How are Storage Space and Storage Costs Calculated?

Any file saved on MaidSafe will potentially be compressed and deduplicated. This means the original file size may be larger than the total storage space required on the network.

When charging users for storage space, will the user pay for the amount of storage needed to save the original file or will the user pay for the amount of storage actually consumed on the network?

Another way to ask that question; if I have a large file and I make an identical copy, does my storage cost increase by a factor of two or do I only pay for the additional meta-data?

1 Like

Storage consumed.

Yes you only pay for additional metadata, it is very small. You can do things like make a new dir foe every month etc. but there will likely be no need as all data is versioned at the dir level. We will be able to build in a time-machine like interface.

1 Like

Interesting.

Let’s say User A and User B both download the latest Ubuntu image. User A is the first person to store the image and stores the file privately. User B is the second person to store the image and stores the file publicly.

There is an implication that User A will pay the maximum storage cost; while User B will pay the most minimal storage cost and is likely to profit by distributing the file.

Original content creators (User A) should be entitled to some reward (exponentially decreasing?) the first few times other user benefit from a deduplicated block. In my imagination the reward, over time, should approach/equal the original cost of creating/storing the content.

Sorry, I haven’t spent much time researching how farming actually works; I’m questioning rather extemporaneously and might not fully grasp the cost-reward mechanism.

Normal data is cool, just delete and get a refund. For original content creators artists etc. then this is a pretty huge area to ‘fix’. There are some options and this forum has discussed it many times so far. There are also projcts aimed at answering that question.

degoo offers 10tb for 100$ for lifetime, how will safe network be priced, do we have a estimate by someone good at estimates (I know is bad practice to have estimates but sometimes it doable) so is it doable to have a accurate estimate, or does someone has some grasp to say for immutable data from x dollars to y dollars?

edit: I know that the safe network offers something that others dont offer also the price is dependent on other pros you get by the safe network so its ok to be pricier or not have a lifetime cost but a monthly cost

1 Like

The farming rate is in place to find this price in real time. It will be the cheapest that people are prepared to give up some space for (farm). We will know that price when the network launches, but it is the minimum folk are prepared to sell it for, so should be cheaper than any options currently known. I mean cheaper with no strings, so not X for free and we want tor data and all that jazz. Just simple market supply/demand, nothing clever just use all the unused space on computers across the world.

3 Likes

I just read this:

so I am really covered! :smiley:

2 Likes