[How To]: Buy/Move/Store OMNI MAID :safe: hardware and software wallets

sorry…late night, one thing I just remembered to ask.

The maid represented in trezor as btc is a nominal amount ie doesn’t correlate to maid exactly in value.

If bittrex choose to help, how could they remedy? Send it back to the receiving address - my trezor one? minus fees etc.

Anyway that’s probably enough of me cluttering up this thread! Really if anything just shows me how non-trivial it is to understand this whole crypto stuff, to an extent (which I don’t)

1 Like

They’d just add the BTC you sent to your BTC account balance on Bitrex

1 Like

I understand where your confusion comes from. Let me try to explain.

Your MAID and bitcoin are different and do not overlap. Imagine that your Bitcoin is a car and MAID is a passenger in the car. You pressed the accelerator and pushed the passenger out of the car. The car continued forward and the passenger remained on the road.

I’m trying to tell you that your MAID is left in your Trezor. You only sent Bitcoin to Bittrex. Your confusion probably comes from the fact that the Trezor software only shows the car (bitcoin), but not the passenger in it (MAID). To see the passenger use the github site.

Privacy. Security. Freedom

1 Like

ok thanks…is this not less than my initial maid?

What happens to the maid in circulation that I previously owned? (as in I held more maid in btc value than is shown in trezor as btc)

1 Like

It is not in BTC value. MAID does not appear in the Trezor at all. What you see is only your Bitcoin. MAID only appears on this site:

https://trezor.github.io/omni-trezor/

When you send MAID, a bit of Bitcoin is sent with it. You think this little Bitcoin is MAID, but it’s not. They’re separate. This is how the technology works - they have to be sent together because MAID is on the Bitcoin blockchain, and there can be no zero-value transactions in Bitcoin in the Bitcoin blockchain.

1 Like

thanks, I do understand a bit, I think…the btc acts as a carrier or transport mechanism. But I don’t understand fully as the below questions show - I can only see btc in the segwit tab of

https://trezor.github.io/omni-trezor/

the same as I could see in the original trezor site (x amount of btc).

Should I be able to see my maid balance, in actual maid there?

I’m having a terrible feeling that for some reason my original maid (bought iirc on polonix) has been turned into btc when I originally sent to trezor. I did send the maid direct to trezor…did I need to get an address from omni-trezor to send to? And if I so, does this mean the maid I previously owned have just been erased or taken out of circulation?

1 Like

Do you know what address you sent it to? MAID should also be displayed - if it is not displayed in the segwit tab, it may be because you moved the bitcoin with the transaction in which you sent Bitcoin to Bittrex. The site only shows addresses that have at least 8000 satoshis, if your MAID is at an address with fewer satoshis it will not be displayed (I know it’s stupid).

So I ask you, do you know to which address you originally sent MAID? If you know it, you can look in https://omniexplorer.info/ to see if there is MAID in it.

1 Like

Iv’e looked back in email and can see I sent from polo to an address - I checked the address just now with omni explorer and there is maid there…kinda phew.

And the address is also showing as the same in my wallet.trezor.io as the first transaction in.

Sounds like the maid is still there, hopefully. Can I still use OMNI Trezor to send some to the exchange?

1 Like

You can, if there are at least 8,000 satoshis in this address. How much does it show you that there is in it?

1 Like

ah, there is only around 500.

I thought I sent sufficient btc initially. Can I just send some btc to the address from coinbase. Then use the github omni trezor link to see the maid and transfer to bittrex?

Will try to get my head around, you’ve helped massively ty i think I get where I went wrong at least.

1 Like

Yes, that will work. But I’d send more than just the 7500 Satoshi. That’s the bare minimum, and fees are high right now.

2 Likes

I managed to find the maid showing in my wallet using the trezor Omni interface after sending some BTC. Yes fees seem harsh right now.

Think part of my confusion was seeing BTC in the trezor wallet in the first place although may have sent a small bit previously which has gone up in value. Definitely need enroll in kindergarten

Anyway got a bit of maid finally onto bittrex now thanks again @Dimitar

1 Like

This is a feature of Omni. If you send MAID and nothing else, a bitcoin wallet will think there is a small amount of bitcoin at the address.

2 Likes

When I originally made the exodus from the exchanges -polo- I sent the maid to the trezor generated address. Then sent some bitcoin too.

But in my trezor I seem to have a larger amount of BTC then I thought (around $800). It’s possible i sent some separately and it’s since grown in value with the appreciating BTC price.

Likewise when looking in Omni explorer earlier I could see only a very small amount of BTC (not enough to see the maid).

I know I’m missing something went probably should just read more into, especially the trezor site to start. Part of sending it into the exchange and maybe down the road using BTC to pay for something is just to get my head around by doing.

Maybe the BTC showing in my trezor - the $800 is just there as a feature (as like you say it’s got maid and needs to show something).

Hopefully I’m not being too confusing… The above I’m talking about the standard trezor.io wallet and what is showing there.

1 Like

That site doesn’t know anything about Omni coins, so it’s just showing you BTC.

You were just looking at the address that had the MAID. Sounds like you have BTC on a different address

2 Likes

It seems to me that you are a bit confused too :slight_smile:

When you make transactions with OMNI, a small amount of satoshis is sent separately from the omni tokens (but included in 1 transaction). I guess this is necessary because there can be no BTC transactions with 0 satoshis…

In the Trezor you have many public addresses, by default every time you make a new transaction you get a new address. The interface shows the money in total from all addresses (but only BTC money, MAID is not visible at all from the interface - it is visible only in the github page).

2 Likes

Yes Omni protocol is that to send an Omni asset (eg MAID) the protocol encodes the MAID transaction into the data area of a BTC transaction.

So the BTC transaction carries the Omni Asset transaction info. If you look at the data section of the BTC transaction you can see the data section has a bunch of bytes which is the omni transaction info.

This why a tiny amount of BTC appears in the Omni address which is actually a BTC address

3 Likes

It’s definitely making a bit more sense. I think the BTC showing must just be old BTC left over from the exchange I sent when I first set up the trezor. The balance all showing as one despite multiple wallets also makes sense, just.

I was in a bit of a rush to get the maid off polo and kind of just rubbed my hands once I thought it was done (at the time I do remember now hearing about the inability to see the maid in trezor and the need to use the Omni site, but didn’t do).

Have a few books I’ve just put on my Kindle today that are crypto related so will endeavour to make a start learning a bit more.

1 Like

Can Bittrex be used to buy MAID in the US? The markets list doesn’t show any results for “MAID”. What are the other trustworthy options?

1 Like

There are 2 Bittrex sites - US and international. MAID is only available internationally. From the US try through this site https://changelly.com/

Screenshot_2021-05-10_02-51-17