How would YOU market the SAFE Network to the general public?

@Davidbrown - best to stay away from ‘humna rights’ type words. The message should be all focused on decentralization, data security, scalability. The terms that gel well with the commercial world as well. I know everyone on this forum is not here for commercial benefits but many of us (like me) are. I want SAFE to be used by commercial enterprises as well. Thats where the money will come from. At the individual level, if we all get to own our data, keep it secure, - thats all that matters. Let the Enterprises and governments also use the network.

I would not tailor the marketing message towards the human right/freedom type orientation. Definitely not start there…just my 2 cents.

That was Tor and this is SAFE; the base of Privacy; Security; and Freedom stands. That fundamental thought at least should not be corrupted by any bow to ignorance.

Human Rights is an appeal to the Universal Declaration of those… and should appeal widely but you are right, in that politics is contentious and it is better to keep it simple.

The point was that a clear simple mission statement can be useful, to knock down perhaps some of the duller misconceptions and challenges about why SAFE exists… and that might also help prevent some of the silly queries of why a corrupted simpler form would not be just as good.

How about: “Greed is not good”? :wink:

I am not disagreeing with you David. I want data ownership and security but if it comes with a gain on my early investment in Maidsafe, all the better. I have no shame in admitting that I invested in MAIDSAFE coins as an investment - looking for gains. There is no harm in making money while keeping your intentions clean and supporting a strong idea, venture, product, team - that also aligns with conciensce.

I am sure there are many others on this forum in the same boat as me : )

No doubt and me among them… but those aims are properly all one and the same. There are no quick wins… as so many other projects are learning - too many market what they haven’t got, as if it’s necessarily there already and burn up on the back of those looking to make a quick buck.

SAFEnetwork brings some negative and positive possibilities. With ‘negative’ and ‘positive’ I don’t mean ‘good’ and ‘bad’, but a view that users will be liberated from something and at the same time liberated to something.

It is relatively easy for me to see what we are going to be liberated from, but much harder to see what are all the things anonymity and other properties of the Safenet enables? @dirvine has written about these in his blog. I would like to see these kind of themes used in marketing - like for example the ideas of sharing healthcare data anonymously etc.

I’m stealing this to use as part of the intro to the next SAFE Crossroads episode (with attribution, of course). :wink:

Whether apps or a websites, providing thing useful, fun and interesting, and having an easy on ramp.

I’m thinking a couple things:

–All the apps that are being worked on the forum.

–A sleuth game with a sizable prize, with all the data and available actions to solve solve it contained only on the SAFE Network. And other such.

At some point we’ll see the likes of “SAFE Leaks” “SAFE Road” “SAFE Pirate Bay” etc popping up whether we will or not.

When we build it they will come.

I actually think this makes a lot of sense. Everybody and their grandmother is making an abstract decentralized blockchain “something” these days, but the technical details that make up the whole “thing” and differentiate it from the other “things” are difficult to grasp. It may be easier to market, say, a new music player/collection that everybody can add songs to. Or a “Wall” that can’t be taken down, or something like that. Then these services just happen to have e.g. security or privacy features that are not available anywhere else.

Sometimes I think SAFE Network as a “state of the Internet”. There are some similarities in the way states and SAFE work. Both issue money to fund their functions and collect that same money back from the users / citizens (PUT cost / tax). Both of them are combination of individuals collaborating through a set of rules.

Maybe one way of describing SAFE Network to general public is to say that it is:

• The State of Internet
  • United States of Internet
  • United States of Individual Devices (pun intended in the “states”)
  • United Spaces of Our Devices
  • United Resources of Scattered Devices
  • United Fragments of Collective Memory

… I’m more just brainstorming here, rather than trying to be precise , aiming for something catchy.

Come an git yer FREE MUNNY!!! :wink:

That’s pretty much the most guaranteed way of quick mass adoption. But of course you need to do that smart way, and rewarding existing unused computer resources is pretty good compromise and initial incentive.

For a full UBI system as incentive for mass adoption there’s a multitude of algorithms and parameters to solve and choose between, including but far from limited to methods of POUH/POI etc etc.

Instead of a single developer team trying to come up with their “ideal” solution, another way is to turn the choice of algorithms and parameters (of decentralized self-governance system) into engaging social game. A game called, for example:

PANARCHY MMORPG

Social game of creating the kind of public ledger (based on e.g. choice of variety of blockchains etc. datachains) for the kind of social group and organization you wish to build, with extensive but easy to use choise of algorithms and parameters. A game of building “smart contract” ledgers, if you like, and trying to get people to join and/or cooperate with your preferred smart contract parameters.

To make the Panarchy MMORPG even more fun and interesting, IMO instead of just boring flat spreadsheet it should have a 4D user interface which users and usergroups continuously build, maintain and erase in style of some sort of hybrid of Pixelcanvas and Minecraft. Inspired by Blockchain tech I’ve tentatively named this sort of 4D user interface Proof-of-Block.

The core idea is very simple and radical: instead of a single developer node trying to invent ideal algorithm soup for mass adoption and cooperation, let the decentralized nodes of social intelligence of social gamers invent and test and choose their-our algorithm soups in seemless transition between theory and practice.

From what I see, SAFEnet appears ideal place to develop and play such game, as well as being an integral and organic part of the game. Both game board and piece of the Game.

This is a deeply philosophical and spiritual question. We die so that our children live and life evolves. Evolution is narrative of extinction, 99,9 percent of all species are extinct. We need to able forget and not know to be able to experience, to have and move with arrow of time. Maybe all data past and present is stored in some sort of Akashik records, but the real practical question is not about data storage but ability retrieval and meaningful communication.

More down to Earth, this quote from article about Pixelcanvas is IMHO worth sharing:

Many millenia before Place, when humanity itself was still in its infancy (the real one, not the one on Reddit), Hindu philosophers theorized that the Heavens were made of three competing, but necessary, deities that they called the Trimurti. They were Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Protector, and Shiva the Destroyer.

Without any single one of them, the Universe would not work. For there to be light, there needed to be dark. For there to be life, there needed to be death. For there to be creation and art, there needed to be destruction.

Over the last few days, their vision proved prescient. In the most uncanny way, Reddit proved that human creation requires all three.

Edit to add: The biggest problem of ‘storage ad infinitum’ is probably not pragmatic, physical limits (IIRC there’s an information theoretical proof of no such hard limits), but linguistic: actual infinity is fiction that belongs to the fictional world of so called real numbers and ZFC set theory of mostly non-computable, non-demonstrable “numbers”, but actual data storage as long as possible requires sticking to rational computable numbers and their algorithmic combinations. And we need rational computable numbers e.g. to express the ratio of total amount of data stored vs. available data storage etc. which may turn out necessary information for the long term sustainability of SAFEnet.

Hey, I’m new here… Awesome project btw (also can I claim a token here for the browser?)

I agree with many of the statements provided above and the narrative they provide. However, if the point of this marketing question is to provide solutions to activate mass adoption. I would point out one necessary issue that I can’t see has been tackled anywhere on the forum…UX. (if there is a UX channel please point is out to me: - maybe it’s in a development channel?)

One of the reasons why I point this out is that I was really happy to see that there was a SAFEnet browser that I could download on the website. However, (example) being re-directed to a git-hub page would be an instant extra touchpoint that would restrict (non-tech) user flow.
Understandably the browser is still in alpha state -
But what I am trying to get at is that part of the reason large tech conglomerates (google, apple) are so effective at continuously reaping 1000’s of new users per day is partly due to their massive investment into UX, user-journey and design. They spend tons of cash and energy just on trying to optimise and minimise 4 touchpoints to three.
Speed and ease of access are the key components to driving mass adoption.
I would be happy to set up a UX channel for ideas to optimise apps/modules on safe-network :slight_smile:

:+1:

which prompts a thought, could the network host some entry point that is accessible?.. allowing download of the browser directly, to anyone that can see any part of the network. It would be great if the network was pulling in new users without more effort than visiting and accepting a download. Not sure how that would work, perhaps it could redirect to core nodes that can do the usual through whatever flavour of route was used to arrive.

Sounds like the public gateways that IPFS has.

I second that - UX will be key - make it super easy for the everyday Joe.

I second that - UX will be key - make it super easy for the everyday Joe.

Nice point… (Key words that you mentioned are “entry point”) And this is where it can get interesting - design entry points that are well thought out and equally consider a users journey while providing the right incentives and you start to discover where to provide points of access/gateways that new users can find easily or even wish to retrieve content from… Develop good incentive mechanisms and the end goal may result in a user directly accessing a decentralised network without even knowing that they entered it until after they experienced it. …An example could be - an automated pop up message after they used the network stating “you just surfed the new internet without leaving a digital footprint!, of course I understand the governance issues involved regarding users in a network and incentive/contribution + the authorization protocols needed for it but one needs to get creative when designing whole new networks…:wink: