How much do you plan to upload to the SAFE network?

I have about 300 G of a big 15+ years old mess in my current drives.
My plan would be to enjoy the very good occasion and give it a severe cleanup, and keep only what I really find worth it, maybe about 50 G, which will then grow into a big mess again in the network :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just to specify what public information is involved. I plan to make an accounts of the most valuable YouTube channels on the SAFE Network and copy their content. Then I will give them the accounts. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Personal photos and home movies - 150 G
Completed work projects - 10 G
My painstakingly recorded collection of ~2500 vinyl records ~300G
Other music projects (completed) - 30 G
Other ~ 1 G

So, about 500 G of personal, to be immortalized stuff, adding about 5 G / month

I am also looking into getting scihub on safe as a public service.

4 Likes
  1. i would like to mirror the arch linux repository to the SN. 100 gb > but with frequent changes
  2. my music collection, not that big so it’s only ~200gb (all flacs)
3 Likes

We only have a few 100s of GB because we rely so much on the Internet. The Internet Archive should be uploaded but we need to share the cost of that! It’s 45 Petabytes.

5 Likes

why do we need anything like this hard coded in to make money from sharing content? Its either a paywall to go in or a donation button and I see no reason that could not be just part of the layout of the site itself rather then a special feature of the network. I am sure there is a reason knowing you lol. just curious what it is.

I think at first people will see this as a way to backup the files they already have. I mean what else am I going to upload other then what I have? Over time people will be like oh ya who cares about disk space I have this infinity disk lets create more data and just save it all there.

What I want is an app for my phone where when I take a picture it automatically gets saved to my SAFE ID. Then when apple or google is like oh why don’t you pay a monthly cost for more cloud storage I will be like “no thanks just delete that all”

4 Likes

Well the network is going to pay APP developers for the APPs why not pay people for their content that others find useful. Pretty much the same principle.

The purpose is to attract people to upload their quality content that others want and this will help to grow the network much faster. The network pays and not you, farmers still get the same rewards.

For instance this helps to grow the network by attracting the following types of content. For some of this it is free to store on clearnet so there has to be a reason to change

• Open source projects (extra income for them based on the usefullness and/or popularity)
  • Content creators - as long as they upload their best quality otherwise pirates will
  • Everybody encourage to upload creative works of their own and will obviously include works of others who do not upload their best quality (It’'l happen anyhow so lets encourage original creators to upload their best works and defeat the reason for pirates)
  • the photos that become iconic
  • Books
  • education material
  • and a millions of other types of material that people see no need to have on the safe network till its the global network
7 Likes

PtP is an incredibly powerful mechanism for propelling the network and thrusting it in the direction of openness, quality content, contribution and sharing. I really really hope that it is possible to accomplish

2 Likes

Personally, only a few Terra-bytes …

Business-wise, if we get PtP, then I anticipate and hope to use hundreds to thousands of Terra-bytes. No joke.

The latter will depend on PtP and the speed and latency of the network, so wait and see, but unless it horrible, shouldn’t be a huge problem. Also will need to verify that the network is future-solvent and stable.

All up will take a year or so after launch before really uploading much.

The issue was some who did not think it was good and thought it would either reduce their farming, increase their PUT cost OR didn’t like the idea of earning based on what they uploaded. It of course only pays a small amount based on how popular that content is, and the uploader paid in the first place to put it there

1 Like

Yeah, I meant like possible to accomplish a fully working PtP system in the wild. I’m not aware of any big flaws or fundamental problems (haven’t delved into it either), but we’ve never had an autonomous network, and never had one with PtP. It’s a new thing so there’s no guarantee that it will happen. I really hope it does, because of the strength it would give the network.

1 Like

ok but I still don’t see why they need to code in a “store.” Why am I more enticed to share content when it is hard coded in to the network vs if I just have pay walls and donate buttons other then it now feels like the central authority of the safe network controls it which is not really actually that enticing to a person who believes in decentralization?

Who is talking of that?

farming rewards is not a store
app devs rewards is not a store and
ptp rewards is not a store

Remember also the network is its own authority, it is to operate autonomously as programmed and rewards are done according to the network needs. And content for people to get is a need. We need people to use the network to view or download or else the network dies.

PtP is an enticement, it is not an arbitrator of desirability. It is the people who get the data who become the arbitrators of the quality and if the provider deserves anything. Also remember that the provider gets nothing just for uploading the files, its the users who get it that triggers PtP rewards based on their (overall) GETs

Poor content gets virtually no PtP rewards as only people peaking at the content cause that tiny bit. But good content gets a reasonable amount because people hear about it and lot more people look at all the file. And if it goes viral then the provider may get his/her upload costs refunded over time via ptp rewards

2 Likes

Problem with PtP is how does one ensure its not being abused by bot views etc. If I was trying to take advantage of the network, whats to stop me from getting a bot army to sit there like zombies doing GETs to my resource. I am sure this has probably popped up in discussion and I am curious if any viable solutions to prevent spam of that nature have been solved. Potentially some form of source to desto trace by an arbitrary id showing its a dup users hitting it over and over again mindlessly? In an anonymous network I would think stopping PtP fraud would be crazy hard.

2 Likes

Caching. And so what are you going to do pay heaps for a bot to earn pennies. Only a true global interest in the file will gain any amount of rewards worth looking at

This has all been discussed before and there really wasn’t a definite way to game it. We need to test it, and that will help expose any downside not already discussed in the PtP topic

I suggest takihng anymore discussions to that topic

EDIT: Yes @jeremyjpj0916 the exact same argument you made is equally valid for app dev rewards and farming rewards. Just some people think PtP is paying for nothing. No PtP is paying for the most valuable commodity of the network DATA/Files But only when people want to see that data

Lets discuss here

3 Likes

Depending on cost to upload, I currently have about 14TB on my servers to upload as a backup. As time goes on and confidence grows, I will start replacing that data as space offered to the network and the network will become primary holder. My “can not lose this” stuff will still live on both until extreme confidence is achieved.

3 Likes

Sorry guys for the question but why u will be uploading backups on the network instead of keeping them into an external HDD?

They should be more safe, easier to access and no more checking good condition of HDD.

3 Likes

Same reason the SAFE network will be better then servers. Sure an external HDD or some kind of cloud storage is better then no back up. What if there is a fire at your house or the data center though? Then its lost. With the SAFE network there won’t be one location that can get hit by lightning and destroy everything. To lose you data on the safe network many specific places would have to be hit by lighting (and all at once before it had time to recover)

4 Likes

I have 1-2 TB I’d like to upload. I think much I’d just upload as published data. I miss the file sharing of the past where people would share their whole hard-drive or at least make a public section of their drive to share. Now all that data is mostly locked up (perhaps deleted even). SAFE could bring so many files out of hiding. For example I have lots of tracker module files laying around and if I look at the various demoscene archive sites, I see that many are not on any websites now.

I wonder if I could still get data out of my old QIC-80 tapes and floppy disks to upload.

4 Likes