DHT. As far as I can tell the patent isn’t about DHT, but an implementation of DHT. There are several implementations of it, and each may be licensed in a different way.

This is funny, by the way:

This paper sketches the design of ???, a large-scale,
Internet-based, global storage utility that provides scalability,
high availability, persistence and security. ???
is a peer-to-peer Internet application and is entirely selforganizing.
??? nodes serve as access points for clients,
participate in the routing of client requests, and contribute
storage to the system. Nodes are not trusted, they may join
the system at any time and may silently leave the system
without warning. Yet, the system is able to provide strong
assurances, efficient storage access, load balancing and
scalability.

Among the most interesting aspects of ???’s design are
(1) the ???'s location and routing scheme, which reliably
and efficiently routes client requests among the ??? nodes,
has good network locality properties and automatically resolves
node failures and node additions; (2) the use of randomization
to ensure diversity in the set of nodes that store a
file’s replicas and to provide load balancing; and (3) the optional
use of smartcards, which are held by each ??? user
and issued by a third party called a broker. The smartcards
support a quota system that balances supply and demand of
storage in the system.

Can anyone guess whose work is that (without googling)?

1 Like

No this is a misconception in the crypto world. GPL == patent free in our case (As we have patents and can release GPL). Its also a misconception we patent networks or crypto :slight_smile: be a bit late for that I think.

The patents are very specific (they have to be). So we have patented things like being able to login to a fully decentralised network (or p2p network) with no servers or third party (self authentication), plus a bunch of encrypting techniques and more. The basis though is for autonomous non human controlled networking to be able to be carried out free of patents. So patent to protect from patents if you like :wink:

As there never has been an autonomous network where you could log in and retrieve private data etc. then we went and patented as large a scope around as possible, but anything we release under GPL can be used by anyone under GPL. Even contributors that contribute to our code base and agree to the license means they to can make use of our patents in form of protection.

So say we have patents on self encrypting files (we do) and you decide you want that function, well if you push to our code base as gpl and the code is good then you have protection and so do your users :slight_smile: If you just use the API rto make stuff under any license we are also cool and you are also covered, it is here the market will allow the winners to benefit regardless of license (even the unlicense license which is a licence to say there is no license, like me phoning you to tell you I wont be phoning you :wink: )

So patents cover ability to create stuff (even software) but a software license (if enforceable) allows use under certain conditions (it is really like you never own the software but lease it, which is insane but true, for us we want you to own it). The license cannot say you are patent free, but if the license owners or issuers were the patent owners then you are in a great position. Otherwise you are legally licensed to use the code, but some other person may still attack with patents (invalidating such license), however in our case we are the patent holders so when we release code blobs under GPL they are completely free (to remain free) and unencumbered, as long as people make stuff that is also free and unencumbered, so enforced freedom if you like. The debates will rage for millennia on what is free and so on, this is possibly a nice baby step, but an important on. A stance has to be taken somewhere and this is our stance be free and do as you wish except you cannot remove anyone’s freedom to see what you are doing :smile:

3 Likes

Spot on!

is this out yet?

I haven’t been on the forums in the last few days

Is the mentioned voting system part of the core? Could you also say if the 5% Foundation reward is also coded in and if one is “connected/linked” to the other?
Cheers

No :smiley:

1 Like

No need to get any more complicated tasks on the to-do list than already exist

I do believe that we will live in the world where Ethereum, Safe Network, BitShares and a pack of other smart systems will coexist as they do very different work:

• Ethereum has a blockchain.
  • Safe Network don’t has a blockchain.
  • BitShares has DPOS which is crazy mix for solving task for which Safe Network and Ethereum have not been designed.
    I like metaphors. Somebody in the space say that Bitcoin is like “Gold”. Ethereum supposed to be an “Oil”.
    Do somebody have some ideas for Safe tokens? I propose “Electricity”.

Yes they will coexist with native Safe Apps on the Safe network…that’s the goal i.e NO web servers within 10 years :smile:

2 Likes

It is really interesting to hear from you:
Don’t you suppose emergence of nextgen hybrid browsers which would be able to work with serverless networks simultaneously?
In general I do agree that networks will abandon centralized servers in 7-10 years.

1 Like

Maidsafe are working with Firefox for a plugin to browse the Safe Network directly without a dedicated installer.

Yeah thats a fork of Ethereum, with extra sauce and unlimited chains I believe.

Decerver is a distributed application server

Just how many nodes do we think these systems will achieve? If they have an architecture anything like Safe, then the network gets faster the more it is used, true…and the opposite of today’s server infrastructure…but you need a lot of nodes.

One of the premises of Safe is that if it’s a ‘server’ then it is serving whole files and subsequently can never be secured. Maybe Decerver is not file based, not sure on that one.

I’ve put together a list of videos on Safe Network here for your consideration, plenty of info from a variety of perspectives:

2 Likes