IBM and Samsung Demonstrate ADEPT p2p

Two of the world’s great technology companies have come together to demonstrate the amazing capabilities of blockchain technology. IBM and Samsung have joined forces to create ADEPT, the Autonomous Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Telemetry project.

In this live demonstration filmed at International CES 2015, researchers deploy three protocols to empower its vision of The Internet of Things — Telehash for messaging, BitTorrent for file-sharing, and Ethereum for smart contracts.

4 Likes

Holy carp.

This is all still proof of concept, and hard to tell what curves will be put in, but on the face they’re saying the right things.

1 Like

Yup. It’s real. The world is changing incredibly fast. Not sure how to feel about this.

2 Likes

Does this mean we aren’t going to go shopping anymore? We just have our devices all order supplies for us and have it all shipped to our doors? What about social interaction and meeting one another?

I know what you mean. Hope we have things in shape to launch soon.

Personally, I hate going to the store.

Who needs social interaction with real human beings when you have the internet :blush: god this has the potential to turn dystopian soooooooooo very quickly. All of our science fiction seems to be coming to life.

I’m a bit skeptical about Ethereum. And even if Ethereum turns out to work well and be useful, they can run it on SAFEnet without the need for TeleHash or BitTorrent. Ha. :smile:

1 Like

Seems like you have a passel of competing technologies, but smart contracts are going to exist weather it is etherium, counterparty, codius etc etc. Probably as many versions of smart contracts as we have Perl, C, Python, VB, Ruby etc etc etc…

1 Like

I personally think MAIDSafe, Ethereum, and Bitshares (maybe Codius…maybe) are going to be the big names that come out of this industry. They’re going to be the biggest shapers of this new cryptocurrency movement.

2 Likes

Bare in mind that corporations don’t necessarily gel with the distributed ethos. They usually want control, leading to monopoly, leading to profit.

I would rather support technology which came from open backgrounds, with people who have modest personal ambitions at the helm.

1 Like

that’s why I’m sceptical of this presentation. they drop all the right buzz words (encrypted, secure, anonymous, decentralized) but I’m not sure I believe it from these characters. They’re going to have to prove the lack of a curve ball (to me at least) before I hop on that train.

I’m sure how to feel :slight_smile: extremely excited that humanity is about to unleash its awesome potential

It’s hard not to feel slightly sceptical. I agree with @Traktion that large corps (and their shareholders) always look for control of markets and controlling the platform which runs the IOT would be a powerful position.

2 Likes

Agreed IOT should be as the Internet was originally intended, and will soon be :wink:

1 Like

Can you explain why are you skeptical about Ethereum and not MaidSafe?
TFA is about a working PoC which clearly demonstrates something useful.
It may turn out to not work well, but that’s true for any platform, including MaidSafe.
The both deserve the same amount of healthy skepticism, and in all fairness, Ethereum is ahead (which doesn’t concern me in any way, as it (Smart Contracts) is what Ethereum is supposed to do, while for MaidSafe it’s not its primary application.

1 Like

I learned about Ethereum when it was a new project and it looked interesting. Then after a while I didn’t hear about any clear use cases and only general and vague ideas. MaidSafe started much earlier, many years before Ethereum and has a more clear initial use case in secure distributed file sharing.

3 Likes

The way I see it, we’re rapidly developing the ability to create technologies to stop (or at least limit) unhealthy centralised control. The problem is that it’s sooo hard to communicate the necessity for such things to the wide variety of people necessary for adoption. :confounded:
It’s hard to see how the shift will happen. Having said that, I believe it will happen at some point. It’d be great if the road weren’t so frustratingly hard going though!

1 Like

It could be communicated very easily - just start reporting on it on the public television.
When you consider why that can’t happen, you realize where the problem lies.

1 Like

We are striving to make the SAFE Network better than the existing Internet, in terms of it’s usability, speed, resistance to security breaches, convenience…etc… I think if we are able to do this, then we will gain mass adoption beyond just the privacy and security advocates. I think it will be hard for government propaganda to stop garden variety Internet users utlising the network if it provides them with a service that goes beyond what they have today.

5 Likes

@N1ckLambert [picture me crouching in a cowboy hat as I say] I love the smell of marketing bombshells bursting in the morning. :slight_smile: