Guys we need the Safe Network by July 29!

So, Microsoft is giving away windows 10 (Yay?!?). has anyone read the agreements and requirements? and the privacy we are all giving up with this thing? should the Safe Network even support the Windows operating system? deep inside within the agreements it states that
once you install Windows “updates cannot be deferred indefinitely” (this means they own your computer), that in order to use the OS you must meet the system requirements that include “a microsoft account and Internet connection” (why?). there’s multiple mentions of Syncing files with their cloud (guess what it’s not just OneDrive anymore!). it also states in the many settings that information will be shared with Microsoft. when it comes to updates you have two options: automatic or prompted. They are sending Keystrokes to Microsoft (for spelling purposes of course) and listening to you (for Cortana your friendly Virtual Personal assistant of course) and windows defender cannot be uninstalled or disabled because they want to make sure that no software gets installed in order to be uninstallable.

anyways if the Maidsafe Network goes live on windows OS and they have keyloggers to capture your username and password won’t they have our passwords and usernames? will maidsafe even install in the new windows (is the Safe Network too Safe for you).

I know that these guys are busting their butts on getting things up and running but
all news around us are alarming when it comes to privacy and security.
so don’t stress guys but we need this Yesterday!

3 Likes

I don’t think they’re going to be installing a keylogger on the non developer preview installs. And there is at least a guide for disabling Windows Defender on the internet, so the validity of that claim seems shaky. But the whole updates being mandatory thing seems legit and quite scary from a privacy/ownership standpoint.

I do agree with you that nobody should actually use Windows for anything requiring anything approaching a semblance of security without taking precautions… But the situation isn’t quite as dire as you’ve made it out.

I wonder if once some kind of smart contract sort of dealie becomes possible, you could set up single-use (or hardware) tokens for your password or even an extra credential… That’d at least mitigate keylogging as a threat.

2 Likes

Windows was built for looking through. Users are liable for the OS they use.

The best we can do is suggest whatever we consider are the better options for OS and hardware - those which lend themselves to better privacy; security; and freedom. SAFE can only do so much… if you have someone looking over your shoulder, then they will see what you are doing. That shouldn’t be a surprise but it’s worth making that point to noobs who are less experienced.

Also, we can wait … all good things come in time.

Solution: Install Ubuntu (or any linux os for that matter).

Benefits: It’s open source - this means that no one can install backdoors, and even if they did, you could remove them; it’s free - so Canonical doesn’t care if you install updates or not, although you really should! It’s way more secure than windows! There are thousands of different versions you can choose from!

Drawbacks: Not all software will work natively on linux, although you can use WINE to run windows programs. There is a bit of a learning curve when switching from windows.

If you would like to give it a try, PM me and I can help you install it alongside your windows OS if you would like. Installing it is really easy, just download the live cd/usb image, burn it to a cd, and boot it up! You don’t even need to install it to try it out. I’ve been using Ubuntu on my computer for over a year, and I haven’t needed to boot up Windows for months. The only reason I still have windows on my computer is because I want to try out Windows 10. :smile:

3 Likes

Speaking of “backdoors” and privacy… Ubuntu might not be the distro you are looking for. There may be parts of Ubuntu which transmit personal data to Canonical who might then make such data available to Amazon.

And, not all distros are built the same. Here is a list of distros that are not endorsed by GNU: Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other Systems - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

There are not that many distros that are completely GNU. I looked at their list, and I’ve never even heard of any of them. Ubuntu is definitely better than Windows as far a proprietary blobs and transmitting personal data goes. It may not be perfect, but if you’re not paranoid, I think Ubuntu walks the line between convenience and security quite nicely.

1 Like

I think this quickly leads to hacked modded versions of Windows 10. I think this backfires. They may have made themselves defacto GPL3. Maybe it gets so bad people can’t even tell which version they’ve downloaded unless they go through the trouble of looking.

This could be an opening for a better more user friendly OS and its definitely a request for a SAFE OS. One of the problems with corporates and not restricting them is they follow a best practice abuse standard, if Apple looks successful they almost always interpret in terms of encroachment on the public.

Huh, disregard what I said.

This article talks about the user agreements.
Here’s the real kicker part of the agreements:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your
content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith
belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process,
    including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Sorry, plenty of edits for formatting after posting.

So… Only me and microsoft have access to my encrypted files! and Microsoft gave itself permission to share it with whomever they want!?!

What’s the point of encryption?

There are so many scary things in these terms and conditions! I’m surprised they didn’t give themselves permission to put an anal probe to track you and sell you TP just before you go to the bathroom!

Sorry for my ranting but I can already see people accepting this just so they can play with angry birds, FB, Twitter and whatever other reason people prefer windows.

Heck if I was on windows 10 I would probably wouldn’t be able to write all this without sending a red flag to Microsoft.

Also, when device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for the user’s device is automatically backed up online in the Microsoft OneDrive account.

5 Likes

And this is a joke no more (referencing your storage in explorer etc)

XP - My Computer

Win 7 - Computer

Win 10 - Microsoft’s Computer

6 Likes