I’m a UX Designer helping to build the new Internet: Ask Me Anything

People are conditioned to fear responsibility and freedom rather than being supported on a journey to embrace it by becoming autonomous individuals. It’s much easier to follow than make choices for yourself. When confronted by that - the opportunity - that’s exactly how I expect them to react. I see the same dynamic with hard core Trump supporters. They literally worship this man rather than look for themselves. Doing so is simply terrifying for them. So don’t let that experience hit you too hard @JayBird, what you are doing is brave, and if you continue I expect that you’ll get more of this. We all will.

Part of why I was surprised to hear @JimCollinson say that “innovators” were the largest (40%) group in UK is because I see Maslow’s hierarchy of needs - the pyramid - as a very rough model for how many make it up that hierarchy. My intuitive sense is that not only do you get fewer and fewer of the population at each level as you climb, but that this is a built in limitation of growth and development.

I arrive at that intuitively because this is a development model. Everyone, pretty much starts at the bottom and works their way up. Only a proportion make it from one level to the next so it’s apparent that there will be a tapering off and fewer in the groups which are higher up.

It may be possible to change that, but I fear that society, through our anthropology and socially construction has this baked in at least as it stands now.

4 Likes

By definition, this doesn’t really make sense. I’m curious to see the underlying data.

1 Like

I thought I heard him suggest it was the smaller group later in the video? Maybe I need to re-listen! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The figure is in the thread not the video.

1 Like

This is a wee bit of a misread of the pyramid I think. It represents an individual’s journey through the hierarchy of needs, not a population. Once my basic subsistence level needs are met at the base, then I move on up through the layers ultimately ending up at the top.

It’s not a relative measure, so there’s no limit to the number of people who could inhabit the upper layers (well, not unless you start thinking about more existential things like the planets ability to support a certain population etc) and it really should be the goal of society that we can get everyone there; and it would be the marker of a well functioning society if that’s where majority of people were.

In the UK this is the largest single group, but still a minority overall. In the book Chris Rose cites a large population survey in 2008, but I found this blog post with more recent data:

http://threeworlds.campaignstrategy.org/?p=2536

Funnily enough, Chris has picked up on the video and offered to send me his latest book, so I’ll be interested to read his latest analysis!

Also Pat—the data scientist who runs his numbers—appears to be interested in the Safe Network… even though I guess the project would make much of the work he does significantly harder :laughing:

9 Likes

When will SNAPP start being coded?

Thanks

3 Likes

The videos are already working! :smile:
That’s really great to hear of interest from bright minds.

9 Likes

I know Maslow’s hierarchy doesn’t represent population. However, I think of it as also reflecting - very crudely - the reality of this distribution because development is in general terms sequential and opportunities to progress are limited by cultural and societal structures.

This leads me to think his categories don’t fit into the layers of the hierarchy that well, or aren’t closely correlated with development etc. There’s something I don’t understand at least.

1 Like

Interestingly Maslow asserts that the Hierarchy of Needs can be universally applied and are not culturally determined… and this seems to be backed up by global studies. There are some subtle changes in the ordering of fulfilment in some areas apparently, but the hierarchy holds true. Fascinating really.

Yes it’s very good and only a part of the story. He died early but other research both predates and follows his work, and work has been done to integrate many different threads to gather together a more complete and accurate picture.

Maslow stands out because he did some ground breaking work with a modern underpinning, but there is earlier work that goes deeper as well as higher up the hierarchy, work since Maslow has made progress trying to pull all this together.

One of the things we can see from this diversity is what is in common and as you note, common across cultures, making it a reliable way to look at what it is to be human and indeed the individual self. This doesn’t mean that cultural and other externals do not affect development though.

One of the benefits (and I think Maslow’s timing is why he’s relatively well known) is that understanding this is a way for those with the resources and time (those who make it out of striving) can use these models to understand and foster development in themselves and others. In fact working with others, working together is one of the best ways to do so, and the sixties was one of the times when this knowledge became widely accessible to people who were through striving, enabling relatively large numbers of people to come together to explore and realise their “human potential” in the sixties, beginning on the West Coast of the USA. That is just one instance though.

This work has been going on much longer, but the sixties was a time when it was able to grow and become accessible outside restrictive frameworks, and offer a more meaningful alternative to those frameworks that were looking out of place to a modern, educated population. A creative impulse that is part of, and part behind a change that was integrating the modern and the ancient “truths”, as well as building on them.

It’s interesting to find that many of the modern techniques which began to be developed to help personal development at that time can be found in other cultures and traditions going back centuries. Historic techniques, rituals etc were also borrowed, tested and incorporated into personal development, therapies etc.

For some, the introduction of the idea we can foster or own development is a revelation and can cause big changes - leaps in development of the individual and those around them. But at various stages there is a tendency to stop, to pause, sometimes get stuck. One of the ways to examine this is with identifications and polarities. For example this manifests in tradition.

Interestingly there’s a dialectic between tradition and innovation. You might be stuck in (identified with) either so I’m not sure if these are in fact stages in relation to each other (which might explain my misunderstanding when presented as layers in the hierarchy - again it depends how Chris defines his categories).

Once you’ve explored both polarities of a dialectic they can be used by switching from one to the other according to what’s needed in a given circumstance, enabling you to move around in the world more effectively (like having two feet rather than one) but then there’s a sticking point (a plateau) where something new needs to emerge that is both, and also completely new (a synthesis). That leads to a new quality, another part of a polarity (a new plateau) to be explored and so on.

That’s just one model of something much more complex and wonderful. :smiley:

4 Likes

Seems as though it’s unlikely we will get a testnet this week but will we get a @JimCollinson AMA video?

3 Likes

First video answer is in! I was gonna round things up and answer a bunch in one Q&A session, but it would be a rather loooong video… so it’s looking like I’ll do one at a time.

Here we go:

24 Likes

Very good explanation. Particularly like the sign-off:

“If you found this interesting go and tell your friends about the Safe Network. Or if you must, hit the Like button and feed the Google algorithm until we’ve finished making something better.”

11 Likes

Glad someone got to the end! :laughing:

6 Likes

Superb Jim, next time sign off with a guitar solo.

6 Likes

I think I’d be forced to DMCA myself

5 Likes

As long as it’s not stairway to heaven we will be fine :smiley:

6 Likes

I think Jim’s more the Wonderwall generation …

2 Likes

If he does that I bags the NFT.

6 Likes

Great video Jim :ok_hand:

2 Likes