How should one update their sn_node on a platform that isn't supported on automatic update?

Maidsafe so far only supports the x86_64-unknown-linux-musl architecture for linux machines.
Raspberry pi 4’s however run on aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu or maybe musl as well, as that’s only a library one needs to download, correct?

Anyway, that still leaves x86_64 vs. aarch64 and thus I cannot update sn_node 0.26.7 to 0.2x.xx using

$ ~/.safe/node/sn_node --update-only
Current version is '0.26.7'
No releases are available for updates

Also, for some strange reason it believes that 0.26.7 is the latest update.
As of writing, sn_node’s latest version is at 0.26.15.

I could build a new sn_node from source and then replace the old one with the new one, but I’m unsure what the consequences of that would be. Would I have to restart for it to work?
Would it kill the network if it happens?


Just a guess…?

1 Like

There is a known issue with the updater crate which is capping the list of releases to max 100 causing what you see, so we have to fix that but in the meantime we have a workaround which we can apply tomorrow and you’ll be fine and can retry then.

You certainly can do that, whenever you want latest sn-node to be installed simply run $ safe node install and it will overwrite it with latest version from Maidsafe.


That’s not working for me.

$ safe node install
Latest release found: sn_node v0.26.10
[2021-02-17T00:15:20Z ERROR safe] sn_cli error: No asset found in latest release for the target platform x86_64-unknown-linux-musl

No, that’s affected by the same issue as node update, what I tried to mean is that once it’s fixed you’ll be able to use it to overwrite whichever version you had installed.

I’ll wait then.
In the mean time is it advisable to switch rustup toolchain from stable-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu to stable-aarch64-unknown-linux-musl?

1 Like

I would. …


@folaht that’s the workaround applied at our end so the updater crate should see the correct latest node version now (v0.26.15 at time of writing). As bochaco says we’ll look at a more permanent solution for this.

@bochaco in the meantime I’ve set a weekly reminder to apply the manual workaround until we have a fix in place.


This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.