Ok, so I’m going to get right to the point, i don’t know if the development team already designed Safenetwork this way but, if not, the development should seriously think about doing this or other ways to avoid geographical data centralisation.
To put it simply, right now they are designing the network to store data in a geographically decentralised manner, as to prevent continental shut downs, that’s great! However, they can’t control the geographical location of their users, or more specifically, farmers. We all know China for example, is responsible for 70% of Bitcoins mining power. So, if lets say, China also starts to produce or buy massive amounts of hard disks for farm safecoin, and so then contributes 90% of the total network available storage space, then if users continue to store content, after users fill up some of China’s 90% of and all of the rest of the worlds’, which only make up 10%, all the newly stored data after the 10% gets filled up will have no choice but to ALL BE IN CHINA!
So, this produces great concerns for if Chinese government decides to shut down it’s internet access to the outside world, for example, or finds a way to impede the safenetwork traffic connection by say, blocking all encrypted traffic, then potentially, MOST of the valuable data that’s stored on the network can be permanently lost.
To counter this, the team EITHER can have an algorithm that monitors data distribution in all areas, and stops accepting new data if the network is full other parts of the world, hence leaving most of the Chinese hard disks empty, and increasing the farming reward which encourages more farming in general from everyone, including the chinese, OR(and i think this is better) have the reward be dynamic based on how many people are farming in a specific region/continent, if more people is farming on a particular continent or region, the less reward they get, and the regions where not many people are farming, the more incentive they get per unit of resource they provide to the network.
This will also help accelerate worldwide adoption of the network i believe, as people in the region where it’s less adopted may have a really high reward and gets people really talking about it - imagine if you hear that you can leave your computer on and make $10/hour doing nothing, if you were to live in a very resource scarce region, that would increase the probability that people in that region who don’t farm too much to find out what it’s about. and people in a region where farming is more popular would already have more people talking about the safenetwork anyway. And it also resolves the difference in currency value worldwide, since, for example, $1USD is about $6.8 Chinese yuan, which provides great incentive for people in China to farm safecoin just like they’re mining bitcoin right now even if it’s not too worth it for the american people to do the same thing, so with the currency difference, even after implementing the first method it may not stop china from simply still getting more hard disks farming more, but the second way would. As they’ll get less safecoins as the total farmers in China increase, so it’ll make geographically even data distribution come to an equilibrium, and it’ll eventually make the geographic adoption of safecoin come to an equilibrium too as per reasons mentioned above.