Gooey a Terminal GUI

If anyone would like to try this, it works on Linux.

There is a binary for those living on the edge, otherwise the README will hopefully help you get it working.

Basic functionality is:
It will upload files to a network live or local.
It will get data from the network save it to temp and open the file.
Sorry forgot that this needed to change as I was having difficulties getting video files to play from temp, so it goes to downloads instead and is overwritten with each subsequent file to keep it as tidy as possible.

Much more to be done but friendly input and advice or suggestions to improve it is appreciated.
Getting it to work on Windows (remains to be determined if it is possible) is the goal as typical Linux users are familiar with the command line.

Find it here

ps. run-baby-fleming is not working for me today but NODE_COUNT=12 RUST_LOG=sn_node=info cargo run --release --bin testnet is.

22 Likes

are you using latest release or build main? cause yesterday main build run baby fleming worked!

1 Like

Latest release, I did not build.

3 Likes

Python is misbehaving on my machine. Think I’ll have to reinstall it, which it doesn’t want to let me do. I’ll have a try tomorrow. :+1:

4 Likes

If you try pip install tkinter

and get the errror

Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tkinter (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for tkinter

then sudo apt-get install python-tk

wlll let you move forward

ref python - Why is there no tkinter distribution found? - Stack Overflow

5 Likes

thank you Josh, I am inspired by your Gooey I will try to make something using Rust as I want to have a project to show to possible interships interviews!!!

4 Likes

Could you reproduce the functionality of Gooey using tauri?

3 Likes

I think Mark is the man? :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I went through all that and reinstalled python. But…

Tada!

2 Likes

Oh I am sure Mark will be onto it once he has finished primping vdash but I really meant looking at a tauri driven Gooey as an intern project.

3 Likes

Put works but pasting in the container address safe://hyryyryox4fkeicat9eoihgacwrc7bgydfsp549sad89nmtrqbu5pki6c6onra?v=hcqhw94nxkqpwnyctgnu57pez399utz7mjg1buygf4ff3ztpptnko and hitting Get makes a blank file called download and opens the text editor. I guess that’s not the desired behaviour??

Edit- it works with the file name rather than the container.

Very nice @josh :clap: :clap: :clap:

5 Likes

Ahh containers were not even on the radar yet, will look at getting that working tonight.

4 Likes

It was just the ‘Get’ that made me think it would be for a container as you usually have to cat file > something

3 Likes

have Slint in the baking, it seems serious but will take a look at tauri too!

2 Likes

This is true, I have made an attempt here to make it more clear with prepoplated instructional text. There is probably a better name to use too, view?

1 Like

I reckon it should be fine for now. No-one’s granny’s going to be using it for a while. Upload/download would be the usual parlance I guess.

1 Like

Upload yes, but as the “downloaded” files are not permanently stored that could be confusing too. :neutral_face:
My thinking is that it is more of a viewer of what is on the network in the absence of a browser.

The first one saves as download and persists, for me at least.- Can you make it so the next one saves as download-1?

1 Like

And who would like to fix this?!

3 Likes

It should be overwritten with each “download”

Hopefully how it is working?