Goodbye from him (moderator) , and hello from me

Happybeing Thank YOU :sunny:

5 Likes

Does that mean you will not ban me anymore for, say, this?

Rock on, man. Thanks for your work.

9 Likes

I have always enjoyed your presents on this forum. You have always added a reasonable, mature energy to the discussions. I look forward to your future efforts! Thank you for all your hard work!

7 Likes

I’m only okay with your departure if that means you’ll be focusing on safePRESS! I’m only joking, I appreciate the effort you put in as a mod but man what a huge weight off the ol’ shoulders. Just stick around, and I was joking about joking, get to work on safePRESS.

2 Likes

A wee present for your efforts PSA: rustc/cargo can now be installed on ARM Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD using rustup/multirust - announcements - The Rust Programming Language Forum

I know you will like it. Now lets get those crates in order.

12 Likes

Thanks David :slight_smile: very nice present… although I already had Rust/Cargo installed for some time using multi-rust. I try building every so often but it fails in at least a couple of places (one is one of the external dependencies - something like nix?). I haven’t wanted to pester (tooooo much) and haven’t had time to poke around myself so just revisit once in a while. If it’s worthwhile me looking into this now let me know and I’ll set aside some of my new found spare time :wink:

2 Likes

And thank you again everyone - so many of you! What a fantastic community we have here. :heart_eyes:

A great tribute to David and the team he’s attracted, and which has attracted all of you great people, and me :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Solid effort Mark! Thanks for your guidance and the continual energy you have put into helping the community and this amazing project. I look forward to seeing the cheeky and argumentative posts from you soon :wink: I’m sure they will be balanced and well reasoned regardless.

4 Likes

So welcome, I guess, in the normal world :wink:

3 Likes

Happybeing, I know I echo the thoughts of the vast majority of the members of the forum when I say you will be missed in your role as a moderator. Often your voice was the only one of reason and acceptance for newbies and those who would ask obvious questions that those of us who had be around for awhile thought were unnecessary. To some extent the community has matured and many issues resolved, a lot of them with your assistance. As we move into MVP we do so with a debt of gratitude for your service and advice. All the Best!

9 Likes

All these comments are so beautiful. Thank you again for these. I’m so touched by your warmth and support.

I know I made plenty of mistakes too, but it is absolutely lovely to see that so many of you feel the urge to share these appreciations.

I hope it also gives comfort to the other moderators that they too are, highly appreciated. I know I was one of the first and have been quite a busy body, but I’m not the only one, and for almost all that time I had the back-room help and support of a growing team. Every one of whom proved their ability and helped us all grow together.

So dear @moderators, know that these comments are reflective of how people feel about the way we all moderated and use this to help you continue with a spring in your step. These appreciations aren’t just about me, how can they be. Hoorah! :joy:

7 Likes

The moderator team will be poorer without you.

It’s a thankless task though; smart move imo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not goodbye, so I’ll leave it there… no need to get too gushy here.

:thumbsup:

3 Likes

Noooooooooo…lol. :smile:
I’m really glad you are busy with other things (If Safe related, I mean!). Sorry if my part in our recent spats (with all mods and the system really though) caused any upset along the way - I really am, but if I feel an argument has to be made, then I have to make it, however unpopular that makes me with others - it’s just the way I am I’m afraid…
I’ve said it before that I think you are a very valued and well regarded asset to the community - it would definitely be much poorer without you - so glad you’re not going anywhere…
I’ve a feeling that hanging up your badge will certainly remove some pressure (the big red flag to my bull for one thing…lol )[quote=“dirvine, post:5, topic:8664”]
Buuttt now you are released to really say what you feel and be as cheeky, insightful and argumentative without being accused of power abuse will also be good I bet.
[/quote]
I think this is really important,…remember the debates back in the old days at the start of the forum…lol? Anyway, I look forward to arguing with you again on equal terms…the gloves are off!..Ooer… :smile:
Good luck with whatever it is that is taking up your time btw.

6 Likes

Actually I have to say that from time to time it was fun to read the struggles between you and @happybeing. Probably not all to funny for @happybeing #timeconsuming, but it sure served the forum entertainment :wink:

2 Likes

@Al_Kafir it’s all part of a community - different views - mud wrestling - yes, I of course remember our no holds barred discussions by PM in the early days. :slight_smile: All part of getting to know each other.

I respect you and who you are, and that’s it really. Better if we can avoid getting personal, or missing the real person etc, but we’re all human and we all make mistakes because that’s how we learn (hopefully :slight_smile:). Apart from me that is, I’ve never made a mistake ever. Show me the evidence! :wink:

Gloves off eh? I’d rather it was pool queues at lunchtime. One day hey :slight_smile:

7 Likes

oh - this is a little bit a sad day now :confused: :anguished:

but absolutely understandable! you have done so much here and did it for so long! THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!! :hugging:

now we’ll just rock safenet together as regular users!!! :smiley: this will be fun too!

I wish the other @moderators all the best for the coming days!!! I suppose it won’t be an easy task to do always “the right thing” but i’m glad you are here and i know you do your very best =) and as far as i’m concerned you are doing a pretty good “job” here =)
(i don’t say that i always agree with your decisions :wink: but you are great mods and i hope you won’t get frustrated too much because of me and others posting stupid comments from time to time :smiley: :heart_eyes: when we meet some day i’ll gladly buy you as much beer as you can drink ;D [as long as i’m not broke xD ])

3 Likes

This forum has moderators? :wink:

Actually they’re not too bad; no obvious gatekeepers or power freaks.

A thankless job that I would decline.

4 Likes

Yes it does, there is a control c handler which we do not need. It can be removed (I have locally) and yes “nix” which is actually fixed. The culprit is “mio” which needs to publish a version update as it’s master should now use nix 0.5 AFAIK. I think this is all the issues though, so worst case we can create a fork for a little while and publish that to get around this. We will see, but I don’t think it’s a blocker for us. I do want this all working on ARM As well, I know @vinipsmaker does to :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for all the effort Mark. We could always rely on you for considered input and 100% commitment.

7 Likes