[How To]: Buy/Move/Store MAID :safe: hardware and software wallets

Yes, I referred to this but am asking if the table is realistic, and the effect of using a memorable phrase rather than a random sequence etc.

BTW I’m pretty sure you won’t need to brute force the pin. The pin is a way of protecting a Trezor so that it can store the seed and avoid you having to enter it every time you use it. I think the Kraken hack exploits the fact that the seed is stored in the Trezor, and allows you to extract it without knowing the pin. The passphrase is not stored, and that’s why using it makes this hack much harder, or perhaps useless as Trezor claim.

Passphrase is off as default, you need to enable it.

2 Likes

Ahh thanks. Was about to have a minor freakout.

1 Like

It is optional. See in the software settings.

Privacy. Security. Freedom

1 Like

It will create a new hidden wallet by combining recovery seed and passphrase, I’d certainly set that up and transfer the funds to a passphrase protected address.

2 Likes

Just curious why you felt the need for the troll face?
Discussion is important, especially about securing funds.
My questions were genuine and at least one person now knows how to better do so.

3 Likes

Because the thieves won’t be very happy after they’ve made such an effort to understand that you’ve put in extra protection … I guess they’ll feel troll-ed :lol:

1 Like

I just wanted to comment that @Dimitar was right. I have disabled the browser proxies and indeed the Trezor Model T now works perfectly. Once again I had access to my little maid basket. Thank you very much for the help @Dimitar :clap: :ok_hand:

5 Likes

quick question for @Dimitar

I am currently trying to decide whether to Trezor or not to Trezor.

do you use tails or any clean crypto PC while you are using your Trezor ?
as you mentioned before you have a Trezor one and I am thinking of getting a Trezor one but am worried about keylogging while entering the pass phrase.

1 Like

Entering the pass code each time is different, because you enter with the mouse, pressing dots on the computer screen plus on the screen of the Trezor every time the order of the numbers changes, ie. if your code is 1234 each time you will click with the mouse on different points on the computer screen.

Also, the purpose of the Trezor to have a screen is if your computer is compromised and in your monitor is shown that you will send to the correct address but in the background it’s change to a hackers address, then when the transaction is sent for signing to the Trezor you will see that the addresses are changed (if you are careful every time and watch carefully). :dragon:

1 Like

that’s the pin code I understood that from Trezor site that you click on random squares.

I was asking about the passphrase you use as well as your seed.
upon logging in every time do you have to enter the passphrase which gets you to the correct wallet
and do you have to enter it every time ?

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t understand your question at first. The passphrase and the recovery seed are only used if your Trezor ever breaks down and you have to generate the same keys in a new Trezor.

1 Like

that makes it clear for me now so the Pass Phrase is only used on the initial set up of a new or replacement Trezor.

So I could do the initial set up of the Seed and Pass Phrase on a clean Linux distro then after that be able to use the Trezor on any PC using the secure pin.

1 Like

Yes :jeremy:

1 Like

Is that true when you have multiple wallets with different passphrases? How do you switch between wallets?

2 Likes

You have to reset the Trezor every time and set it up again.

The only point to do this for me is if you want to make Safe wallets for family and friends and give them to them afterwards…

2 Likes

The only selling point for the Trezor T to me was that you could input the Pass phrase on the touch screen.

But now seeing as I only need to put in the Pass Phrase once at the start on a clean compute ON a Trezor one.

It’s making the model T look very pricey for not much extra benifit.

1 Like

The other benefit for me is that the model one doesn’t support one of the other coins I keep on my model T.

1 Like

Maybe you can switch wallets using just the passphrase on the T. That would make it worthwhile. Anyone know?

Those devices are very small though, so I wonder what the UX is like for PIN and passphrase entry on each.

1 Like

I’m not sure about Trezor, but that is the case for Ledger wallets. You can input the passphrase at runtime on the device, or you can associate different pins with different passphrases. So I’d expect this to be a feature on Trezor as well.

1 Like