GridCoin - Distributed Computing with BOINC

Since distributed computing is something planned in the future, I thought I’d mention GridCoin that rewards miners (they are called Researchers) with GridCoin for contributing computer resources used for processing all sorts of scientific projects using BOINC. BOINC is an open source distributed computing solution created by UC Berkeley.

Since BOINC is open source, maybe the code may be useful with the Safe Network.

GridCoin:

BOINC:

Run BOINC on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc

3 Likes

The security in BOINC is likely too weak for general grid computing. The reason why BOINC works is probably that few people (so far) bother to attack it.

"Many types of attacks are possible in volunteer computing.

• Result falsification. Attackers return incorrect results.
  • Credit falsification. Attackers return results claiming more CPU time than was actually used.
  • Malicious executable distribution. Attackers break into a BOINC server and, by modifying the database and files, attempt to distribute their own executable (e.g. a virus program) disguised as a BOINC application.
  • Overrun of data server. Attackers repeatedly send large files to BOINC data servers, filling up their disks and rendering them unusable.
  • Theft of participant account information by server attack. Attackers break into a BOINC server and steal email addresses and other account information.
  • Theft of participant account information by network attack. Attackers exploit the BOINC network protocols to steal account information.
  • Theft of project files. Attackers steal input and/or output files.
  • Intentional abuse of participant hosts by projects.
  • A project intentionally releases an application that abuses participant hosts, e.g. by stealing sensitive information stored in files.
  • Accidental abuse of participant hosts by projects. A project releases an application that unintentionally abuses participant hosts, e.g. deleting files or causing crashes.

BOINC provides mechanisms to reduce the likelihood of some of these attacks." – https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/SecurityIssues

3 Likes

Folding Coin has been working with Folding@home for about a year or so…

Participants register at Folding@home, join Folding Coin team (at Folding@home), then they register their bitcoin address and Folding@home Node ID with Folding Coin.

Then they run Folding@home and Folding Coin can see how much work you’ve done. They pay participants with FoldingCoin tokens based on work done. One can use those tokens on LetsTalkBitcoin or sell them for bitcoin on a Distributed Exchange. Earnings aren’t big (unless you have a big compute farm) but it helps research and unlike with pure Folding@home, there are small rewards for participants. Another thing to like about this is that it’s quite simple and requires almost no trust (as performance is measured by Folding@home, not the Folding Coin guys, and all stats are public).

1 Like

I would also add that in addition to the security concerns it is pretty heavy on your machine, reminds me of running Norton Antivirus. That said it is working for some really decent causes and the mining (researcher) model is much more efficient than bitcoin’s.

2 Likes

I remember the “heaviness” from the Grid s/w from ages ago (10 years?).

Folding@home has a CPU slider so you can throttle it (100% CPU info w screensaver on, any preferred % at other times), probably the Grid guys too.

Because Gridcoin and FoldingCoin use complementary resources (mostly CPU), Safecoin farmers could run one of these at the same time (at least until such time there is a native app for SAFE).

1 Like

I shall be a bit more patient as SAFE comes to fruition.

1 Like

These are two projects I found when researching distributed computation before. I haven’t thoroughly investigated them though.

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/project/Fairplay/FairplayMP.html

Maidsafe should create its own BOINC-like projects, when distributed computing is working.