Gooey a Terminal GUI

Great work @Josh and you have an excellent helper which makes you…An effective team.

Bonus lines of Python to write unless you can name that movie. I’ll know if you ask ChatGPT because it will be wrong :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Mark, no idea whats the movie?
What kinda started this off was me looking at Vdash to see of I could make heads or tails of it, to get it working again (but now you have so yay) realized that I was way out of depth and promptly moved on! :laughing:

1 Like

The movie is Oblivion, which I think is an apt name for movie about a planet populated by millions of Tom Cruise clones. :boom: Actually it’s a movie I like a lot and watch periodically.

If you want to have another go at vdash anytime I’ll be happy to help. I doubt I’ll be doing much so anyone interested in helping out would be very welcome.

But you have your own thing now and I wouldn’t want you to stop enjoying that! Gooey is obviously going to be useful in itself, but also in showing others how they can produce cross platform Safe apps using Python. Nice work. :clap:

4 Likes

dunno if this has been discussed but iirc, safe-cli commands all have an option to output json, which could then be displayed nicely in the GUI, eg in a table, perhaps with human readable file sizes.

Or at least a monospace font should fix the textual column alignment…

probably such niceties are in the pipeline…

7 Likes

For sure, v0.2.0 will be more refined. V0.1.0 is a brain dump POC.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing The 3S!

Been working on Gooey v0.2.0 and am hesitant about node join

For context the aim of Gooey is to provide a simple point and click experience for users who are not comfortable with the command line.

I am midway through implementing point and click node join but am wondering if at this stage of the network development making it too easy for inexperienced users to add and remove nodes is counterproductive.

Obviously many wont be able to join anyway, nonetheless… thoughts?

Perhaps a slight barrier to adding nodes is desirable.

5 Likes

I’d leave it for now.
Perhaps implementing some wallet/DBC commands would be more appropriate for your audience?

4 Likes

I think it would be really useful to see a node GUI done right! That would helps those of us new to the idea - some checklist ticking off the steps as it initiates and a suggestion of the blocker… I’m put off trying atm for the sense that the router is not the right one; and/or the portforwarding is not right; and/or unknown unknowns.

For my CLI I’m steering clear of safe networks; safe node, as I consider them a different case; … and to note for now at least holding off safe auth and safe wallet until those evolve and I understand them better.

Encouraging anyone that they have what is needed for running a node, has to be a good idea - and messaging that it’s important if they do run a node to keep it running as long as possible…

A hard task but if you’ve had success running nodes then you know what to look for…

2 Likes

Yeah this too is a consideration.
Will they abide?

The goal of helping new users participate should not work against the success of a test network. That is my concern.

I am not certain if nodes coming and going rapidly is still an issue or nearly/already resolved?

2 Likes

Keep them entertained with some integration with vdash… I doubt a gui is going to spawn spam… worst case users might start it once to check its possible and shut it down but how many is that going to be. Unlikely a persistent on/off will occur from many people.

2 Likes

My thinking on the various GUI projects that have sprung up is

THey are a VERY welcome step even if they encourage only a few more folk to participate.

The perfect must not be allowed to become an enemy of the good

It does not really matter if there is little to no “polish” on them. That function will be performed very well by @JimCollinson and likely others as well later once the core functionality (of the GUI) is determined.
Also bear in mind that @JimCollinson and others may have already done a lot of this work - one of the reasons I have not jumped in too deep here, preferring to concentrate on scripts for specific purposes.

Although if I can crack the “create a wallet and assign it a human-readable name” problem then I might change my mind and collaborate/fork the existing efforts.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you’re implementing this, but if you’re running the CLI process for each command, remember that node join is planned to be removed. I should be working on it hopefully quite soon.

3 Likes

Ahh yes, I was heavily leaning toward it being a future feature anyway. Ill keep the basics in place for the UI but leave it for now.

1 Like

Cool. Actually, sorry, I think it will be the whole node command that will go. Nothing to stop you building a GUI around the node binary itself though.

2 Likes

Another thing I need to consider is sudo bash for the install script.

I currently use the old non sudo install that I know you dont like. Easy enough to request a password but I don’t know that it will be welcomed by the user. Anyway just thought I would mention it as it may irritate you. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Haha, nah it’s cool, people can use whatever they prefer.

4 Likes

@danda I had to navigate the pitfalls of awk and sed deep into hell but :tada:

3 Likes

You have my deepest sympathy. Can we send you any form of aid? A nice quiet room to lie down in and a soothing drink? Paracetemol and Ibuprofen?
In similar circumstances, i plead utter ignorance and get some genius like @davidpbrown to sort it out for me. His brain is titanium-plated and can handle such horrors.

3 Likes

I did think about and remember you enjoying the experience too :joy:

2 Likes