Hot air balloon mesh network

Ok I know Google or some big Corp is doing something like this but here’s the idea anyway. We have a mesh net on the ground and somehow get a satellite in orbit but the signal lag sucks because of the distance. But what if we set up nodes in the atmosphere at varying altitudes using drones or even solar powered hot air balloons. Sunlight converts to heat, heat is used to convert to lift and up you go. If something fails the node falls to earth slowly rather than crashing as a drone might. For higher altitudes we might send up some helium balloons or use drones but the general point is just create a relay Web to get to the sati lites in orbit. The cost of putting something in space is coming down so it’s not unreasonable to assume at some point the network could fund the launch of orbital nodes.

So I guess what I’m looking for here is feedback and discussion. Am I nuts? Is this feasible? Is it too complicated? Wasn’t sure where to post this so I put it in related projects. What do you all think?

2 Likes

Air currents higher up are pretty constant, you wouldn’t even need solar power or hot air, just a big kite really.

Folks have already made a large kite that actually generates rather than consumes power :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand your goal here, but you won’t speed up the ground - satellite communications link by placing relay nodes between them, the opposite in fact.

There is no way to speed up the transmission from ground to /from a satellite because the limit is effectively the speed of light. The delay is due to the distances involved, so the only option is to reduce the transmission distance, which you can do by using lower orbit relays, which is where drones and balloons come in - by avoiding going up to space wherever possible. Or, even drilling holes through the earth! Enter Elon Musk :wink:

1 Like

Kind of what I’m getting at. Building an atmospheric mesh relay network so there’s less distance between the ground and the nodes in orbit.

1 Like