How do I set up SAFE on windows

I downloaded safe.exe, safe-authd.exe and safe_vault.exe. I placed them in their respective folders: .safe/cli, .safe/authd and .safe/vault. I also added the path .safe/cli to PATH and can now call the Safe CLI from CMD. I can run the following commands: safe update, safe auth update, and safe vault update with no errors.

Is there something more I need to do? Because when I run safe networks check I get an error like this:

Creating 'C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Roaming\MaidSafe\safe-cli\config' folder for config file
Checking current setup network connection information...
[2020-06-13T11:35:30Z ERROR safe] safe-cli error: There doesn't seem to be a any network setup in your system. Unable to read current network connection information from 'C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Roaming\maidsafe\safe_vault\config\vault_connection_info.config': The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)

What else do i need to do to fully set up?

EDIT: The first error is fixed, thank-you to @Southside

I also tried creating an account with some test-safecoins and got this:

C:\Users\John Doe>safe auth start
Starting SAFE Authenticator daemon (safe-authd)...
safe-authd started (PID: 6952)

C:\Users\John Doe>safe auth create-acc --test-coins
Passphrase:
Password:
Creating a SafeKey with test-coins...
[2020-06-13T12:14:13Z ERROR safe] safe-cli error: [Error] NetDataError - Failed to allocate test coins: Unexpected: Connection timed out when bootstrapping to the network - CoreError::Unexpected::{"Connection timed out when bootstrapping to the network"}

If it helps, here are my safe_vault.log contents:

INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:27.665833400+01:00 [src\bin\safe_vault.rs:114] 

Running safe-vault v0.24.0
==========================
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:27.681839800+01:00 [C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\git\checkouts\quic-p2p-9a2715614ed5c99d\c6ae051\src\igd.rs:117] Fetched IP address from IGD gateway: V4(192.168.0.19)
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:27.683845500+01:00 [C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\git\checkouts\routing-616e72cf40f12bc0\4a092f0\src\node\mod.rs:129] eac668.. Bootstrapping a new node.
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:27.683845500+01:00 [src\vault.rs:128] Initializing new Vault as Adult
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:57.686839300+01:00 [C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\git\checkouts\quic-p2p-9a2715614ed5c99d\c6ae051\src\lib.rs:543] Node 167.172.55.70:12000 is unresponsive, removing it from bootstrap contacts; 0 contacts left
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:57.686839300+01:00 [src\bin\safe_vault.rs:156] Vault connection info: "192.168.0.19:48774"
INFO 2020-06-13T13:26:57.686839300+01:00 [C:\Users\runneradmin\.cargo\git\checkouts\routing-616e72cf40f12bc0\4a092f0\src\node\mod.rs:468] eac668..(?) Failed to bootstrap. Terminating.

EDIT 2: Thanks to @Southside again, I now know that the second error is normal because the shared section is down

Is there a way of knowing when the shared section is going to be up?
Thank-you in advance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Try this and let us know if you are still stuck

You now need the network configuration containing the details of a hardcoded contact that will bootstrap you to the shared section. If you have connected to this or previous iterations of our shared section then you may already have a shared-section network profile saved on your machine. You can confirm this and update it to the latest configuration using safe networks check :

$ safe networks check
Checking current setup network connection information...
Fetching 'my-network' network connection information from '~/.config/safe-cli/networks/my-network_vault_connection_info.config' ...
Fetching 'shared-section' network connection information from 'https://safe-vault-config.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/shared-section/vault_connection_info.config' ...

'shared-section' network matched. Current set network connection information at '~/.config/safe_vault/vault_connection_info.config' matches 'shared-section' network as per current config

If you don’t have a configuration in your results which points to the exact S3 location listed in the results above, you can add using safe networks add :

$ safe networks add shared-section https://safe-vault-config.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/shared-section/vault_connection_info.config
Network 'shared-section' was added to the list

Now you need to ensure you are set to use this shared-section configuration that we have updated/added, we can use safe networks switch shared-section for this:

$ safe networks switch shared-section
Switching to 'shared-section' network...
Fetching 'shared-section' network connection information from 'https://safe-vault-config.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/shared-section/vault_connection_info.config' ...
Successfully switched to 'shared-section' network in your system!
If you need write access to the 'shared-section' network, you'
7 Likes

I did that, and now the first error is gone, thank-you for that

5 Likes

Yes, that’s as far as any of us will get for now with the shared-section.
It started well then failed after about 5-6 hours. Work is ongoing to determine the cause of the failure and a work-around.
For now however you seem to be set up and can participate as soon as we have a working-shared section.

You CAN run your own section at home and I will post links to that shortly or you can search “baby-fleming” in the forum.

Just to check, please paste the output of
safe auth status
and
safe networks

3 Likes

I see, so it isn’t an error on my end. Thanks.

The output of safe auth status is:

+------------------------------------------+--------+
| SAFE Authenticator status                |        |
| Authenticator daemon version             | 0.0.10 |
| Logged in to a SAFE account?             | No     |
| Number of pending authorisation requests | 0      |
| Number of notifications subscribers      | 0      |

and the output of safe networks is:

+----------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Networks       |                                                                                                  |
+----------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Network name   | Connection info location                                                                         |
| shared-section | https://safe-vault-config.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/shared-section/vault_connection_info.config |
5 Likes

Yes - that output is as expected.
I have just fired up Windows on my laptop so I can follow along with Windows users problems.

6 Likes

Okay great. Thanks for helping me. I’ll just wait for the public section to go live again then. Will there be a post saying when it’s live? How is one meant to know when its live?

5 Likes

You can run your own local section if you want to start playing with CLI and commands to create an account, upload data to it: https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-api/blob/master/safe-cli/README.md#run-a-local-network

5 Likes

I am unable to connect to a local baby-fleming with the latest vault binary.

1 Like

Make sure you have latest CLI v0.14.0 (safe -V), and perhaps make sure you don’t have any vault running (safe vault killall), then try again, I just tried locally and it’s working fine for me on Linux. I assume you do have latest vault (v0.24.0), but you can also double check by trying to update it with safe vault update.

4 Likes