How To: Join the Ethereum network

This gives a nice explanation of the vision of Ethereum Ethereum: what’s about to happen

A bit ambitious maybe but a pretty good read about what’s possible. He actually references Tim Berners Lee in the article as well :D.

2 Likes

I hate this kind of thing. As a crypto / tech writer but not a programmer at all, I really struggle with this kind of thing and after pissing around for hours and still failing to generate the genesis block, or even find out how (everywhere says they will announce it on twitter, but they didn’t do that) I have lost all patience with Ethereum. I really hope Safe isn’t like this at all, because this kind of thing really leaves a lasting bad impression. I’m left convinced that the whole thing is so that only a small group of people can get their coins to the exchanges to sell at the ridiculous prices they are going for now (and will continue to go for until regular users can get their coins to exchanges at which point the price will crash through the floor).

4 Likes

It certainly isn’t ready for public consumption yet. Its at a developer only stage…

I didn’t have too much trouble finding the genesis block… 0x11bbe8db4e347b4e8c937c1c8370e4b5ed33adb3db69cbdb7a38e1e50b1b82fa

That is a fairly good point though. There are a lot of people excited about maidSAFE that may get frustrated if they get on too early with these Dev packs etc… It probably won’t be ready for non-nerd consumption for quite some time after it is functional.

3 Likes

Still can’t do it, lol, I’ve installed python but it still says python isn’t a valid command.

Anyway you are right, this release is not for people like me, I just always get frustrated because it would be useful for my work if I could do things like this occassionally, but whenever I try to do anything aimed at programmers (and I mean literally every time) I follow the instructions precisely and it just doesn’t work. I even tried to learn programming to see if it would help and did a couple of online course - I could do all the coding parts of the courses fine, easily even, but still whenever I have to install or use a piece of software aimed at programmers I just can’t make it work. And don’t get me started on documentation written for programmers - in order to understand the documentation for one thing you have to read the documentation for 10 others, each of which requires you to read the documentation for 10 others, and so on…

My frustration was compunded this time because, although I wasn’t planning to sell before, I just looked at the prices Eth is trading for on Kraken and it is being massively overvalued imho (probably because supply is limited by dunced like me not being able to do it but demand has been pent up for so long and is therefore strong) so I kind of wanted to sell some.

Hopefully they will have a lego-block style interface come up soon.

That will be pretty slick for a lot of things. Til then, I think I will let them keep developing. and look forward to cutting my self with the bleeding edge maidsafe products. I suspect there will still be some bleeding though.

1 Like

yes, lego sounds about my level, lol.

There may be some bleeding with maidsafe too, but from what I can see the dev team here are absolutely not rushing things. I think Ethereum have been rushing to get something out before they may have otherwise because they are burning through massive amounts of cash and have now nearly run out.

Try kraken.com they have created a tool to easily import your json wallet from the presale. I’m on mobile now can’t provide it but it was something called “swoop” kraken I believe

1 Like

Thanks, that’s awesome!

If Im not too busy playing with my shiny new SAFE login a week on Sunday I might go to this…

Ethereum Developers Workshop: Turing Festival 2015 in Edinburgh.

Lol…spot on…

Yeah, luckily the Maidsafe team don’t spend much money as they are Scottish - world renowned for being what the Scots call “canny” (from the Latin for “tight arsed”). :smiley:

2 Likes

Many many bawbees were saved when it was discovered that a YumYum sprinkled with sulph gave the developers superhuman coding powers and removed the need for sleep.

Removing the need for sleep meant the devs didn’t need anywhere to sleep, thus saving £££s on salaries that would otherwise be frittered away on rent and related nonsense.

They’re no daft doon in Ayrshire, y’ken.
Well no aw aw thum

4 Likes

Al_Kafir
see us tight-fisted Scots?

The Rev Stu’s website Wings Over Scotland has an audience composed entirely of Scots and UK spooks from Cheltenham.
Perhaps it was the GCHQ team who contributed so generously to the poor lady from Kidderminster?
maybe

1 Like

Yes, some Judges make ridiculous decisions and it shows what their values are. It reminds me of the Judge Cherie Blair (wife of Tony) once introducing a similar small punishment for exactly the same thing actually because she believed the fact the guy attended Church and was basically a “man of the book” , this mitigated a violent assault…the obvious inferred corollary being that if he had been an atheist, she would have thrown the book at him!..Lol… :smiley:

1 Like

For clarification, it should be noted that the Rev Stu got his divinity degree the same way that the late Rev Iain Paisley got his - via a mail order catalogue in Kentucky :smile:

Stu Campbell is many things but a professional god-botherer is not one of them.

1 Like

Pissing around with the genesis block bothered me as well. Pointless.

1 Like

Hey glad to see you again! Are you still planning / working on black apps? I’m finishing the new app site and updating it’s page