Huawei's Strategy

Huawei can no longer use Android or ARM processors. It will be interesting to see what Huawei will come up with as replacements. They already have a new OS called Hongmeng.

I thought that Huawei was planning to release some amazing ARM processors soon. They already have a powerful ARM-based CPU for servers called Kunpeng 920. Now what could happen is that Huawei will launch their own type of CPUs.

I couldn’t find some detailed information about the Hongmeng OS and will do some more searches. I hope it will be an OS based of Web technologies similar to Tizen but even more open so that it will be possible to develop a standard progressive web app and run it directly in Hongmeng.

App stores like Google Play, Apple’s App Store and Huawei’s App Gallery are useful for monetisation, security and reliability, but their siloed, centralized nature is clunky. Not only that; having to download and install apps is like ancient technology.

With fast 5G connections it’s much more convenient to have apps behave like websites, without the need for installing the apps. And the same apps can be delivered over the Web or over the SAFE network, and work seamlessly on all devices such as desktop computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones and wearables.

And for developers to have to target different OSs is burdensome. Huawei now has the opportunity to launch an OS that runs progressive web apps directly, and with WebAssembly supporting C++ and Rust and soon even languages with garbage collection, it will be a powerful platform for both developers and users. And Huawei then bypasses the need for competing with Google’s and Apple’s app stores.

Huawei is also currently dominating the 5G market I heard. Having a monopoly situation is inefficient, but hopefully with some competition the price of 5G will drop so that it will become dirt cheap, like setting up Wifi hotspots.

5G will be useful for the Internet of Things (IoT) and I doubt that IoT companies want to have telecom companies as their infrastructure foundation. Instead what will happen with 5G I predict is that it will become like a ubiquitous Wifi replacement, not only for phones but for all internet traffic.

1 Like

Without having access to the ARM architecture, could Huawei then use the open source RISC-V standard? Interestingly, Huawei is not a platinum member of RISC-V, like Google and Samsung. They are a gold member however, whatever that means, so they could possibly use that standard.

Or, which I believe is more probable, Huawei has been working on their own CPU architecture for years now, and that’s what they will use in future projects. Remember, they have been working on their OS since 2012. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they will use their own CPUs already in their first Hongmeng devices.

But will a new OS and a new CPU architecture from Huawei matter much? After all, how much success has the Tizen OS had?

Oh yes! It’s a big deal I think. Just look at Huawei’s foldable phone Mate X which is years ahead of anything Apple has. So we can expect the same kind of future level tech when it comes to their OS and CPUs.

And by doing everything in-house Huawei can significantly reduce the overhead. Compare with Apple who relies on third party companies to manufacture their products such as the iPhone, and a lot of the manufacturing is done in China! Scary. Risky. Costly. Potentially dangerous strategy for Apple.

To speculate a bit, consider a scenario where China with its long term strategy and thousands of years of political experience outmaneuvers the U.S. Disclaimer: I do NOT believe this is what actually will happen and is only like a worst case scenario for the U.S.

Imagine that Trump removes the ban after 90 days allowing Huawei to do business with the U.S. again. And then the Chinese government replies: “Sorry, Huawei is blocked from doing more business with the U.S.” And then: BOOM! Huawei floods the world except the U.S. with information technology that is 10 times more powerful and 10 times cheaper than what is currently on the market.

Imagine further that China controls South Korea including Samsung and all of Asia and that the technological progress has been deliberately stalled for a decade. The result has been that a product such as the iPhone is very much the same today as in 2012 and with similar price.

Meanwhile, Huawei has been developing information technology according to Ray Kurzweil’s Law of Accelerating Returns which means exponential (accelerating) progress both in terms of capacity and price/performance, leaving the U.S. as a stone age country in terms of technology.

1 Like

Yes @Anders I agree with! Huawei developed some amazing techs in recent years and becoming much popular than ever. Apple might get a big hit if China tries to do the same for US. With Samsung’s foldable phone facing some display issues everyone’s attention turned towards Huawei phone. Huawei with its new OS, new CPU architecture and cheaper price than other premium smartphones might become the next favorite company to everyone.

1 Like

If Huawei has been able to develop advanced new technology such as Mate X, couldn’t U.S. corporations do the same? There are several difficulties. First, only a huge company has those kinds of research and development resources. And the American tech giants are burdened by legacy products. Intel has to keep focusing on the x86 architecture. Microsoft has to maintain the enormous Windows project. Google needs to manage their search engine, keep updating Android, their cloud services etc and has limited capacity for hardware development.

And someone said that for efficient research and development the corporation also needs to have its own big manufacturing facilities. Apple for example, is a huge corporation, but they lack that kind of in-house knowledge and skills.

I dont think only these reasons hinders them from creating phones/Technology like that. Google is working on Z-shaped foldable phone concept and Apple got the patent for foldable phones back in 2014. The thing is Samsung and Huawei were successful in building these technologies and way ahead of their competitors. Also Samsung Patents concept with In-Display front camera and sensors.

But filing patents for devices like that is one thing. Neither Google nor Apple has the actual hardware manufacturing skills needed to know how to turn the patents into viable products. I don’t have the link, but someone said that big manufacturing facilities are necessary for research and development of that kind. Most actual manufacturing of electronics is done in Asia! The U.S. has outsourced most of the manufacturing to Asia. Seems like a dangerous move strategically.

1 Like

Wow, in this video from about 21 minutes it shows how China already has factories that are starting to use robots to basically manufacture everything:

Huawei probably can do the same or at least very soon.

1 Like

In addition to Hongmeng as the name of Huawei’s new OS they have also registered the name ARK OS.

I like the name ARK OS and think they should make it open source and for progressive web apps without the need for installing apps for users and no need for app stores for developers and producers of apps. Ironically, that would make Google Play and Apple’s App Store seem like Orwellian silos in comparison. :grin:

I wonder if the Web standards today are enough to allow Huawei’s Ark OS to only use web technologies. If not, then Huawei could do what Google has done with Chrome/Chromium and add web technologies even when they haven’t become standards yet. I think that would work and I’m very curious to know more about Huawei’s new OS.

Android and iOS are so clunky and isolated. We need something more modern. And something that can be used on all kinds of devices.

Yes, I agree that the U.S. has outsourced most of the manufacturing to Asia example Apple devices are made in California but assembled in China. I fear robots will kill many jobs even though they are much needed. So not in favour of Robots :sweat_smile: .I wish Microsoft OS was in the battle too.

Microsoft has started to support progressive web apps (PWAs). Even Apple has started supporting PWAs. I would like to see a situation where PWAs can run with the same code on Windows, Chrome OS, iOS and Ark OS.

1 Like

Something that’s a bit scary is Trump’s decision to ban Huawei. It’s a huge deal. Here is Huawei’s chief legal officer talking about it:

I still think Trump has the situation under control though and that this is a carefully planned move.

1 Like

Things will get worse if Chinese Government involves in this.

Never expect something like this from IEEE.

Oh! IEEE, I thought the I stood for international, but it’s institute, haha. It’s time for an international organization for standards like that.

1 Like

What the U.S. could do long term, to prevent a worldwide Huawei monopoly situation is to focus on building and using robotics and AI. That will remove the need for cheap labour! And a universal basic income can be used as a transition tool from today’s industrial/information age to the job-free age of the future.

And I think China thinks that’s fine because they need to think of the bigger worldwide and long term picture too. Global sustainability requires win-win strategies.

Another thing the U.S. could do is to focus on WiGig instead of 5G. The U.S. company Qualcomm has been working on that for several years now.

And there is also Wi-Fi HaLow for long range and low power suitable for IoT devices.