How is SAFE coded?

I heard its being made by GitHub,

Which is something I don’t understand.

Is it really that? Like, MaidSafe assigns micro tasks on GitHub and pays whoever can fulfill each task best, and then adds that into the code?

Or is the MaidSafe team personally coding everything themselves?

Interested, die-hard fan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s a source code generator powered by random mouse movements of coders from all over the world.
Then any code that can successfully compile is built and passed on to micro tasking testers who approve contributions that produce interesting-looking results.
And then finally the core teams from Canada and Scotland use that code to upload Linux ISOs on their respective ends while waiting for the other side’s upload to materialize on their side. When/if that happens, md5 checksums are made and - in order to completely ensure the possibility of error - safely passed to the sender for verification using Skype for Windows.

4 Likes

Github is a public repository for the code and an archive of all past changes to the repository. Right now almost if not all changes are coming from the MaidSafe staff.

Anyone can submit a change, but it will be checked by senior MaidSafe staff before it becomes part of the Master branch, or any branch they administer, such as Next.

Anyone can “fork” their own complete copy, and then administer and change that, and MaidSafe would be free to include changes from that in Master or Next, and vice versa.

At least that’s my understanding!

5 Likes

I wish Diaspora had had your enlightened view when Pistos was workong on his fork of Disaspora (diasp0ra.ca) which eventually diverged so much from the mainstream D* branch that it was cut off and he ended up going off to form his own social network Libertree. Awesome coding there but it makes me think that with all this discussion about forking that it’s important to be open to accepting improvements from forks as much as from giving improvements to forks, or just plain creating bridges and maintaining communication between forks that become very different in style (again mainstream diaspora and diasp0ra.ca). What if the D* devs had been more willing to work with Pistos on integration and federation of the mainstream and his particular fork? What if a fork of maidsafe forms and there’s a similar situation where we need to work on integration or risk losing the fork and having it become it’s own network?

The s/w is licensed under GPL so it is supposed to be that way - that the best fork becomes the mainstream.
You don’t create a fork so that you have something to do (like integration). You create a fork when you determine that you need a fundamentally different project, in which case you wouldn’t want to work on integration (although cross-pollination would still be possible.)
Because such changes don’t happen overnight, users would most likely have time to migrate their data or even run a forked version alongside the main branch (different data and s/w isolated within the same system). Also the threat of forking motivates the main project to be more accommodating to good proposals and lessens the not invented here syndrome.

4 Likes

…???

Huh?

How are mouse movements converted into code?

Or is this just bull

This sounds more like it.

Then wow, the project is pretty centralised. We have to fix that!

How can we inspire more coders to help??

That’s pretty urgent!!

1 Like

The mechanism is for PODs to get into coding, or individuals anywhere, both will be supported by bounties from MaidSafe Foundation (a Scottish Charity, not the company).

It’s up to us to spread the word about SAFE so that programmers who might like to help get to hear about why is so great.

2 Likes