How to store your MAIDSAFE coins in a bitcoin wallet using Omniwallet for withdrawal

thanks you! i will try it… but still thinking why is not posible for the team to do a official MAID wallet you can download

Because for MAID it would be a clone of omniwallet. So why waste time creating the clone and maintaining it when omniwallet and omnicore wallet do exactly what you want and there is another team maintaining it.

1 Like

yeah, its true, i´m only speaking by people who do not know anything about the internet like me… will be easy if you have something you can download and directly you have the way to hold it do it without using others wallet or btc wallet. Anyway thanks for your support

1 Like

I do package maintenance officially for Debian, and impose a rule on myself to only juggle cryptocoins using code in Debian - i.e. not relying on web wallets that may leak data or disappear.

Thanks for the discussion here: I am now looking into packaging OmniCore wallet.

Packages packaged and released officially to Debian will also trickle into derived distributions - most famously Ubuntu but hundreds of others too - for those using Debian only indirectly.

3 Likes

The omnicore is added onto the bitcoin core so you can use it as a btc wallet too.

2 Likes

Hey guys, sorry to bump the thread but I need clarification. I’m hoping I can get a bit of your time.

Here goes.

When I purchase a bitcoin and send it to my wallet, what exactly is received? Do I get the private keys to each bitcoin I purchase?

From my understanding each coin is stored on the blockchain via its public key. The only way for someone to claim it or transfer ownership is to use the private key. Is that correct?

If I then use bitcoin to purchase Maid I would then be given the private key to each of my Maid coin. If held in say an omni wallet installed on my system how would I convert my coins to a paper wallet?

When I’m ready to bring my paper coins online how would I transfer it from paper back to my computer?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to wrap my head around all of this. Maybe this might help others.

The bitcoin you bought is received to an address in your wallet.

The bitcoin is stored in a bitcoin address, which your wallet created a public key and private key for.
The only way for someone to transfer it from that address is with that pvt key.

If you buy on an exchange you will never own the pvt keys as they belong to the wallet adrress the exchange uses.
If you created an address in a wallet, you would know the associated pvt key, if you sent your maid there, they would be safe.
A paper wallet is just that public( if you wish ) and pvt key written / printed on paper.

You would use omniwallet, you would need to input your pvt key, that would allow you to move them on the bitcoin blockchain ( they will never actually be on your computer). You would also need some bitcoin on the same address to get omniwallet to move the maidsafe.

Ask away, don’t be sorry, its how we learn.
Hope this helped.

Another key point new people do not always realise.

BTC is simply a ledger entry in the BTC blockchain. THe blockchain is a chain of blocks which in its entirety is a ledger book containing all the transactions. From that the balance on any address is calculated out when a balance inquiry is done.

As @bones said your BTC address has a private key that you keep private and it is used to sign transactions which sends an amount of BTC to another address. This is where a wallet helps because it can keep your private key and do the work of signing transactions and show you your balance

There seems to be a bit of a fundamental misunderstanding here. You are never given a private key (if you were, it isn’t very private, right?!). You generate your private key. On something like an exchange, they provide you a deposit address, but they control the private key for that address. This makes them the custodian in control of assets at that address. It is where the phrase “not your keys, not your coins” comes from.

Here are more details, which may be more detail than you were looking for, but since you send interested…

The private key is just a random number within a very big space of possible numbers. The space is so large that everyone can just randomly pick as many private keys as they want for themselves, yet there is still essentially no risk of anyone else picking the same number or guessing your number. Obviously having a truly random number is important here to ensure that this is the case.
From there, cryptography and hashing are used to go from the private key to the Bitcoin address as described here.

Here you can find more specific information:

1 Like

when I withdraw MAID, can I use fee maidsafecoin, or must there send first bitcoin?

MAID is on Omni; so, will look to BTC for the fee. There’s not that flexibility yet that I’ve seen to charge a token.

can I use other wallet to withdraw MAID? I dont want use web wallet.

I would recommend a Trezor-T. Be sure to order it directly from Trezor and not from Amazon. You can send and receive MAID using this. Be sure you have 8000 Sats at the address you want to send the MAID to.

Why exactly 8000 sats, you mean to have fee on transaction?

8000 satoshis.
.00008 btc.

You need that to move the maid from the address you send to, to be able to send from it.

As maid is on the btc blockchain, moving it will require a btc fee.

1 Like

I must first full sync omni wallet? Because I do not see anywhere something like “load private key”? thanks

Yes, it works on btc blockchain, so you need to download or wait and sync the whole btc chain.
Thats to send.

I’ve never used it, but would imagine import / export pvt key tabs to be available.

I believe its based on bitcoin qt.
Do you get a wallet screen with tabs on the upper left of the wallet window as in qt, if so use those to find the import option.

There’s at least a debug console command for that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/omni/comments/4yl6dk/how_can_i_import_private_key_of_bitcoin_wallet/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

1 Like

When they say bitcoin core, just pretend they said omni core

1 Like