Google Project Loon - Baloon Powered Internet for Everyone

WHAT IS PROJECT LOON?

Many of us think of the Internet as a global community. But two-thirds of the world’s population does not yet have Internet access. Project Loon is a network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, designed to connect people in rural and remote areas, help fill coverage gaps, and bring people back online after disasters.

decentralize the baloons - Go MaidSafe - Fly the Loons over China, Argentina, Africa, Drop Android devices not bombs.

And of course FB too.

The motto is: “We’ll suck your data for free”

I think it will set a good precedent; I mean baloons = no expensive rocket launchers.

Lol well MaidSafe would mean the end of Google’s profits…

So idk if they’ll be in business next year or the year after, to see this through.

Uh, no.
Google will be able to monetize vast majority of content for a number of years.

• Current news (MaidSafe needs a distributed search engine)
  • Video content (content authors will prefer to use platforms that allow them to monetize their content; the same content will find its way to MaidSafe, but Google will still be able to monetize whatever content authors post on YouTube)
  • Applications and cloud hosting (MaidSafe will have its apps, but initially a number of popular apps (like SQL-driven apps) will not be able to run well on the SAFE network)

Years will pass before MaidSafe can significantly impact revenue streams of Google and Facebook, but at least soon we’ll have something to start building on.

It is not inconceivable that at some point Google could start storing some of their (their customers’) data on MaidSafe and keep showing their ads and tracking users the way they do it now.

I respect u, Mr. Janitor.

But I also disagree :slight_smile:

I agree completely that MaidSafe is like an auto-monetizer for huge digital companies without/with targeted advertisement on their content, @whiteoutmashups what do you suggest on the contrary; isn’t it great if google will provide more nodes to the network despite the fact that the design of farming is to be somewhat more favorable to ordinary computers?

if google will provide more nodes to the network despite the fact that the design of farming is to be somewhat more favorable to ordinary computers?

Post post edit; this has yet to be seen how this works; and certainly in the farming phase of testnet 3 there will be tests of ‘onmetal’ :wink: servers vs desktop implementations this I know for certain. Ultra CPU + high capacity HDD vs moderate cpu/ram and high capacity HDD, and of course my greatest intrigue regarding farming is high capacity low HDD capacity set ups.

Dude totally,

I think the 'loon vision is perfect,

But I don’t think that justifies Google and don’t want to perpetuate that type of predatory business model.

Internet for everyone is amazing, and the balloon idea is amazing.

What I see happening is MaidSafe undercutting Google, allowing it to die off,

And instead, allowing much easier crowd-funding of all types of projects though SafeCoin (because the currency would be millions of times easier to crowd-fund with than anything that exists today)

And this type of crowd-funding would inevitably lead to people creating projects that bring internet to the globe.

Maybe they’ll even use this solar powered balloon idea,

Unless a better idea comes along first :slight_smile:

But death to Google!
Long live freedom and privacy!