How will the SAFE Network affect your life

Instant bookmark. This is surely a good thread. Sry, out of topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Money, messaging, and compute, will become almost like air, in a sense: ubiquitous and immediately available for a small cost: free as in bird, not as in beer.

The absence of a blockchain, and the ubiquity of safe nodes, do this.

It is hard to overstate how important “free” (bird, not beer) money is: all central control in our world depends on that pressure point. Banks are giant financial “servers” and SAFE does away with servers.

2 Likes

Yes, I hadn’t thought much about the importance of money in this equation until quite recently. Privacy, Security and Free Software are important, but now I see how important a free currency will be in order to make these other things a reality.

1 Like

To reply 100% to the original topic: I will find a way to make my livelihood from this, whatever it takes.

Initially I will do development work such as coding.

Along the way I shall create services that leverage SAFE’s particular properties.

4 Likes

Just bumping this old thread. There has been some similar ones active recently, and I think this is worth (re)reading.

5 Likes

Good spot. I’ve often thought it wouid be useful to go through all these old threads and collate their contents to create a reference store of good ideas. Then I think of the work involved and I go and have a beer instead. Anyone know any robots?

5 Likes

I think the title of this post is not accurate as it sounds that is all about the future when the network is launched, while I think the SAFE Network has been affecting people’s life for long time already. The very first moment you learn about the SAFE Network, your life changes immediately, simply because it changes immediately the way you think about many things, so it will not change your life from the moment it’s launched but from the moment you understood what this is about. Well, at least that’s how it changed mine :slight_smile:

14 Likes

On this subject in the Dev Forum - also two years earlier:

Documenting Safe Network development

@Pierce wrote
Scanning through the forum I see so many good ideas and extensive conversations. Little of which turn into formalized documentation.

Expressed interest in documenting Safe network development before and did look at a few index-and-then-search options but could not convince myself of its usefulness.

Conclusion at the time, so not all that able but willing and do need input regarding:

When it concerns an indexed listing of sorts you have to take care the information is updated regularly or it’ll be useless in no time. So once you’ve established exactly what information from where you want to ‘collate’ the next question is, how to set this up so the process kind of runs by itself, without too much redaction?

Also quoted @dirvine in it:

@dirvine wrote
I may start a thread about some kind of way to collate all of these and seek options etc.

But maybe his concerns where more about repositories:

We must at some stage collate links to all of these as we go along. I am not sure should we fork them all under a maidsafe community repo and have folks, including us update the code when the API’s are maturing etc.

The war is over. It was clandestine. Good won. The reveal is merely being slow-rolled to the public according to timeline limitations of tech development and various system replacements…not to mention just a lighter touch on everyone’s consciousness to make the transition out of the matrix. What do you think all of this crazy news about technology/social media, politics, global trade, etc. this year is all about anyway? The media is Troy and the horse is the negative news.

That’s to deaf ears.
Never seen again, fallen in battle before you could reach him, perished.
You could say @bluebird did the parrot-thing, dead, is no more, what was it, kicked the bucket?
Now an ex-saver?

1 Like

Probably a Norwegian Blue then :wink:

I LOVE it. Our marketing messages should be - take each of the above points, create a marketing punch line around it and publicize - push it through all channels of social media and block chain enthusiasts.

1 Like

I meant use each of the lines above individually and create a punch line around it and then push it through all channels. Thats 15 powerful punch lines right here.

6 Likes

I also think we need liquidity - Need our coin listed on one MAJOR exchange. HitBTC alone is not going to cut it. Listing on a big exchange is critical for price appreciation.

2 Likes

“Running a machine learning app and letting the network do all the calculations” is nonsense. This is extremely hard to do (at least with current technology and algorithms).
The best we have so far is MPC - Multi Party Computation which is already several orders of magnitude slower than native speed.

Loads of machine learning is already done in the cloud. Think of NVIDIA’s cuda-cores and now Google’s TPU’s. That stuff is very much distributed, not in a geographical way but surely over different cards etc.
There’s also work on homomorphic systems combined with machine learning, something that could become big on systems like SAFE. The fact that there isn’t a current click-n-go-solution today doesn’t rule out anything for the future. And with project like Folding at home doing distributed computing for 18 years now there’s proof that this distributed stuff can be done.

6 Likes

Distributing calculations on aggregated data is one story. That’s what NVIDIA and Google are doing.
Doing distributed calculations over distributed data is a complete different story. Except for summary statistics, there’s not much one can do (in realistic time and complexity).
In addition to that, distributed data should also be encrypted (else they would be public data - one can just download and run algos on). In this last case only homomorphic encryption and MPC make sense as viable solutions. But training a machine learning model in encrypted state (with HE or MPC) can be orders of magnitude slower than training at native speed. Hence, a neural network that usually trains in a day (and I am being an optimist considering data is distributed), would train in ~ 100 days when such data is also encrypted.
Folding at home covers only one aspect of data analytics. Namely, every node in the FAH network receives a chunk of data and an algorithm that can be run independently on each data chunk (eg. detecting spikes in time series, modes, etc. ). That’s why it is easy to parallelize and distribute such a task.
This is not the case for general purpose machine learning.

2 Likes

Nice post

I think there are more options here, such as bulletproofs and STARKS with range proofs and more as we move along. (BTW many folks will not know all the acronyms you are using, may be worth expanding them).

There is a large momentum now in neuroevolution and open-ended AI that in fact does allow easy parallelisation systems such as ec-star are good examples. So some issues with gradient search etc. can be much easier approached via co-operative methods. Then objective-less functions, as opposed to fitness or performance functions, are also extremely interesting. If you check out some of the stuff www.sentient.ai is playing with then you may find it as interesting as I do.

In any case what I mean is that distributing chunks of stuff to computers to work on in this case is applicable to AI, whether we call it machine learning (which I do) is perhaps debatable, but it is never the less interesting :+1:

5 Likes

Absolutely agree with you, distributing chunks is still a good way to parallelize machine learning tasks (whenever possible). I also like to call it machine learning as AI doesn’t really mean anything (i’m sure we don’t need to do marketing here :wink:

My point was that not all machine learning is about distributing chunks.
Will look at sentient.ai and continue this conversation.

Nice to meet you David. I “met” you via your self authentication and self encrypting data papers
Great stuff :wink:

12 Likes

And boy have they patented it :grin:. Only to keep it open.

2 Likes