Huge interest in anti- Facebook social Network

Looks like the demand is there guys…maybe on Maidsafe?

The final comments are the most interesting.

"But former Ello collaborator Aral Balkan said Ello has already been compromised by taking $435,000 in venture capital funding.
A designer and founder of ind.ie, a privacy advocacy group, Balkan said he worked briefly for Ello but left when he learned of the venture investments.
“When you take venture capital, it is not a matter of if you’re going to sell your users, you already have,” says a blog post from Balkan.
“It’s called an exit plan. And no investor will give you venture capital without one. In the myopic and upside-down world of venture capital, exits precede the building of the actual thing itself. It would be a comedy if the repercussions of this toxic system were not so tragic.”

The more stuff like this I see, the more excited I get about maidsafe :slight_smile:

This is actually one of the unanswered questions I have about MaidSafe. I understand that builders will be able to earn SafeCoins just by having people using their apps. However, what’s to stop builders from selling the data on their app to third parties? Assuming you’re downloading a compiled MaidSafe app, you don’t have the source code, and you don’t really know what’s happening with your data.

Now, let’s take the example of an open-source Facebook-like app on MaidSafe. A user’s data will be encrypted and added to a distributed database. Perhaps only this user’s friends will be able to decrypt and view their friend’s profile (not sure how that would even work). Wouldn’t the app creator have a master decryption key and view all the data?

Same applies to advertising on apps within the maidsafe network. There is a claim that advertising will be unnecessary because builder will be paid for users just using their app. But as we know, most people are greedy, and if there’s an additional source of revenue to be had, like adding ads or selling data, people will take it.

Would like to hear others’ thoughts.

A review on one of major sites said the site sucks (very basic) and I have to say I’m not optimistic that they’ll be able to create anything close to FB (if they don’t get all the advertising / data mining revenue).
But perhaps we could also ask ourselves - do we really need something like FB? Discourse is good enough for me, but those who want a “free FB” will have to pay for it and knowing how eager people are to do that, I don’t see that project making a lot of progress.

Yes, there are a number of issues, however it does seem to demonstrate a public interest in the concept at least of such an ad free social networking app. I think the Discourse crowd and Facebook crowd have different wants too, but I get the point.
I agree though that I don’t really see the point of facebook myself.

Yes as a concept it’s valid.
I almost said “it’d be nice to have something like that on the MaidSafe network” and I still think it would be, but the problem - which I already discovered with bitcoin - is that that if you want to stay anonymous to the hated advertisers (or from the gov’t), you don’t want to expose your identity. But if you have this real-life social network (where you’re not Al_Kafir but Joe Sixpack) you can’t use your real identity because it destroys your anonymity.
A solution - which I suggested to one post where we discussed security - was to have multiple accounts, but then you’re always one mistake away from blowing your cover and also data and password management becomes more difficult. And you can probably be easily traced by following some MaidSafe “metadata” like logon/logoff times for your various accounts and so on.

That’s why I probably wouldn’t want to use such app for real-life networking even if it existed on the MaidSafe network.

Very few people want complete anonymity, myself included. Many just don’t want their data being shared with people they don’t know and used for purposes they neither consent to or control.

The cost of such a FB app can be borne by the user community. This has been demonstrated by friendica, diaposra and alike.

The difference with SAFE is both:

• the enhanced privacy (the data for friendica/diaspora) is available to sysadmins for example, and encryption is, er, vulnerable etc.
  • that scalability is much much cheaper, because no single person has to pay for the server infrastructure. It can be funded in various ways, that I think will be much cheaper and more flexible than a “subsciption facebook”.

Probably though, new models will emerge on this new kind of network. What we know is that people love social networks. We love to stay in touch, to share, to find things through friends and like minded folk.

I just had this discussion with someone close to me. I asked them “Do you know that probably every one of those 200 silly apps you have installed on your phone collects data on you” and she said “Yes, but I don’t mind because I find those apps useful”. I would therefore say that in reality the majority is far more permissible than the many where you say you belong (FB is the best proof for the fact that most people don’t give a damn).

I may be interested in complete anonymity for at least one of my online personas, but the real solution is to not social-network if you care about your anonymity.

I hadn’t heard about Friendica until now and the first time I heard about Disapora was from you.
But I tried to use the first anonymous social network (http://socialnumber.com/) and the part I didn’t like was I didn’t know anyone there (everyone was anonymous, and at the same time you couldn’t really befriend anyone because for all you know they all may be FBI bots, so the whole thing is silly).

Yes, anonymity has its own problems. It helps to be in at the start, which I was with Diaspora but not friendica, although with the latter I tried setting up my own server, but killed it as it needed more umph for what I was doing.

I think most people accept loss of privacy not so much because they “don’t mind” but because they don’t think about it and don’t understand what it is they are saying they don’t mind about! A lot of it I probably wouldn’t mind, but once the data is out there, you can’t pull it back and as its used for new things, well you might damn well mind. So I try to be a bit conservative, or at least aware of what I share and that it could end up anywhere.

Its not surprising, its a hard issue, and TBH I don’t understand where my data ends up and what it is really used for, I just have heard enough and can imagine enough to know I’m not at all comfortable with it. I still use apps and facebook, but I try to minimise what I share, which apps I use and how etc. Just like with recycling, carbon footprint, and anything else I care about, I’m constantly evaluating my options and making choices that move me in the direction I want. Others of course have other priorities. For some it is the value they get from apps and services, for others its learning about the apps and services, etc. And of course it shifts over time for each of us.

Astonishing proof of how the majority doesn’t give a s***:

Then there is twister
http://twister.net.co/
Kinda have to be a geek to set it up.