How can a non-coder get started on coding?

Just to get started coding I’m trying to build this one below. And also try to understand what I’m doing :smile:. It’s not RUST but one has to start somewhere. To do so, one has to be on Windows. Install Visual Studio Express 2013 (free) and then create an C#-project using the Windows Form Application. When you build the file, you’ll find an executable .exe in the Directory your project is saved. A great way to start coding IMHO.

5 Likes

HI @whiteoutmashups

I too am a non-coder for the moment.

I have previously written (copied, lol) some very basic HTML. JS and CSS for some of my old websites and blogs.

Recently I have had an increased drive and motivation to learn how to program, mainly to up skill myself and also be able to teach my kid a thing or two when she is older.

I have started off recently doing very basic things which are not even considered coding such as playing with MS DOS by making my computer shut down and spit out funny messages or writing batch files to start up certain programs on my computer. Both are fun and provide instant gratification.

You can also (if using firefox or chrome) mess around with what you see on websites by right clicking, inspect element and then changing the colors or height and width of things.

I also use the code.org site which is awesome as well as other resources like Khan academy and watch plenty of videos on youtube.

The thing I have realised recently is that you cant really ‘learn to code’ which is what I always thought, just like you cant ‘learn to cook’ or ‘learn to build a house’. You eventually learn to do all of those things by solving small problems and breaking down the learning curve into bits and pieces that you master one at a time.

For example with the cooking analogy you would start off as a kid with your parents watching them, then they would let you pour the flour, milk and crack the eggs for into the bowl for Sunday pancakes, then you would spread your own butter on your bread, cut and dice veggies and eventually cook an egg all by yourself. Bit by bit you ‘learn to cook’.

Its the same with coding and anything else. Find a small problem to solve and go about solving it. My next goal is to build a program that automatically emails me my weekly fitness and weightless reports from myfitnesspal along with some sort of motivational or congratulatory message.

Don’t learn to code, learn to solve problems and do it bit by bit just like a child learns to cook by stirring a bowl of pancake mix :smile:

4 Likes